T Nation

39 and Joining the Army

I am 39 joining army this friday any advice yeas I past test at meps and got high asvab score. electroncs aviation mech
I go from I can’t wait to shit wtf am I doing

good luck dude

39yr old PVT?

guard? reserve? active?

you ‘passed’ the asvab test? jesus…

what is your MOS.

All i can think to ask is what went wrong in your life to make you want to be a 39 year old private?

What rank you going in as? he could be going in as specialist if he has enough college experience.

For your sake, I hope Elecronic Aviation Mechanics don’t have very high standards of reading and writing. Maybe you use braille, who knows.

But yes, what are you coming in as? Maybe, just maybe you’re a 39 year-old coming in to OCS with a college degree, because unless you’re broke right now, coming in as a 39 year-old Private is hardly going to pay the bills.

I thought that if you were over 34 the only way you could go in was if you were prior service. Thats how it was when I joined 12 years ago. Do you have a prior enlistment?

[quote]John S. wrote:
What rank you going in as? he could be going in as specialist if he has enough college experience.[/quote]

lol, and that’s supposed to make it ok? if he has college under his belt he’d be headed towards OCS.

i honestly can’t see this happening, unless he’s just going to be a weekend warrior

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
John S. wrote:
What rank you going in as? he could be going in as specialist if he has enough college experience.

lol, and that’s supposed to make it ok? if he has college under his belt he’d be headed towards OCS.

i honestly can’t see this happening, unless he’s just going to be a weekend warrior[/quote]

Maybe you should learn about OCS can’t be over 34. 34 is the oldest you can be with waiver.

He could tho use the same college to cause him to go specialist.

And yes I would much rather go in as a specialist rather then a E1 private.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Liquid447 wrote:
John S. wrote:
What rank you going in as? he could be going in as specialist if he has enough college experience.

lol, and that’s supposed to make it ok? if he has college under his belt he’d be headed towards OCS.

i honestly can’t see this happening, unless he’s just going to be a weekend warrior

Maybe you should learn about OCS can’t be over 34. 34 is the oldest you can be with waiver.

He could tho use the same college to cause him to go specialist.

And yes I would much rather go in as a specialist rather then a E1 private.[/quote]

thanks for the info on OCS. i just can’t see why someone would want to enlist at age 39. hell, if i decide to go career, i’ll be RETIRING 2 years after that.

You are an idiot. No one wants to join the Army at 39. I was considered old when I joined at 24. Granted you are going to be a POG so it is not like you have to be in shape or anything but still. For the life of me I could never figure out why people joined so late. Some ships have sailed and brother yours definately has. If I was you I would tell them no way. They have nothing on you. Tell em no thanks and go back to being a normal joe. You do not want what you are about to get. Run as fast and far from the MEPS as you can get.

[quote]deadleg wrote:
You are an idiot. No one wants to join the Army at 39. I was considered old when I joined at 24. Granted you are going to be a POG so it is not like you have to be in shape or anything but still. For the life of me I could never figure out why people joined so late. Some ships have sailed and brother yours definately has. If I was you I would tell them no way. They have nothing on you. Tell em no thanks and go back to being a normal joe. You do not want what you are about to get. Run as fast and far from the MEPS as you can get.[/quote]

Tell him how you really feel!

What is the age limt now

[quote]uptruck wrote:
I am 39 joining army this friday any advice yeas I past test at meps and got high asvab score. electroncs aviation mech
I go from I can’t wait to shit wtf am I doing
[/quote] Man, you get the sheer joy of defending the greatest, noblest country in history. Get in an Abrahms if you can — lots of open country around Tehran.

Good luck and good hunting!!