T Nation

3Day Split?

Hi,

I'm a new member here (been a member at bb.com forums for a while but that forum's as useless as tits on a bull). I suppose I'll start by giving some background info on myself...

I'm 19 years old, 5'11", 165lbs and been lifting seriously for probably 9 months. I'm currently taking whey protein, casein protein, multivitamin, fish oil, green tea and am going to return to taking creatine soon. I'm consuming approx. 250g protein, 350g carbs, 60g fat.

My diet consists of protein coming from shakes, tuna, chicken, red meat and milk. Carbs from oats, brown rice and wholemeal bread and fats from fish oil and whatever else I eat.

To be brutally honest I am pretty disappointed in my progress thus far. Although I have made gains, I know I should have achieved more. I do gain weight, but the problem for me is the ratio of muscle-fat gain. I'm not even going to bother listing any lifts because they're pretty pathetic. I was at my strongest around 3 months ago, but since then things have stalled on pretty much every exercise.

I started with a 5-day split, then moved to a 4-day split. I am thinking about starting the following 3-day split:

Day 1: Chest/Delts/Triceps
Day 2: OFF
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: OFF
Day 5: Back/Biceps
Day 6: OFF
Day 7: REPEAT

I will (as I have been doing previously) concentrate on the basic exercises like Bench, Military Press, Dips, Skullcrushers, Squats, Leg Press, Pull-ups, Deadlifts and Barbell Rows. I will also do high-intensity cardio 2 times a week for 20min to prevent fat gain which I seem prone to.

Any comments/advice/criticism is welcome.

Since you are still a newbie. I would look to do Total body for your 3 day spilt and read Waterbury, Cosgrove, Thib, Cressey and Robertson then READ THEM AGAIN.

Keep at it!!
:slight_smile:
Lifted for 38yrs!! so don't stop

As bear said. Read some of the trainign articles on here. I would suggest, as bear said, to try Total Body for a change. Make sure you change your workouts regularly, so every 4 - 6 weeks unless the workouts specifies to go for longer.
I'd start with Chad Waterbury. he is very precise and details all aspects of the workout for you, which is VERY useful :).

Good luck!

If you've been training for around 9 months and haven't taken a back-off/rest week recently, that may be causing your plateaus. I know a rest week does wonders for me every 8 weeks or so.

As the previous posts mention, I find that a solid total-body program now and then can be a productive change from split routines. I specifically enjoyed The Waterbury Method found on this site.

read read and read some more... I thought I knew a lot but when I found this site, I was overwhelmed about how much I didn't know

I am in the same situation as Brickwalker and currently have a similar routine. I have made ok gains over the past year and I'm starting to see the results of my hard work but I need to switch it up a bit.

I have the spreadsheet with all of Waterbury's workouts. Which one or two or three would be recommended?

:stuck_out_tongue:

What is the image supposed to be? It's too small to make out.

Your cardio is probably killing your gains, particularly given how little you are eating (by my calculations a little under 2500 kcal/day) and the fact that it is high-intensity.

I would suggest you up your caloric consumption through the addition of more fats and time the consumption of your carbs better across the days and across the week if you are prone to fat gain.

It's a pointer going to the "New Thread" button and another one pushes it to the "search" button

dude thats some funny shit

right click and view image.

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate them. I'm open to any information and will attempt to read the articles suggested soon.

I have actually been lifting for more than 9 months, but only counted 9 months because that's how long I've been at my gym. For about a year I worked out at home but didn't achieve much.

I probably do need to eat more, but I do seem to gain fat too quickly, which is why I'm deciding to do cardio 2x a week. I suppose it's all in the timing though. I'm forcing myself to eat more at breakfast and earlier in the day (I lift in the evening after work). Before this I've never done cardio while 'bulking'. I still think it will be beneficial, being able to have the wind in me to perform an extra few squats or deadlifts.

I do take rest weeks every 8 weeks or so.

Two things have really helped me alot:

1) Training Log - If you track what you're doing it's much easier to see what you should attempt this week.

2) Fractional Plates - By using these it's really hard not to be in a position to raise the weight, and by raising the weight every cycle, even if only by 1/2 lb. you're setting yourself up to expect success and growth. Since I bought these even when I "stall" on an exercise I usually go up at least one pound, and after a couple of cycles whatever was holding you back usually catches up and you start taking off again. The ability to add between 0.5 and 5.0 lbs in 0.5lb increments is just awesome, I never want to train without them again.