35, Bloodwork: "Normal T / FSH" & High LH

Never cycled or anything. Just felt like age and other things are catching up to me so went and got private bloodwork done. Might see if my GP is willing to order these tests again in the future so I can get the insurance discounted rates for my high-deductible plan.

Everything seems in range/normal except for my ALT and LH.

Any other values might be on the low/high end even if they’re “normal”?

Any thoughts or things I might need to worry about? Additional tests that are missing? I intend to get my bloodwork done again 3-6 months from now.

Testosterone levels had always been in the high 300 to low 400 range the past few years. Cholesterol borderline high. THS always came back normal. Vitamin D came back low a few times (usually around wintertime) and I supplement as needed.

Thanks for any advice/insight.

Don’t go off labs If you have low t symptoms . Docs screw men left and right. You have normal T levels , and nothing is wrong … I remember a year or so ago I went to doc complaining of fatigue and etc he did a finger blood prick test thing and said my t level was fine. Fast forward two years and I’m in the gutter.

Example: my nephew is Asian. Skinny kid. Doc said he was under weight compared to other children in America and told parents weight needs to go up. Not once did this brainiac think “wait this kids healthy for his genetics and culture”… this is the medicine practiced in our western world. So Advanced. Lolll

There is a sticky pinned on this forum board that answers questions for potential or new trt users. Tells you everything from what bloods tests and markers are important. Check it out.

Been here a couple months and I can tell you most folks have problems finding docs who understand hormones properly. Therefore research and educate yourself properly so that you can properly asses your doctors recomendations or lack of.

1 Like

ast and alt elevate from weight training hard

1 Like

Total testosterone in the low normal ranges when symptoms are present shouldn’t be ignored simply because you are within the normal ranges. The problem is doctors are taught to treat the reference ranges and ignore the symptoms, this is what managed health care is all about.

The studies show increased cardiovascular risk below 440 ng/dL, the cut off point is higher in men with sexual dysfunction.

Testosterone Threshold for Increased Cardiovascular Risk in Middle-Aged and Elderly Men:

These data showed that a testosterone threshold of 440 ng/dL was associated with increased Framingham 10-year CVD risk in middle-aged and elderly men. Poor sexual performance, decreased morning erection, and loss of libido had an impact on the testosterone threshold for CVD risk. The threshold level was higher in men with sexual dysfunction. Further study is required to evaluate the validity of these testosterone thresholds for CVD risk.

The pituitary gland secretes LH to stimulate the testicles to produce testosterone, if not enough is being produced, the pituitary gland increase LH. You shouldn’t be anywhere near the 300 ranges at your age, that range is for elderly men.

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses so far guys.

I definitely agree as I had read that the reference ranges include people in their 20s all the way up to their 80s. So “normal” for an 80 year old would be seen as normal for someone in their early 20s which shouldn’t be the case.

Like some of you have mentioned, it’s hard to find the right doctor. I had one that told me “estrogen is for women” when I asked him for different bloodwork I wanted - needless to say I didn’t visit him again.

My current doc is a bit more open to me asking him things but he’s definitely not a male health/hormone doctor. Just a friendly General Practitioner. All the endocrinologists in my area won’t see me without a referral from a different doc that’s already diagnosed an issue - so they’re pretty useless in my opinion.

I’m not in the gym lately due to multiple wrist surgeries.

Bad idea to bring these results to my doc and ask his opinion? Was hoping I could use it and just have him order all these tests again during my future annual physicals.

My testosterone levels have gotten higher than they were so that’s a good sign. Hopefully I can get them to keep increasing some without having to resort to more permanent TRT - not quite ready for that leap yet.

None of my results in relation to each other stand out as a red flag of some sort?

It’s more than likely endocrinologists will be ignorant as well in sex hormones and if you needed TRT would be of much help in tailoring a protocol to you. The most common type of protocol is 200mg every 2 weeks which is what it says on the label on the side of the T-cypionate box, doctor who are informed know full well these protocols often worsen your condition.

The truth is when those labels were written, no one knew how to administer TRT.

You LH being above the normal ranges should have initiated a referral for further investigation.

If you can afford it just find a clinic that specializes in TRT and is open minded enough to not force protocols on you. You dont want to start with an AI unless its needed. It will also be challenging to have a normal non trt doc to prescribe T when levels are midrange. Insurance will definitely not cover it.

Most are 150 to 300 a month. They will get your labwork done or look at your current and tell you what they suggest. Mine is open to me not taking an AI and keeping my dosage a little lower. as long as i am paying them and not going above or abusing their suggested dosing, they dont care.

So TT 492 FT 16.2 E2 23.2 and SHGB 22.5
If I had the these naddy numbers I’d be dancing in the street. No respectible doc is going to give you TRT.
Your number are just fine. If you are not feeling right, a little run down go look at your Thyroid or look intowhy your liver is so unhappy. There’s nothing wrong with your boys.

1 Like

Thanks. I figured as much. Even when my TT was in the high 300s the doc just saw that it said normal and moved on - even though many would say that’s low for someone my age.

I’m already glad my levels have climbed almost a hundred points - I think it’s likely due to me sleeping a bit better and not being so stressed at work. The previous 2-3 years were rough but a good learning experience.

Now I just need to clean up my diet, get back into the gym (wrist surgery/issues), and see how much better I can get my stuff.

And also to see if the ALT goes down (had a pretty badly bruised rib the last couple weeks) and if LH goes back to normal.

Yah I agree it’s gonna be a hard sell…
I would definitely keep an eye on it though. You don’t want to continue feeling fatigued and wait 2 or 3 years to check again…

My levels were a third of your levels 2 months ago, but 2 years earlier they were normal… it dropped quick and I sure felt it. However I waited a year to do bloods…

Don’t be like this guy <~~~~~|

I could not agree more. Now that you know your boys are working there is a ton of stuff you can do to get your TT even higher. Just remember when you do bloods no gym for 48 hours. Be well rested and hydrated. Best of luck to you. I swear some of our members are so needle happy and so anxious to get folks tied to the TRT ball and chain.