36 Yr Old Dude. Serious Lifestyle Changes

LOL, for all the work you’ve done, I’d say you deserve it!

From my experience, the learning never really stops. Now it’s entirely possible that I suffer from the Kelly Bundy syndrome, where I learn something new and then something old gets pushed out of the brain, making it new again. Or, I may actually learn new things and do so quite often. Regardless, it keeps training fun.

Glad to hear your still going strong and gaining. Looking forward to the updated pics.

I figured I’d post an update for the fuck of it. This original thread was one of my first on Tnation.

So I was really fat… Made a lot of lifestyle changes and got pretty skinny by around August / September of 2012 (after picture earlier in thread). While happy to no longer be fat, I wasn’t exactly happy with the results - I was skinnier but weak and small.

Between late 2012 and late 2014 I focused on getting stronger but got fatter again in the process. I was okay with that… sort of a perma-bulk. I’m about halfway through a long cut and have also incorporated Biotest products into my regime. This has had a profound effect.

I know I am not impressive (and should have never originally posted in this RMP) but I did and so now I feel like an update is appropriate. Give me a few more years and I am hoping to be much better.

Here’s the side-by-side from the start of the journey.

And why yes, that is a BlackBerry on the left.

Solid overall improvement.

Awesome change. It’s impressive. You look like another person on the right. You are doing great. In a year or two you’ll look like Apollo.

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:

Dead: 315 (I’ve gotten 405 but cheated with straps)
[/quote]

For overall improvement you are better off deadlifting 405 with straps than deadlifting 315. Call it cheaters deadlift if you want but you’ll improve faster if you are not limited as much by your grip. This is not powerlifting. Just my opinion.

I love this. My favorite part is how you are making a very similar face in the before and afters, but you look angry and miserable in the before shots, compared to fierce and aggressive in the afters. Awesome.

Haven’t been on in a while - thanks for the compliments fellas. I especially like the one about my face looking the same it both picks.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:

Dead: 315 (I’ve gotten 405 but cheated with straps)
[/quote]

For overall improvement you are better off deadlifting 405 with straps than deadlifting 315. Call it cheaters deadlift if you want but you’ll improve faster if you are not limited as much by your grip. This is not powerlifting. Just my opinion.[/quote]

To be honest, I wrote that over two years ago and knew much less about training than I know now (not saying I know all that much now!).

I actually ditched the straps all together and I am happy I did. I know they are a good tool but just not one for me. My current PR is 505 which is about a 200lb increase in 2 years (got 495 in a meet as well so it’s my official PR I guess). I am happy with this - I train for enjoyment and to be stronger (and badder looking). I’m sure a bigger increase would be possible with more focus, but I have to keep things in balance.

But I agree with you pointing out that it’s not cheating - it wasn’t the most accurate comment.

Always enjoy reading your posts. Your transformation is one of the better ones I’ve seen on this site over the years. And a 505 deadlift, at any bodyweight, is a pretty serious weight.

Congrats - really great physical transformation and hope you are happier in your life.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Always enjoy reading your posts. Your transformation is one of the better ones I’ve seen on this site over the years. And a 505 deadlift, at any bodyweight, is a pretty serious weight.[/quote]

Thanks Flip - now if I could just to your level!