T Nation

355 Lbs, 6 Feet

Hey I’m 16 years old. I used to weigh around 270 when I was 13 lol. I"M BIG. I joined high school football went down to about 230 pounds. I was bulking up to. Got a shoulder injury. I had no clue what it was. I guess I found out now it was a minor dislocation. It still pops out slightly at times when i’m doing something stupid.

So my issue is finding a workout to help me lose weight and develop a bit of muscle without hurting my shoulder. I have workouts from physical therapy that I should be doing. But I don’t because I was never motivated. I use some kind of plasticy rubber strecth thing. But I’ve finally had some time to think and i’ll be doing this on top of any workout.

So ya I was basically lost. No clue what to do. I am interested in the lactic acid training for fat loss. But I don’t know if that’s right for me. I do have a cholestoral issue but not that high. Everything else i’m pretty healthy in. Other than my fat lol. Ummm thanks I guess I hope somebody here can help me figure out something.

I and dont think anyonbe in their right mind would feel comfortable telling you any program to do when you have a shoulder problem liek you state and heck you lack the motivation to do the program that is meant to heal it. come on bro get a grip do the damn thing heal up and then you can do something RIGHT without the worry.

In the mean time nail a solid diet, get consistant Do something any thing active but quite thinking you need the perfect plan in your condition comng from first hand knowledge any damn thing wil work if you keep doing it. work you legs core etc with things that arent shoulder beaing. yes this is a odd case for things like the leg press so you arent holding a bar with that bad shoulder. Im taking a guess but think at your bodyweight things like lunges and high step ups even BW squats are going to help.

Read up, heal up, fix the diet no training can fix a trashed diet that has you sitting at 355, 6 foot. after that then use all tht knowledge you gain from reading and continued questions and comments on the forum and progress.

Hope that helps, get the hell of your butt and do it.

come on back with any questions,
Phill

Basically, listen to Phil. If your man enough to play ball, why the hell can’t you stick to the regimen given to you. Come on, son, man up.

Hey Phill thanks for the advice really appreciate it. I guess I can do the workouts given to me by my physical therapist for my shoulder. Then anything else that’s left I can work out :/. I’m also guessing plenty of running will be good for me. I used to take plenty of whey protein. I don’t know if you guys don’t recommend that for me since i’m under 18. Any ideas on ways of running for me since i’m really big. I can run pretty good considering my size. I’m guessing a light moderate jog is what is for me? I have no clue. :confused: thanks again

All the answers you’ll ever need are on this site. Just do some digging.

Well I have no clue where to start. So I have no clue where to start looking :/. I’m lost. :confused: lol. Thanks.

You are one big fella. You have discovered one of the drawbacks of being really heavy really young, maybe the rest of you hasn’t caught up.

You have sufferred suplocation of the shoulder, a slight dislocation that slipped out and back in of its own accord. This can hurt and be a bit weak for 6 months or so, I find.

YOU NEED TO EXERCISE and do these exercises (search on T-Nation):

L-flyes
Cuban press

There are also several articles on “shoulder savers” etc… I suggest you get motivated to read all those.

You should also squat I recommend breather squats, be careful of your shoulder doing squats though it can still be a strain.

Forget bench presses, overhead presses etc… for awhile.

Just squat and those shoulder exercises should have you get some fat burning, some muscle building, and rehab on the shoulder.

Do a search on TNation

breather squats
cuban press
L-flyes
shoulder savers

Do those searches, don’t be lazy.

The rubber bands are good for shoulder rehab.

Breather squats should be your focus and motivation for 12 weeks in my opinion, aim to add that weight, doing your 20 squats etc… and you will reshape your body.

good luck

Check out Eric Cressey’s shoulder saver articles 2 help u get ur shoulder bak 2 normal & chk out John Berardi 2 figure out ur diet.
Jus pop their names into search & u’ll be on ur way.

On the running issue, if your knee joints can handle it, go for it, if not you might consider an alternative form of cardio, such as one of those stair climbing machines, or cycling, basically something that doesn’t have a tough impact on your joints.

I’m 210 lbs or so, and my knee joints ache after a good run, but I do have bad joints (without gluco+chond and plenty of good fats, I imagine I’d have ruined something by now).

SKIP THE RUNNING

you will pooch your knees at your weight. instead you should.

SWIM

Dead serious. even if you have to swim on your back (this way you don’t rotate your shoulder) it will make sure you don’t screw your joints up more. Human knee joints were not made to take the dynamic poundages that running at your weight would place on them. Find a pool and swim EVERY DAY preferably in the morning. If you do it in the morning before eating it will get you into a good habit and possibly kill any laziness ethic you have. Oh yeah, swim for a 1/2 hour to an hour just to make sure you get lots of exercise. It can’t hurt you.

nail a hot diet and stick to it. If you screw up your diet then you only ahve yourself to blame. Read Dr. Berardi’s articles and watch the non-veggie carbs you eat. Read read read on this site for motivation, but only after you train.

Run after you are at about 210 or so. And train your legs in the gym. do mobility drills.

Sorry to tell you what to do like that but you sorta asked someone to. have fun swimming. stick to real food for its thermogenic effect if possible.

-chris

At your size walk before you run.

Running at 355 will likely lead to injury. This will just set you back further.

As was noted no amount of training will make up for a crappy diet.

You need to fix your diet right away.

This will put stress on your family and friends as you will not be able to sit with them and eatas you used to.

You will need your familys support to get all the crap out of the house. Willpower only goes so far.

At your age your progress will seem slow. Don’t let this discourage you.

Go to the authors section to the left and look up Dr. John Berardi. He has great nutritional advice. Read it come back and ask questions.

Form a support group of family and friends that will help you with this.

Good luck.

Once you start your diet, plan exactly what you are going to eat during the day, and make all of it ahead of time. If you’re starving and you have to spend a half hour cooking, chances are you’re going to eat the easiest thing you can find. I would suggest buying John Berardi’s gourmet nutrition cookbook. Here are some tips to keep healthy food on hand at all times:

About twice a week, make one of the soups, that will take care of at least a meal a day.

Cook several chicken breasts ahead of time.

Get a lot of freezer bags and fill them with different vegetables. This way you can make a salad whenever you want

Keep healthy snack foods, like mixed nuts, carrots and celery, apples and oranges, etc. availible so that if you happen to not have something good to eat, you can sate your hungery for a little bit while you find something healthy.

Keep a good protein mix on hand so you can make a healthy shake if you’re in a hurry (Grow! whey, and Metabolic Drive are very good).

Keep bags of frozen berries and vegetables in your freezer. You can get a serving of vegetables in this way with just 1:30 in the microwave, or you can have berries with a shake or yogurt (plain), quickly.

Using gourmet nutrition, offer to cook dinner, and eat some leftovers the next day.

Keep cottage cheese on hand, then late night if you’re hungry, mix that with some peanut butter and some protein instead of snacking.

There are a lot of little things like this that you can do to make dieting easier. One big thing is to make sure you have the food you need when you need it. If you make it easier to eat healthy than it is to eat poorly, then dieting will be simple.

Amen, if you do this you will lose fat.

-chris

[quote]andy bumphren wrote:
Once you start your diet, plan exactly what you are going to eat during the day, and make all of it ahead of time. If you’re starving and you have to spend a half hour cooking, chances are you’re going to eat the easiest thing you can find. I would suggest buying John Berardi’s gourmet nutrition cookbook. Here are some tips to keep healthy food on hand at all times:

About twice a week, make one of the soups, that will take care of at least a meal a day.

Cook several chicken breasts ahead of time.

Get a lot of freezer bags and fill them with different vegetables. This way you can make a salad whenever you want

Keep healthy snack foods, like mixed nuts, carrots and celery, apples and oranges, etc. availible so that if you happen to not have something good to eat, you can sate your hungery for a little bit while you find something healthy.

Keep a good protein mix on hand so you can make a healthy shake if you’re in a hurry (Grow! whey, and Metabolic Drive are very good).

Keep bags of frozen berries and vegetables in your freezer. You can get a serving of vegetables in this way with just 1:30 in the microwave, or you can have berries with a shake or yogurt (plain), quickly.

Using gourmet nutrition, offer to cook dinner, and eat some leftovers the next day.

Keep cottage cheese on hand, then late night if you’re hungry, mix that with some peanut butter and some protein instead of snacking.

There are a lot of little things like this that you can do to make dieting easier. One big thing is to make sure you have the food you need when you need it. If you make it easier to eat healthy than it is to eat poorly, then dieting will be simple.[/quote]

Wow thanks for all the info guys. I’m going to do as much as I can to get going and keep going. Thanks.

Exactly your over thinking. Start doing, get active nail a diet that #1 to fixing your prob. start training, and well learn add more as you go keep asking but above all DO while you are asking. Its not helping trying to get the Perfect plan in place first.

How’s your general physical fitness? You might want to read this article and try the leg press loading drill mentioned here: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=468125

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
SKIP THE RUNNING

you will pooch your knees at your weight. instead you should.

SWIM

[/quote]

DO NOT SWIM.

That is a really bad idea if you’ve suplocated your shoulder.

Wait for 6 months at least and do the cubans, L-flyes, band work on your shoulder.

Good advice being given here (I didn’t want to say too much about the running bit, as since I have bad joints, I don’t quite know what the norm is).

I agree with chris though that at 355 lbs you’re likely to mess up your joints, and perhaps swimming is not a good idea with a bad shoulder.

One thing you can do though, is walk at an incline, and see if that does your knees any harm?

And to second what someone said, that at your age the progress will seem slow, but you could lose more 10-15 lbs of fat per month following a diet as someone excellently suggested here above (sorry, don’t remember the name) and some pre breakfast burning, 45-60 minutes of walking at a 7-8 degree incline should do the trick.

So when you feel the progress is slow, remember that if you keep at it, you could be losing 100-140 lb in a year, and getting some good definition as well, after that year people will hardly recognize you :slight_smile: … And one year is nothing :wink:

Also if you find staying for 45-60 minutes on the treadmill quite tedious and boring, you can try setting it up in phases, so you take 15-20 minutes walking slightly faster at a lesser incline, then slow down a bit, at greater incline, and perhaps even at the end throw in a little burning session on a cross trainer or a stairmaster. If you’re bored, some variety will keep you having fun and motivated. I also reccommend increasing the intensity as you feel yourself getting stronger – gains and success are usually only acheived by pushing yourself to your limit, and avoid complacency – speaking for myself, if I wasn’t increasing my intensity at small intervals I’d be dead bored :wink:

Anyway, great advice being given on this thread, sorry if I’m rambling a bit (lack of sleep) but I just wanted to concur with some people and perhaps give you some slightly more encouragement.