3x/Week Full Body template

Hi,

I would like to get some opinions about my workout. I train 3x/week, fullbody routine:

1. Power clean - 6x3 @75%RM

2. Lunge 5x6
    3a. Military press - 5/3/1 SVR
    3b. Chin-up AMRAP

3. Deadlift - 5/3/1 SVR
    2a. Dip 5x6
    2b. DB row 5x6

4. Lateral raise 3x12

5. Overhead squat / zercger squat (alternating) - 5x5
    2a. DB incline bench press 5x6
    2b. Pendlay row 5x5

6. Ab-wheel 3x12

My main objective is to improve athletic performance (power clean, lunge, overhead squat etc) while getting stronger (deadlift, military press, pendlay row etc).

I can’t do back or front squats without knee pain (zero pain with zercher squats and overhead squats - too light). I don’t like barbell bench press. I prefer military press for upper body strength and dip/incline DB press for chest development.

What do you think?

Tks!

[quote]ldf07 wrote:

What do you think?

Tks![/quote]
I think you picked the exercises that you enjoy doing and put them down in sort of list format and called it a program. Part of the success of a program is buying into it, so in that respect, you are covered.

Try it and see if it helps you reach your goals.

I’m intrigued what you think is wrong with proven, tried and tested programs that you think this program fixes?

You will burn some calories and get a little more toned, but no huge transformation without squats and bench. No 20-30 lbs of lean mass. No big strength gains.

I have no ACL, a torn meniscus, and arthritis in my right knee (none are from lifting). I squat 2x bodyweight easily. Get under the bar and find a way to squat that minimizes pain and doesn’t damage your knee. I keep vertical shins and use a low-bar position like many powerlifters and my knee is fine (read Rippetoe). Bench big, squat big, and then fit whatever else you can in afterward.

Looks good to me. You are concentrating mostly on compound lifts in rep ranges that would seem to support your goals. I’m a big believer that almost any program will work if you are consistent with it and focus on progression. I’ve had great results on full body programs very similar to the one you outlined. One of my big turning points in the iron game was when I realized that there are no sacred movements. If dips, zerchers and presses work better for you than back squats and bench, then by all means focus on those. You will be far further ahead with a program you believe in than one you won’t stick with.

[quote]CMdad wrote:
Looks good to me. You are concentrating mostly on compound lifts in rep ranges that would seem to support your goals. I’m a big believer that almost any program will work if you are consistent with it and focus on progression. I’ve had great results on full body programs very similar to the one you outlined. One of my big turning points in the iron game was when I realized that there are no sacred movements. If dips, zerchers and presses work better for you than back squats and bench, then by all means focus on those. You will be far further ahead with a program you believe in than one you won’t stick with.

Thanks, man. I will stick with this template for the next 6 months and see the results.

[/quote]

[quote]thegymismyshrink wrote:
You will burn some calories and get a little more toned, but no huge transformation without squats and bench. No 20-30 lbs of lean mass. No big strength gains.

I have no ACL, a torn meniscus, and arthritis in my right knee (none are from lifting). I squat 2x bodyweight easily. Get under the bar and find a way to squat that minimizes pain and doesn’t damage your knee. I keep vertical shins and use a low-bar position like many powerlifters and my knee is fine (read Rippetoe). Bench big, squat big, and then fit whatever else you can in afterward.[/quote]

I will read Rippetoe and see if I can change my squat form in order to avoid pain. Thanks for the advice.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
I’m intrigued what you think is wrong with proven, tried and tested programs that you think this program fixes?[/quote]

I have done “proven, tried and tested programs” the last 3 years. Unfortunately, many of them focus on the squat (madcow, texas method, stronglifts), so I stoped when my knee started to hurt. My favorite program is 5/3/1 (SVR, pyramid, FSL, joker sets, beach body challenge), but, again, the problem is the squat. And I really don’t like BB bench press.

That’s why I tried to make my own program, focusing on “proven, tried and tested” exercises.

Maybe Incline DB Bench instead of Decline since dips resemble more of a decline bench movement and you have them in your routine

[quote]ldf07 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
I’m intrigued what you think is wrong with proven, tried and tested programs that you think this program fixes?[/quote]

I have done “proven, tried and tested programs” the last 3 years. Unfortunately, many of them focus on the squat (madcow, texas method, stronglifts), so I stoped when my knee started to hurt. My favorite program is 5/3/1 (SVR, pyramid, FSL, joker sets, beach body challenge), but, again, the problem is the squat. And I really don’t like BB bench press.

That’s why I tried to make my own program, focusing on “proven, tried and tested” exercises.[/quote]

That’s fair. As long as you have good reasons. I think it would be worth your while investigating why you get pain from squats, even if you don’t plan to do them.

Look up Chad W’s full botdy WO.

If your knees hurt, get them fixed.

I don’t bench either, I do ring presses. I do what doest hurt. And yes, they are being looked after.

Btw, the challenge is not a program and it is suppose to be hard.