T Nation

38 Million Gallons of Drinking Water Tossed b/c of 1 Guy's Piss

http://news.yahoo.com/portland-oregon-flushes-water-reservoir-man-urinates-010445003.html

I really can't believe how stupid these people are?

It's open reservoir. Animals are popping and peeing in this thing all day.

Wow…

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
Animals are popping and peeing in this thing all day.[/quote]

I was a camp counselor in a carefree time of old. The duller-eyed kids would often drink the lake water when they went swimming. This problem frustrated anyone with a mind to solve it. That is, of course, until smh came along. “Fish give birth in there, you know.” (The point I’d really wanted to make had been about fish ejaculation, but the family-friendlier version did its job.)

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

I was a camp counselor in a carefree time of old. The duller-eyed kids would often drink the lake water when they went swimming. This problem frustrated anyone with a mind to solve it. That is, of course, until smh came along. “Fish give birth in there, you know.” (The point I’d really wanted to make had been about fish ejaculation, but the family-friendlier version did its job.)[/quote]

As I’ve told many of gfs, a little extra protein never hurt anyone :wink:

Figuring on a generous 8-oz whiz that may not have all gone into the reservoir, the concentration of whiz to water is 1.64 x 10 ^-8 to 1. Doesn’t seem that bad to me especially if the water is treated at some point in time. And what did they do with the contaminated water? Can’t be too careless with that, can we?

When I had parties at my house and there were little kids in the pool… I’d just toss in an extra packet of shock and run the filter a little longer.

Rob

That is pretty silly

“We are not in the arid Southwest,” Shaff said, “We have hundreds of millions of gallons available, so that makes it an easy call for me” to discard the water. He estimated the cost of cleaning and replacing the water at several thousand dollars.

Well fuck you. There are people who live in the Southwest and in CA. We would like to have water conserved.

Seriously, what kind of bone-headed comment is that to make?

[quote]magick wrote:
“We are not in the arid Southwest,” Shaff said, “We have hundreds of millions of gallons available, so that makes it an easy call for me” to discard the water. He estimated the cost of cleaning and replacing the water at several thousand dollars.

Well fuck you. There are people who live in the Southwest and in CA. We would like to have water conserved.

Seriously, what kind of bone-headed comment is that to make?[/quote]

People from the PacNW who have to endure the miserable weather in exchange for plentiful water don’t give two shits if people in L.A. choke on dust year round. In fact, they prefer piping it straight out to the ocean over shipping it down south and then really enjoy gloating about it. Enjoy your sub-15-inches-of-rain-per-year climate!

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

Seriously, what kind of bone-headed comment is that to make?[/quote]

People from the PacNW who have to endure the miserable whether in exchange for plentiful water don’t give two shits if people in L.A. choke on dust year round. In fact, they prefer piping it straight out to the ocean over shipping it down south and then really enjoy gloating about it. Enjoy your sub-15-inches-of-rain-per-year climate!
[/quote]

And if CA really wants it I’m sure they could have it, I have not seen any attempt to get it, probably expensive to ship it down in trucks.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
And if CA really wants it I’m sure they could have it, I have not seen any attempt to get it, probably expensive to ship it down in trucks.[/quote]

=(

What we need is a water pipe-line, not an oil pipe-line.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

I was a camp counselor in a carefree time of old. The duller-eyed kids would often drink the lake water when they went swimming. This problem frustrated anyone with a mind to solve it. That is, of course, until smh came along. “Fish give birth in there, you know.” (The point I’d really wanted to make had been about fish ejaculation, but the family-friendlier version did its job.)[/quote]

As I’ve told many of gfs, a little extra protein never hurt anyone ;)[/quote]

It also prevents depression…

Its true!

I’m sure CA has attempted to get it via pipeline. About 10-15 years back, Las Vegas was trying to pipe water from the Great Lakes.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
I’m sure CA has attempted to get it via pipeline. About 10-15 years back, Las Vegas was trying to pipe water from the Great Lakes.[/quote]

To quote the late great Sam Kinison “you live in the fucking desert, if you want water, move”

I didn’t read the article (maybe it’s addressed therein), but I would assume that the urine would have been made biologically inert by the water’s natural flora.

[quote]CLINK wrote:
I didn’t read the article (maybe it’s addressed therein), but I would assume that the urine would have been made biologically inert by the water’s natural flora. [/quote]

There’s actually nothing really wrong with urine in the first place. It’s pretty damn sanitary and is mostly just water and minerals.