3RM Ramp Progression Model

CT,

I have been using a few of your methods blended together and have been loving the training. Currently I am using a ramp to a 3RM, followed by Cluster sets with the weight reached that day during the ramp. The following day I am using the “double stimulation” method in terms of the muscle worked for strength on the previous day, using the Growth Factor Training principles you outlined. My question is, if I plan on using this method for a prolonged period of time, what is the best way to organize my weeks in terms of progression.

I was thinking Possibly something like this?:
Week 1: 3 cluster sets, 3 rounds of assistance pump work on the following day
Week 2: 3 cluster sets, 4 rounds of assistance pump work
Week 3: 4 clusters, 4 rounds pump work
Week 4: 4 clusters, 5 rounds pump work
Week 5: 5 clusters, 5 rounds pump work
Week 6: Either a test week/Restart?

I am just having trouble deciding the best way to focus on progression due to the fact that the ramp is not based on percentages, and is more so how the body feels on a daily basis.

Id love your insight on this, and thanks again in advance!

I thought it worth while to say here as well that my body responds fairly well to lower volume, so there’s plenty of room to gradually increase volume in order to progress

Well i cant really help you( and maybe i am wrong), but in my opinion if you increase your heavy lifting cluster work you shouldn’t also add more pump work.
e.g 3 cluster- 3 pump
4 cluster- 2 pump
5 cluster -1 pump
and not
5 cluster -5 pump

At least that was the case with a layer periodization.

[quote]Akidara wrote:
Well i cant really help you( and maybe i am wrong), but in my opinion if you increase your heavy lifting cluster work you shouldn’t also add more pump work.
e.g 3 cluster- 3 pump
4 cluster- 2 pump
5 cluster -1 pump
and not
5 cluster -5 pump

At least that was the case with a layer periodization.[/quote]

I agree with that comment. But I think that he is referring to next day pump work (double stimulation). In that case he wouldn’t have to decrease the amount of pump work but he shouldn’t increase it either.

CT was right in terms of the fact that I meant in terms of the second day pump work (double stimulation).

CT in terms of that then would you progress from something like 2-5 cluster sets after the ramp? Or introduce other methods following a few sets of clusters in terms of mapping out a progression scheme?

And how many rounds of assistance would you perform on the following day for the pump work? I have been performing them similarly to the shoulder training giant sets like the article you wrote recently.

Thanks again!

[quote]JoeAnderson wrote:
CT was right in terms of the fact that I meant in terms of the second day pump work (double stimulation).

CT in terms of that then would you progress from something like 2-5 cluster sets after the ramp? Or introduce other methods following a few sets of clusters in terms of mapping out a progression scheme?

And how many rounds of assistance would you perform on the following day for the pump work? I have been performing them similarly to the shoulder training giant sets like the article you wrote recently.

Thanks again![/quote]

If you are ramping to a 3RM, 5 clusters is too much. I learned that from experience.

I think that something like this would be better for long term progress:

WEEK 1: Work up to 3RM ; 90% 1 cluster set, 75% x 1 set of max reps
WEEK 2: Work up to 3RM ; 90% 2 cluster sets, 75% x 1 set of max reps
WEEK 3: Work up to 3RM ; 90% 3 cluster sets

WEEK 4: Work up to 2RM ; 90% 1 cluster set, 75% x 1 set of max reps
WEEK 5: Work up to 2RM ; 90% 2 cluster sets, 75% x 1 set of max reps
WEEK 6: Work up to 2RM ; 90% 3 cluster sets

WEEK 7: Work up to 1RM ; 90% 1 cluster set, 75% x 1 set of max reps
WEEK 8: Work up to 1RM ; 90% 2 cluster sets, 75% x 1 set of max reps
WEEK 9: Work up to 1RM ; 90% 3 cluster sets

*Percentage being of the top weight in the ramp

That is perfect, exactly what I was looking for thank you CT. I am planning on 4 rounds of pump work then here and will keep that steady throughout. I really appreciate your response. Thanks again!