350 LB Deadlift at 180, 21 Years Old

I did a 350lb Deadlift, for 2 reps. Heaviest, I’ve done, grip gave before anything else.

I’m not trying to be like OMG IM STRONG.

I’m pretty much the only person in my gym who deadlifts or does any oly shit.

Is this a decent deadlift? What should I be shooting for?

I’m 5’10, 21yrs old, 180 lbs.

I know what a good bench is, like 300 lbs abouts is the upper end, past that you’re really pushing digits and if you’re a lifter 200 and up is respectable.

I don’t know what a good deadlift is tho, what should I be shooting for, what is respectable, and what is the upper end?

2xbw is good 2.5 is strong 3x is elite IMO.

You not be shooting for some number of %, you should be shooting for the best you can possibly do. This means you should just keep progressing every week.

[quote]I don’t know what a good deadlift is tho, what should I be shooting for, what is respectable, and what is the upper end?
[/quote]

I would say that regardless of height/weight, 350 is a good number.
The upper end? No such thing. The upper end is pushing your limits.

I suppose I felt it was light because, I’ve known guys who push 350 on bench. I figure the back is a hell of a lot stronger muscle than the chest, so if I’m just doing doing 350, I’m still in the little leagues.

Is deadlift usually substantially stronger than bench?

I max bench about 270.

I’m going to go against the grain, and say that 350 should be a novice weight. My first real time deadlifting heavy I worked up to 365lbs and had more in the tank. The most I’ve benched meanwhile has been 245lbs, on a good day. 500lbs IMO is a good standard to strive for to start with.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
I suppose I felt it was light because, I’ve known guys who push 350 on bench. I figure the back is a hell of a lot stronger muscle than the chest, so if I’m just doing doing 350, I’m still in the little leagues.

Is deadlift usually substantially stronger than bench?

I max bench about 270.[/quote]

It should be. Consider which muscles you re using for a bench versus the muscles for a deadlift.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
I did a 350lb Deadlift, for 2 reps. Heaviest, I’ve done, grip gave before anything else.

I know what a good bench is, like 300 lbs abouts is the upper end, past that you’re really pushing digits and if you’re a lifter 200 and up is respectable.

I don’t know what a good deadlift is tho, what should I be shooting for, what is respectable, and what is the upper end?
[/quote]

It’s novice weight as said. a pretty good deadlift would be around 500, very good, 3X bodyweight and up.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:

[/quote]
I’ll give you an example, after three years of lifting and weighing 148, I was doing 430 or so and was competitive, but not great in meets.

I’m 22 and 178 and just pulled 525 at a meet and won my weight class (came in 2nd overall).

It seems a triple body weight deadlift is where you need to be to win a meet.

The deadlift is its own beast. Don’t compare the deadlift and bench. The leverages are all different. I’ll give props on doing the deadlift when you are not exposed to an environment condusive to deadlifting.
I think the first poster gives good numbers to shoot for 2x bodyweight, 2.5 bodyweight, etc.
Some people are built to pull, others are built to squat or press. For instance, I am built to squat. I have found that squatting (all variations) helps my deadlift a bunch - even more than deadlift training.

My advice is to set goals for yourself and go in the real world and get a comparison, not on a website.

Ya thanx for the honesty guys.

The deadlift, is really hard for me anyways.

My body is, broad shoulders, shortish arms, and long legs.

I have probably one of the least regular body types of any one.

So it is a pain in the ass to deadlift.

I’m going to try to work up to 500 like yall suggested tho.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
I’m 22 and 178 and just pulled 525 at a meet and won my weight class (came in 2nd overall).

It seems a triple body weight deadlift is where you need to be to win a meet.[/quote]

No meaning to hijack, but dhuge what fed you competing? Are you searching the purepowerlifting.com site for the USAPL/IPF meets? Im wondering because I go to college up here, and dependning on a transfer back to Jersey next semester I am trying to find more competitions closer to my college

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:

It seems a triple body weight deadlift is where you need to be to win a meet.

No meaning to hijack, but dhuge what fed you competing? Are you searching the purepowerlifting.com site for the USAPL/IPF meets? Im wondering because I go to college up here, and dependning on a transfer back to Jersey next semester I am trying to find more competitions closer to my college[/quote]

ADAU. It’s pretty beat.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
Ya thanx for the honesty guys.

The deadlift, is really hard for me anyways.

My body is, broad shoulders, shortish arms, and long legs.

I have probably one of the least regular body types of any one.

So it is a pain in the ass to deadlift.

I’m going to try to work up to 500 like yall suggested tho.[/quote]

Make sure its good form deadlift, not like what I’ve seen some which is ton of hitching and not one motion. I’m not sure how good 350 is, but I’ve seen people with no lifting experience pull 315 they were naturally muscular guys though who did sports though.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
350 is definitely novice weight, not to knock ya or anything.[/quote]

It is, but it doesn’t feel like it when your doing it. Don’t worry OP, my max dead is only 375 and has been stalled horribly for close to 8 months.

Strangely my bench and squats are going up even though my dead is stuck. Bench up from 205 to 225, squat is up from like 225 to 295 in those 8 months.

WTF are you doing in the gym? Stalled at one weight for 8 months???

Christ, I did 25 reps in sets of 3 reps and 2 reps with 465 today. Just sack up.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
WTF are you doing in the gym? Stalled at one weight for 8 months???

Christ, I did 25 reps in sets of 3 reps and 2 reps with 465 today. Just sack up. [/quote]

That is hella true.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:

It seems a triple body weight deadlift is where you need to be to win a meet.[/quote]

Do you need to post about your 500+lbs deadlift in every thread in the strength forum?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:

Lets be friends