335x3 Squat Form Check

Have my first meet in exactly 3 weeks, been doing 5/3/1 for Powerlifters. This day wrapped up the 3x5 week, however today I felt in a funk and capped it at 3x3 instead.

My meet goal is 420lbs, I have videos of some singles as well but it’s easier to analyze form with more than a single rep.

thanks for any input y’all may have!

(i also have a deadlift form check video at http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/deadlift_form_check_74 if you wanna check that out as well)

To give respect to the people you ask for help, rewatch the video and in the future edit out the first 20 seconds of set up time. Then put your upload. I think your reps are ok and you can move up according to your progression.

Sorry man but I think those squats may not pass.

Your knees travel forward a lot and of course you have a ton of good-morning forward lean going on. So, you may feel like you’re hitting depth when you’re actually not because you’re just leaning the bar over more and more. Your 2nd and 3rd rep were considerably higher.

I always like to be ambitious in my numbers and don’t want to encourage someone not to be, but you may want to get someone who can check your depth, test some singles out, and try to come up with a good number to attack. At the very least, be smart and open light.

If you are competing your reps weren’t low enough. For a general trainer i thought you were fine.

To be honest I think the depth might be okay depending where you are competing. What I will say is you are over arching in your lower back. This is pushing your hips way far back and causing you to come forward for starters. You want a “neutral” spine, before you squat squeeze your glutes and pull them into you.

Thanks for the editing advice ScreenWatcha. I’ll keep that in mind for future posts!

SuteBun during the set itself I felt the depth climbing as the reps went on and it’s something I plan on hammering hard in the coming weeks, Also, here’s a 400x1 single, which is 95% of my goal. Sorry for the bad quality!

cparker, I plan on competing in the USPLA. A friend of mine who’s spotted my form before has also commented on my tendency to overarch, although they didn’t give me any advice on how to correct it. I’ll keep your cues in mind next squat session, thanks!

I had a similar problem of over arching in the past because I relied only on my erector spinae to hold the weight up and sat back as much as possible. I had to learn to get my lats involved to keep my mid back tight at the bottom position. If your lats aren’t tight then that would be the problem since your back slightly folds over at the bottom of the lift. You can also reduce the load on your mid back by not sitting back so much. Another thing that will help is bracing your abs hard during the lift instead of arching your lower back.

[quote]ScreenWatcha wrote:
To give respect to the people you ask for help, rewatch the video and in the future edit out the first 20 seconds of set up time. Then put your upload. I think your reps are ok and you can move up according to your progression. [/quote]
Setup makes a big difference in the squat. Seriously, I think any form advice video should have the setup included.
As mentioned, depth is probably alright but might not pass in IPF / affiliates. Otherwise, just work on glute and ab tension to correct the excess curve, and try to sit back just a little more (but not with the extreme arched-back goodmorning method) so you can get that extra inch of depth.