39 Year Old Powerlifter

Fatty to crossfitter to powerlifter…

What ya think?

Picture on left was three years ago in Febuary 2012 at 290lbs, pic on right was in prime of crossfitting about a year later at 205lbs. Top pic was about three months ago at 245 Currently about 254 and leanish.

Beast…

My only feedback would be that Ellie Goulding is a little random.

What are your opinions on Crossfit, now that you have made the transition?

You gained almost 50 pounds of solid muscle in less than 2 years?

What is your secret?

What does your routine look like?

What are your lifts like now that you’ve started powerlifting?

Solid improvement overall! That you should be proud of, but your squat is a mile high on the video and wouldn’t pass in any federation. Either way, you have a lot of strength and a great physique, especially considering what you looked like 3 yrs ago.

Lifts at last PL meet were

Squat 515 (injured quad at 555) best gym Squat 575
Bench 335
Deadlift 625

All on YouTube

As far as the weight gain… I held 205 for about a day. The diet then was strict paleo, also counted calories at 1800 per day. I did three WOD’s and ran three miles per day always trying to beat the previous days time. I was primed to gain weight. I stopped fighting, stopped crossfit and started strict powerlifting using the 5-3-1 Big But Boring method.

I started eating 3200 calories a day, but kept carbs around 150 grams. Doubling the food and cutting the volume helped the weight stick. The top picture is about 240. It was a solid weight gain, but not pure muscle.

Here’s my 575lb Squat photo. Definitely not a mile high.

Deadlift @ Meet

Fred Dedrick 625lb Deadlift ASPF Meet 11/15/2015: Fred Dedrick 625lb Deadlift ASPF Meet 11/15/2015 - YouTube

Squat Opener @ Meet

515 Squat ASPF Meet Fred Dedrick: 515 Squat ASPF Meet Fred Dedrick - YouTube

555lbs Squat attempt Quad Injury

555 Squat ASPF Injury: 555 Squat ASPF Injury - YouTube

The 515 looked really easy, and the 555 looked solid before the injury. Good luck with the recovery process.

Thank you for the kind words. The bench sucked cause I couldn’t get my left foot under me. The Deadlifts were an adrenaline surprise! Quad is all healed. Back up to 540 Squat…

Did you use any creatine? 3 WOD a day? That is crazy. I guess it worked.

Mate that’s inspiration right there. How tall are you?

No Creatine…Paleo for the most part, although the amounts of food are high. I add Hyumus to everything…and OATS on Squat and Deadlift Days.

6’2" in Chuck Taylors…

Thanks, same height and build as me, but you’re about 40lbs heavier. Your numbers are inspiring… I’m planning on increasing mass as I go, would like to hit 250lbs and now have some realistic targets for my lifts! Do you have any advice having been on 5/3/1 for a while? Cheers!