T Nation

33 Y/O New to TRT with Questions

I’m new to t nation and new to trt. I went into the doctor complaining of low drive, motivation, memory fading, and ability to make decisions limited. He said generally it will only be testosterone. So he tested me.

Results were…

356 total T range 249-836
87.4 free range 87.4-224

Went back a week later and talked about options he said we have to do another test.
This was after looking up treatment options. So I got another test lab done…results were…

339 total range 249-836
No free test done
8.1 LH range 1.2-8.6
6.09 Fsh range 1.27-19.26

Bloodwork all showed normal ranges including cbc, liver functions, kidneys, proteins, no thyroid or pituitary test done.

He diagnosed hypogondadism based on low t and high LH.

I have been on androgel 1.62 for a month now 2 pumps a day. The first three weeks I felt awesome (before the testing I started at the gym for two months lost 15lbs but continually got weaker for some reason too). It seems now I am reverting back to the way I felt before and the weakness at the gym is coming back. I have another visit for labwork scheduled in five days and was wondering what else I needed to get checked. I am going to ask for thyroid to be checked as well as e2.

I asked for shots initially because with the gel at one bottle its $50 a month with a rebate from maker…if he tells me to double dose its 150 a month with my insurance. Shots are $30 standard dose for three month supply. When I said that he immediately referred me to the endo across the hall from him. At first he prescribed me the patch but that would be $250 for the lowest dose a month.

Any suggestions on tests I should have taken or should take and any suggestions for doctor in northern Illinois area if my primary keeps telling me no for shots? I just believe 150 a month for 12 months is a lot for a long term issue. 120 a year would be more reasonable. The other would cause stress and obviously stress plays a big role on the effectiveness of treatment. I was a paramedic and gave my mom shots all the time for her illness so shots measuring and keeping on a regimine is not a problem…

Yes get the shots

You need thyroid panel and E2 tests–you seem to have a pretty good handle on this.

Ok found a promising doc. It’s a clinic on one side and an internal medical office on the other. Said they follow crisler regimine and protocols. I go to them June 2. Thursday going to primary doc to get the continuing test done to see if I should double the gel while I’m on vacation this coming up weekend…I think I’m on the road to making myself normal!!! I’ll keep everyone posted. I’m in northern Illinois also. This place just popped up and sounded like they treat symptoms and tests…I need to find out though if I can self administer to save visits and costs…

[quote]BaTtLaNgL wrote:
Ok found a promising doc. It’s a clinic on one side and an internal medical office on the other. Said they follow crisler regimine and protocols. I go to them June 2. Thursday going to primary doc to get the continuing test done to see if I should double the gel while I’m on vacation this coming up weekend…I think I’m on the road to making myself normal!!! I’ll keep everyone posted. I’m in northern Illinois also. This place just popped up and sounded like they treat symptoms and tests…I need to find out though if I can self administer to save visits and costs…
[/quote]

Good luck, and I hope everything turns out well. Self-injecting is the way to go! After the initial battery of visits and tests and tweaking, you rarely have to see your doctor. Also, obviously, syringes and liquid T are a TON cheaper than gel, and you don’t have to worry about cross-contaminating loved ones or pets if you hug them with no shirt on, or getting it on gym equipment if you sweat too much.

In the end, whatever treatment is letting you live a normal, happy, life is fine. Everything has drawbacks. It’s all about finding the ones you can deal with.