340 Free Testosterone Want to Rule Out Low T vs Depression/Anxiety

Would appreciate @KSman input as well.
Suffering for lack of motivation, energy, vigour, trouble losing weight (successful only when my diet is very restricted around ~1300 cals a day)

Want to rule out low t or other endocrin issue before trying ssri’s

height: 5’9
weight: 168
waist: 32 jean
describe body and facial hair: look fit in a t-shirt decent v shape. Good facial hair coverage but blonde
did to grow fast or slow and steady as a teen: slow. very late to puberty
testes ache or hurt? ever? very rarely if ever
mood: poor very blah
depression: yes not medicated
libido: low to medium
get cold easily? a change? reasonably quickly
dry skin, brittle nails? Skin slightly dry
use iodized salt? Believe so (in Canada)
eat much sea food? once every three weeks
exposure to chemicals? Not sure
ever used hair loss drugs? minoxidil
Rx and OTC drugs: None

hb:142
hct:0.418
wbc:6.6
rbc:4.54
mcv:92
mch:31.3
mchc:340
rdw:13.5
platelets:268

neutrophils; 3.3
lymphocytes:2.4
monocytes:0.7
eosinophils:0.1
basophils: 0

hb A1c: 0.052

Cr: 94
egfr:93

Na: 142
K: 4.9
alt: 33
tg: 0.91
chol: 4.09
hdl:1.03
chol/hdl:4
ldl:2.65

Testosterone: 12.5
free testotrone: 340

TSH: 2.43
ferritin: 101

We need units and ranges. I see no SHBG, Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3 and antibodies. TSH isn’t a thyroid hormone and only stimulates the thyroid gland (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), similar to how the pituitary gland secretes LH that in turn stimulates the testicles to produce testosterone.

So you wouldn’t check only LH to determine T status without actually checking testosterone (Total T and Free T), but that’s exactly what your doctor did when testing the thyroid, no thyroid hormones were ever checked. So we still have the question unanswered, is your thyroid hormones production optimal, normal, low or below ranges?

Free T3 is the most potent thyroid hormone, Free T3 interacts with T3 receptors and increases body temperatures and metabolism, any doctor testing TSH only has a poor grasp of diagnosing and or treating thyroid problems. Free T3 testing tells us what’s going on at the cellular level and this lab value is more closely related to symptoms.

The average Total T for someone is their 30’s is 600+, you are below average those in your age group. Low testosterone causes depression and anxiety, depression and anxiety can also cause low testosterone.

Severe calorie restriction and overtraining can lower testosterone, it can also increase Reverse T3 which can block the main active thyroid hormone Free T3. You body sees low food intake and starts slowing metabolic rates and goes into conservation mode.

SSRIs lower testosterone, stay off these poisons. Often men are prescribe SSRIs because of undiagnosed low testosterone.

Google “Optimal VS Normal Thyroid Levels for all Lab Tests & Ages”

Testosterone Threshold for Increased Cardiovascular Risk in Middle-Aged and Elderly Men:

These data showed that a testosterone threshold of 440 ng/dL was associated with increased Framingham 10-year CVD risk in middle-aged and elderly men. Poor sexual performance, decreased morning erection, and loss of libido had an impact on the testosterone threshold for CVD risk. The threshold level was higher in men with sexual dysfunction. Further study is required to evaluate the validity of these testosterone thresholds for CVD risk.

Thanks for your reply. I went to this doctor for an introduction meeting when i was trying to find a family dr. (the purpose of this meeting is still unclear to me aside from being able to bill OHIP). I asked him to check my endocrin system and t levels and i guess this is what he ordered. i never decided to go forward with him as my family dr though, sounds like i made the right decision

Sadly even thyroid doctors get it wrong, most only check TSH and Free T4 because it’s what they were taught often missing the Free T3 test which is really the one that matters as there are no T4 receptors in the body.

The UK and Canada rarely check Free T3 and a fight with doctors to get this important test is common. These countries are generally terrible at treating hypothyroidism and hormone treatments in general.

There are private clinics in both countries who do a much better job.

1 Like