T Nation

37yrs Old Need to Lose 1 Stone Fat

Hi

new here.

sorry if wrong section …

i am 37yrs old
5’10
training 1 yr

previous 6 yrs literally done no exercise at all except walking to the car…work from home at my PS,

i have been training now solidly for 1yr and whilst in the first 4-5 months i dropped 2.5stone and built lots of muscle my belly fat just wont go. I know this is a diet issue, i know this thread has been done 1000 times on various places.
But i really need help here. I love working out now i train hard (imo) i workout alne from my garage, i have treadmill,full weight set,power rack-lat tower, basically all the essentials.

my diet i admit is not like some of the people’s i read about,but from what i was eating it is a huge change to me,
usual day for me:
3-4miles cardio on treadmill mostly at 4-5mph (everyday)
breakfast - Weetbix and skimmed milk or some fruit or sometimes a slim fast shake.

lunch- chicken salad

dinner- chicken with 3 veg or varients of same (no sauces)

workout- weights -uppper body-lower-legs of diff days (6days a week)
protein shake and vitamin pill,glucosmine tablet,vit b complex,cod liver oil capsule.

in total i drink about 5litres water daily and about 8 cups of tea with skim milk

apart from stuff listed above i am sedantary for the rest of the day. i can work out more if needed.

i calculated my calories at 1600 per day - then minus 300 roughly to shed weight/fat?

side notes/ my legs arms back and chest are solid (not like arnie but theyre strong and defined) my belly fat just doesnt seem to go and in fact somedays i think it look blubbier!

i have no bf % and have no idea where to get it done.

i can provide pictures if needed

thanks to anyone who takes time to read/reply.

great site

thanks

I’m sure your workout plan could be improved but as you said - it is a diet issue. Working out more than you do now would be fairly pointless to be honest. Your breakfast looks bad. Slimfast is a scam for lazy housewives.

Whatever you do, understand that you have made some amazing progress already and that it will take time to achieve your goals. I have to pieces of advice for you, you can pick the one, the other, or both:

• eat paleo
  • read Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon

That’s it.

Thanks Nighthawk i have looked into paleo before i will look again.

i have basically dumped all bad carbs i.e bread/pasta/rice
maybe 1 time or 2 time per week i might have basmati rice small amount and if i ever have bread its maybe 2 slices per week wholegrain.

would adding a mid day walk/ interval sprints? be beneficial to me? right now i am kinda not worried about losing gains id rather ditch the gut as fast as possible and if that means working harder i can and will do it.

my diet has to be my downfall imo i will read into ur suggestions thanks.

[quote]michaelmi5 wrote:
Thanks Nighthawk i have looked into paleo before i will look again.

i have basically dumped all bad carbs i.e bread/pasta/rice
maybe 1 time or 2 time per week i might have basmati rice small amount and if i ever have bread its maybe 2 slices per week wholegrain.

would adding a mid day walk/ interval sprints? be beneficial to me? right now i am kinda not worried about losing gains id rather ditch the gut as fast as possible and if that means working harder i can and will do it.

my diet has to be my downfall imo i will read into ur suggestions thanks.[/quote]

You already spend a lot of time working out. Weights 6x a week, cardio just as often… Just think about how little difference another session each day will make. If you enjoy walking - do it. If you enjoy a certain type of eating, fine. But what matters right now is sensible calorie restriction and PATIENCE.

thanks for input NH

i’m a little concerned i have my cals not calculated correctly…

at 5’10 175lb (ish) and with the exercise i do what kinda cals should my intake be?

i have got patience i just get a little panicky sometimes the more i read online the more it confuses me i have never had a good physique so even if takes me 5yrs im willing to do it

thanks again

[quote]michaelmi5 wrote:
thanks for input NH

i’m a little concerned i have my cals not calculated correctly…

at 5’10 175lb (ish) and with the exercise i do what kinda cals should my intake be?

i have got patience i just get a little panicky sometimes the more i read online the more it confuses me i have never had a good physique so even if takes me 5yrs im willing to do it

thanks again

[/quote]

start with 2100 and give it a try for three weeks. Adjust if necessary. And stop reading so much about weight loss. It’s calorie reduction, period. Getting down to 10-12% is all about calories.

[quote]

It’s calorie reduction, period. Getting down to 10-12% is all about calories.[/quote]

Then why did you recommend Paleo?

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]

It’s calorie reduction, period. Getting down to 10-12% is all about calories.[/quote]

Then why did you recommend Paleo? [/quote]

The reason why paleo often works is that the foods you eat on a paleo diet - animal protein and vegetables - are very satiating, i.e. you often eat less without really trying to. I don’t eat paleo myself - FAR from it - but it works for quite a few people who want to lose weight. I don’t think it is the way to go for the rest of your life though.

And as you can see if you read my posts, I did not tell him he has to go paleo. It is just one option that seems to work pretty well, it is not the only one.

Sorry for posting in same topic again

but

would u say my cal intake perday is correct? im trying to lose fat…

most cal calcs online i have used several for my height weight and activity all suggest 1500-1700 range

i ask cos every thread i see on here people seem to be consuming double that? i know a lot of them are trying to add weight/bulking but could mine be too low thus preventing me from losing fat?

i re measured my height im 5’9 i shrunk lol
im 174lbs in weight
i workout 6 times a week.

i walk/run/HIIT
i lift every day part from sunday.
i do squats deadlifts bench etc to the best of my ability

at the moment i squat 240lb and D/L 240 (i have to buy more plates) my bench a while ago took a big upswing from 110 to 170 now it seems im losing strength. (i take it thats cos im always dieting?)

any help pls

Losing strength is normal on a caloric deficit. Weights and cardio 6x a week on a caloric deficit is insane. I know because I tried it. However, I only planned to maintain it for 2 weeks. No idea how you can keep that up for an extended period of time…

Ye i mean my main goal is to lose fat/weight? i know weight loss is hard as muscle grwth weighs more and i have deff gained muscle in the year. Weight on scales does not bother me at all just the fat on my belly :smiley:

lately i have ditched dairy too just a few sips of skimmed milk in tea like 4 a day.(down from 10-15 lol)

i have also been feeling hungry while in bed and thats when i get cravings to eat everything.

does 1500-1700 seem low? or is that about right for someone like me?

usual day for me consists of waking up and drink some water and on the treadmill i was doing walk-run-walk-run intervals but seen something about steady state cardio 4-5mph for an hour would be better while lifting…

so morning i go on treadmill 45-1hr then i eat weetbix/or fruit

lunch i might eat a hard boiled egg some chicken

dinner chicken and 3 veg

then 4-six hours after cardio i do my weights which could be like
squats 4 sets 8-12 reps starting from
150lb 12 reps
180 12 reps
210 12 reps
240 8-12

bench press 4 sets
B/B rows 4 sets
(plus other stuff i can post exact w/o’s)

after that i will take my pills/vits/glucosamine/oil/vit b and have protein shake and a banana

then shower then dinner chick 3 veg

then about 10pm i eat fruit

in total i suspect i eat about 1500-1700 cals a day i never count them as i know the stuff im eating is clean and im still hungry so i doubt i could drop anymore even if i was above my daily intake.
etc etc i mean i copied routines from online(good sources) and make sure and cover upper/lower/legs/core in a week

i sqaut 2-3 times a week

i struggle with pull ups but do chin ups
i do inverted rows etc

sorry i know i type in a bad way to explain things still getting used to terms used etc :smiley: