T Nation

3rd Graders Don't Play!

I find this incredibly awesome and disturbing at the same time.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1726971,00.html

[i]
Tuesday, Apr. 01, 2008
Police: 3rd Graders Plotted to Attack Teacher
By AP/RUSS BYNUM

(WAYCROSS, Ga.) �?? Police say a group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward.

The plot by as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said Tuesday.

“We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely,” Tanner said. “We feel like if they weren’t interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don’t know.”

The children, ages 8 and 9, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said.

They could be expelled, but a prosecutor said they are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law.

Tanner said school officials alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had brought a weapon to school.

Police seized a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and a crystal paperweight from the students, who apparently intended to use them against the teacher, Tanner said.

The alleged target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with a range of learning disabilities, including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

Tanner said the scheme involved a division of roles. One child’s job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, he said. Another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

“We estimate between six to nine students were involved. … We’re not sure at this point in the investigation how many of the students actually knew the intent was to hurt the teacher,” Tanner said.

The parents of the students have cooperated with investigators, who aren’t allowed to question the children without their parents’ or guardians’ consent, he said. Authorities have withheld the children’s names.

Police expected to forward the results of their investigation to prosecutors, Tanner said.

Children in Georgia can’t be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said.

Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school system, told The Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville, Fla., that administrators would follow school system policy and state law in disciplining the students.

“From what I understand, they were considered pretty good kids,” Martin said. “But we have to take this seriously, whether they were serious or not about carrying this through, and that’s what we did.”

Four mothers of other third-grade students at Center Elementary called for the immediate expulsion of the suspected plotters.

Stacy Carter and Deana Hiott both cited school system policy stating that any student who brings “anything reasonably considered to be a weapon” is to be expelled for at least the remainder of the school year.

“We don’t want our children around them,” Carter told the Times-Union. “The one with the knife could have stabbed my child or someone else’s child at lunch or out on the playground.”

“This is an isolated incident, an aberration. … We have good kids,” Center Principal Angie Coleman told the newspaper.

[/i]

This world has gone to hell. When I was in third grade I liked abnormal things like “sports, Scooby-doo, Hi-C Fruit Punch,…”

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
[/quote]

I concur.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
[/quote]

The disturbing part deeply overshadows the awesome aspect. There’s definitely a problem here if 3rd grades are plotting to violently attack their teacher in a complexly premeditated manner.

What in the hell is wrong with these kids?

My neighbor is a 3rd grade elementary teacher and he was telling me about one of his kids who’s a real trouble maker.

One day he was bragging to his friends about how he had a knife. A teacher overheard and when he was in PE, the teacher looked inside his backpack but didn’t find anything. Instead, she found one of the coaches wallet.

I think the problem lies within the families. This kid I am talking about has a abusive father who drinks regularly. My friend has even told me he is pretty smart, but unfortunately, the kid does not have a good family support.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
I think the problem lies within the families.[/quote]

Very true. My belief is that everything starts with the family and ends with the individual. However, at such a young age, a child’s mind is incapable of logically determining ethical behavior or having any substantial sense of foresight. They simply know what is right and what is wrong, but in grey or uneducated areas, they are, for the most part, unable to discern such things.

This is gonna sound a little outrageous, but…

I kinda hear where the kids are coming from. When I was in the fifth grade, I sent death threats to three of my teachers for pretty much the same shit.

Looking back, I think a lack of social skills on my part did more to drive me to said idiocy moreso than did a rotten home-life (Both parents are still together and don’t drink). But still you end up with a basic need for approval and attention that the youth (in this case me) isn’t getting.

That said, my guess is that the woman in the article was teaching special ed kids with even less awareness of the consequences of their actions than normal kids. Hence, the elaborate plan.

Anyway, one more reason to lift heavy weights- comes in handy when fending off 12 pissed-off 8 year olds armed with broken steak knives.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
I think the problem lies within the families. This kid I am talking about has a abusive father who drinks regularly. My friend has even told me he is pretty smart, but unfortunately, the kid does not have a good family support.[/quote]

There have always been shitty families filled with abusive alcoholics, but I think crazy shit of this magnitude is completely new.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Jetric9 wrote:
I think the problem lies within the families. This kid I am talking about has a abusive father who drinks regularly. My friend has even told me he is pretty smart, but unfortunately, the kid does not have a good family support.

There have always been shitty families filled with abusive alcoholics, but I think crazy shit of this magnitude is completely new.[/quote]

Yeah, back in the day if your dad was a drunk and beat the shit out of you, you just grew up and more than likely turned into a drunk and beat the shit out of your kids. Now if your dad doesn’t tell you he loves you enough, you go to school and kill everyone. Times they are a changing.

Am I the only one who isn’t surprised that 3rd graders are capable of stuff like this? I mean, I think people don’t give young kids enough credit for how developed their thought processes are.

Lack of fear.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Lack of fear.[/quote]

Actually I think that’s a large part of it. Few hundred years back, kids knew they would get a serious beating for pulling off anything like this, possibly even for just badmouthing their teachers. These days, kids aren’t taught to respect authority, but to view themselves as oppressed, and see people in positions of authority as the bad guys. They also tend to think they’re invincible…something a few well-timed beatings when they’re young would’ve cured.

Every kid deserves a beating when they do something stupid. Obviously you can not put them in jail, and obviously they do not understand the circumstances. So, they will definitely understand a goon hand beating there ass.

At that age I wouldn’t blame the kids explicitly. The parents are the ones who should be examined.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Lack of fear.[/quote]

This kind of crap doesn’t happen in the chinese, korean, or japanese school system. Why? Effective use of corporal punishment.

Someone needs to beat the shit out of the parents. Stab them with a motherfuckin knife.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
meangenes wrote:
Lack of fear.

Actually I think that’s a large part of it. Few hundred years back, kids knew they would get a serious beating for pulling off anything like this, possibly even for just badmouthing their teachers. These days, kids aren’t taught to respect authority, but to view themselves as oppressed, and see people in positions of authority as the bad guys. They also tend to think they’re invincible…something a few well-timed beatings when they’re young would’ve cured. [/quote]

I like this reasoning too.

Beating off nine 3rd graders would be harder than it sounds I bet. Just don’t fall over… then you might get your leverage all fucked up.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…

It’s time to start the ‘War On Kids’

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
meangenes wrote:
Lack of fear.

Actually I think that’s a large part of it. Few hundred years back, kids knew they would get a serious beating for pulling off anything like this, possibly even for just badmouthing their teachers. These days, kids aren’t taught to respect authority, but to view themselves as oppressed, and see people in positions of authority as the bad guys. They also tend to think they’re invincible…something a few well-timed beatings when they’re young would’ve cured. [/quote]

Meh, this I agree and disagree with. I guess it would be what do you consider the cut off point for beatings? I’m 19 now, but at about 7th grade on had I ever been hit by my dad or teachers again I wouldn’t have to think twice about hurting them a hell of alot worse. My parents werent abusive by any means, in fact I think I was only spanked once. Maybe once was enough and you’re right.
These kids seem pretty dam clever though, I definitly give them points for strategy and not taking crap. Clear cut case of survival of the fittest.

[quote]dk44 wrote:
This world has gone to hell. When I was in third grade I liked abnormal things like “sports, Scooby-doo, Hi-C Fruit Punch,…” [/quote]

Hi-C? I was more of a Five-Alive guy myself.

Worse things than this have happened involving demented little kids. Thankfully these little monsters were caught before they hurt anyone.