I have been lurking for a long time before starting to post and I have not found the right answers for my problems so far. Thus I hope you can help me to fix what is wrong with my body and hormones.
I am 33 years old male, 5’10’’, and 265 lbs (I was slimmer before my problems begun).
Some time ago I have started feeling weird and have noticed some changes in my body:
- Gaining a lot of weight (67 lbs over the past 3 years) without no changes in my diet and/or lifestyle
- Sleep disorders
- Facial hair have become thinner and now take longer to grow (I shave once a month)
- Fat have started storing on whip and buttocks
- Increased heartbeat and blood pressure
- Low interest to be ‘intimate’
I went to a doctor and I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and thyroid nodules (Don’t hyperthyroidism make people lose weight?).
Lately I started to feel lazy, fatigued, and noticed my chest enlarged with ‘male boobs’.
An endocrinologist made me take the following blood tests:
- Red Blood Cells 4,920,000 (4,000,000 - 5,500,000 M/ul)
- White Blood Cells 10,100 (4.000 - 10.000 K/ul)
- Total proteins 6,5 (6,6 - 8,7 g/dl) LOWER THAN NORMAL
- GOT-AST 20 (0 - 40 U/l)
- GPT-AST 19 (0 - 41 U/l)
- Fasting Glucose 97 (80 - 110 mg/dl)
- Ferritin 30 (18 - 370 ng/ml)
- Sodium 141 (133 - 145 mEq/l)
- Potassium 4.50 (3.30 - 5.10 mEq/l)
- Alkaline phosphatase 57 (40 - 129 U/l)
- TSH 0.06 (0.28 - 4.30 uIU/ml) LOWER THAN NORMAL
- FT3 4.50 (2.00 - 5.00 pg/ml)
- FT4 12.10 (8.00 - 17.00 pg/ml)
- TrAb 0.39 (< 1 U/l)
- TPOAb 9 (0 - 35 IU/ml)
- Thyroglobulin 41.80 (0.00 - 75.00 ng/ml)
- Total cholesterol 169 (30 - 200 mg/dl)
- HDL cholesterol 45 (35 - 120 mg/dl)
- LDL cholesterol 106 (0 - 100 mg/dl)
- Triglycerides 114 (30 - 200 mg/dl)
- Total testosterone 1.59 (2.80 - 8.40 ng/ml) LOWER THAN NORMAL
- FSH 3.18 (1.20 - 10.10 mUI/ml)
- LH 4,99 (0.80 - 8.30 mUI/ml)
- SHBG 15.70 (10.00 - 57.00 nmol/l)
- Albumin 4.30 (3.40 - 4.80 g/dl)
- Prolactin 14.20 (3.40 - 16.20 ng/ml)
- IGF-1 64.00 (109.00 - 284.00 ng/ml) LOWER THAN NORMAL
- Cortisol 8.60 (6.20 - 19.40 ug/dl)
- Creatinine 0.77 (0.50 - 1.20 mg/dl)
After blood tests I took an MRI with and without contrast on pituitary gland:
- Microadenomas: None found
- Macroadenomas: None found
- Venous draining: Anomaly on right paramedian brain area WHAT IS THIS?
- Sella: Normal
- Neuro-pituitary signal: Normal
A diagnosis was made: hypogonadism.
I have another visit with the endocrinologist in next weeks and I would know if meanwhile I can do something to relieve my symptoms and if there is something I should ask to the doctor. I have read E2 and PSA levels are very important when taking testosterone: I am going to ask the endocrinologist to prescribe these tests.
After a long reading around the Internet, I came to this conclusion:
- Will I need a longlife testosterone replacement therapy?
- Will I need a longlife growth hormone replacement therapy?
- Will I lose my fertility?
- What about low TSH and thyroid nodules?
Every advice is very important to me and very appreciated.
PS: sorry for my bad English. I’m Italian and sometimes I get confused with grammar differences.