T Nation

38 and Want to Gain Muscle

GOAL- gain muscle

Background- 5’9" 175 lean, good cardio and ok in the strength dept. I work out 4-7 days a week. One major group a day. Quads, hams, chest w/ tris, back w/ bi’s. I do work hard and am BEAT after most workouts.

NUTRITION-I am sick of eating. This seems like more work than the workouts. Huge breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, big supper and snack before bed. I eat all good food no junk!

SUPPLEMENTS- 100%WHEY before breakfast, multi, chroimum picolinate, omega 3, (glutimine, creatine 1hr prior to working out).

Post work out shake- 1/2 cup ground oats, 5g glutimine, 20gr whey protein, and skim milk.

Here goes the questions;

One trainer tells me I need BCAA’s and one tells me if I take whey protein I will not need to. WTF???

How is my post workout shake???

I was taking DHEA and didnt like it. It took away my LIBIDO. I am thinking of trying a ZMA type product. Whats your thoughts?

The oldest addage in the book is thus… you need 1.5-2g protein per lb of BW to GROW. So about 263-350g ed for you.

Post workout needs to be Whey combined with fast acting carbs/ sugars.

Water needs to be your main source of drink (I am sure you have that down pat) and get no less than 8 hours sleep.

Other than that, watch over training.

It sounds like you are already doing better than most with your frequent clean meals. You are also already taking a lot of sups IMO. Just keep working hard and the results will come.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

maybe rethink your workout regimen…

1. How long have you been doing current workout routine. If you have been doing same thing for more than 4-6 wks, changing to almost anything else may stimulate new gains.

2. Consider a routine incorporating compound, large-muscle mass lifts…whole body every workout…lots of squats, DLs, OH presses, powercleans…any of the 5x5 schemes 3-4 days a week. Many articles here on T-Nation detailing rationales and those type of routines.

failing all that…

1. 500 mg Test-E every wk for 10 wks

[quote]testolius wrote:

1. How long have you been doing current workout routine. If you have been doing same thing for more than 4-6 wks, changing to almost anything else may stimulate new gains.

2. Consider a routine incorporating compound, large-muscle mass lifts…whole body every workout…lots of squats, DLs, OH presses, powercleans…any of the 5x5 schemes 3-4 days a week. Many articles here on T-Nation detailing rationales and those type of routines.

failing all that…

1. 500 mg Test-E every wk for 10 wks[/quote]

question is for #3 how do you get it lol

[quote]Rapt wrote:
testolius wrote:

failing all that…

1. 500 mg Test-E every wk for 10 wks

question is for #3 how do you get it lol[/quote]

…just stick around and keep looking - you’ll figure it out

(I used to hate it when they said that to me, lol)

[quote]
One trainer tells me I need BCAA’s and one tells me if I take whey protein I will not need to. WTF???[/quote]

You’ll always get conflicting information. Try it and see. I’m assuming you’re logging everything so you’ll know what works and what doesn’t.

[quote]
I was taking DHEA and didnt like it. It took away my LIBIDO. I am thinking of trying a ZMA type product. Whats your thoughts? [/quote]

The 7-keto DHEA has fewer problems with conversion to estradiol, so you might try that one. It’s the DHEA that I take and I get good results from it. I also take ZMA and recommend it.

It’s easy to forget “big picture” ideas like “If what you’re doing isn’t getting you the results you want, try something else.”

Personally, I’d dump the splits and try whole body workouts for a while. Try working the major muscle groups every workout and see how that goes. I’d also recommend that you take a week off every couple of months. I seem to grow the most when I give my body a chance to do a major recovery. When I take a week off, I really take a week off… I even drop the cardio for a week.

As far as the “drugs” go, do the research first. Ultimately your testosterone levels will have a limiting effect on how much muscle you can carry, but you really want to be sure you’re at your maximum before you go that route.

[quote]IKIMURA wrote:

GOAL- gain muscle

NUTRITION-I am sick of eating. This seems like more work than the workouts. Huge breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, big supper and snack before bed. I eat all good food no junk!

your thoughts? [/quote]

Your diet is key to body composition. And yes, it’s a lot of work, but you need to do it right if you want to build muscle.

Sick of eating? I can see someone saying they’re sick of cooking, grocery shopping, but eating? No wonder you’re so skinny :wink: Joking aside, how many calories do you eat per day, and what do your macros look like? You may need to re-evaluate your diet to get more calorie dense foods into your day, and check your macro ratios if you have trouble gaining.