T Nation

33/33/33 Macronutrient Split?

33/33/33 caloric ratio of carbs/protein/fat.

How do you figure out how much to eat?

I am 215lbs.

You eat. If you want to lose weight but aren’t losing weight, you eat less. If you goal is to gain weight, you eat more until you start gaining weight.

That’s it.

I go 2g pro per lb of lean body mass. How many other calories of carbs and fat depends on metabolism and activity level. Everyone is different its impossible to say if this will work for you with the information you’ve given. I would use the trial an error method to see what works for you.

Whats your goals? And soz to hijack your thread, but i think its relevant, when changing macronutrients, how long should one use the ratio before seeing results, or before needing to change it?

The only way your going to get that exact ratio is if you know the nutritional value of everything you eat and then weigh it out and keep track.

You will need to reference a site such as this - http://www.elook.org/nutrition/fruits/

For things that don’t come in a package.

And a ratio such a 33/33/33 doesn’t tell you “how much” to eat, it is only a ratio.

ex-you eat 1000 cals = 333cals from fats,333 cals from protein,333 cals from carbs.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
You eat. If you want to lose weight but aren’t losing weight, you eat less. If you goal is to gain weight, you eat more until you start gaining weight.

That’s it.[/quote]

To an extent, I can appreciate the “Dont overthink it, just do it” approach.

But I think this is too simplistic. Unless you’re sure this person is going to be eating healthy food, they’re likely to take it as “eat anything you want, just a little less, and you’ll lose weight”. And I doubt anyone has lost weight on the Burger King, Budweiser, and Hersheys diet just because they ate “less”.

Or that, if they’re going for mass, if they simply pump up the carbohydrate ratio, without getting more protein or more fats, I think they’re likely to put on mostly fat.

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I doubt anyone has lost weight on the Burger King, Budweiser, and Hersheys diet just because they ate “less”.

Or that, if they’re going for mass, if they simply pump up the carbohydrate ratio, without getting more protein or more fats, I think they’re likely to put on mostly fat.[/quote]

The person said he was going to eat 33-33-33: This means equal amounts of protein, carbs, and fat.

You response truly make no sense in light of what the OP actually wrote.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

A while ago I was trying to cut down some fat and I just followed Canada’s Food Guide and I lost a lot of fat. I only lost 5 lbs, but the fat loss was amazing. Just making sure I eat enough fruit, vegs, etc. I was eating very clean.

I guess I can just start there again, clean up the diet and take it from there. The funny thing was I was not eating very much protein and I was burning fat like crazy.

Anyway, thanks again.

CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I doubt anyone has lost weight on the Burger King, Budweiser, and Hersheys diet just because they ate “less”.

Or that, if they’re going for mass, if they simply pump up the carbohydrate ratio, without getting more protein or more fats, I think they’re likely to put on mostly fat.

The person said he was going to eat 33-33-33: This means equal amounts of protein, carbs, and fat.

You response truly make no sense in light of what the OP actually wrote.[/quote]

I apologize. I misinterpreted your response to mean that he shouldn’t worry about his macronutrient ratios and “just eat”.

Sorry.

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I apologize. I misinterpreted your response to mean that he shouldn’t worry about his macronutrient ratios and “just eat”.[/quote]

No problem. What the OP was asking for was a formula he could use to calculate how many calories he should eat. I think it’s generally counter-productive to give people formulas. People just have to eat and monitor their progress.

In any event, in response to your initial post: Some people could indeed lose fat eating a Hershey’s bar - assuming they are only eating one instead of the usual three. A person eating one Whopper instead of two could also lose weight. Everything is individual. Everything is relative.

This is why people who have made progress in the gym and who don’t have anything to sell usually answer with: “Experiment and monitor. If what you are doing isn’t working, change things up.”

CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I apologize. I misinterpreted your response to mean that he shouldn’t worry about his macronutrient ratios and “just eat”.

No problem. What the OP was asking for was a formula he could use to calculate how many calories he should eat. I think it’s generally counter-productive to give people formulas. People just have to eat and monitor their progress.

In any event, in response to your initial post: Some people could indeed lose fat eating a Hershey’s bar - assuming they are only eating one instead of the usual three. A person eating one Whopper instead of two could also lose weight. Everything is individual. Everything is relative.

This is why people who have made progress in the gym and who don’t have anything to sell usually answer with: “Experiment and monitor. If what you are doing isn’t working, change things up.”

[/quote]

The OP started the same thread in beginners. In that one, I suggested he look up those formulas, but keep in mind that its just a place to start, and he’ll have to adjust it as needed.

I dont think its bad to give people a starting point as long as they understand that it’s not absolute and should change as time goes on.

I have been following this ratio for the last 3 1/2 weeks now based on the recommendation in Waterburys book Muscle Revolution. I am trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time and this is what he recommends.

For calories I use 12 x lean mass so I am taking in 2,400 calories per day with equal protein, carbs, and fats. This puts me around 200grams of protein per day which may seem low but has been working great for me. I am already down 18 pounds in 3 weeks - a lot of this I attribute to water loss but I have lost 1 1/2 inches off of my waist in 3 weeks also and look much leaner so I am definitly burning up fat fast. (started at 255 pounds, 200 pounds lean body mass so I use the 200 x 12 for weight loss formula)

For workouts I am following his fat loss structure of using BBB, ABBH, TTT, OSC - then repeat. So I finished BBB last week and started on ABBH on Monday. Strength is going up progressivly. I’m doing 20 minutes of HIIT cardio on the off days.

If you want to track your calorie ratios with ease use Fitday.com - free account. I plug in all my meals all day and it keeps track of your ratio of Fat protein and carbs for you. You can add custom foods to the list so if you are using supplements you can easily tally them up. If I wasn’t using Fitday to track everything it would be a major pain to try to keep track of the ratios all day unless I ate the same exact thing everyday.

This way if I eat a meal and need a few grams of extra fat I just pop a few fish oil caps. Need a little more protein, I take in some whey or Metabolic Drive. I keep a steady 33/33/33 all day and am very pleased with the results. Waterbury’s book is awesome.

Once I get a baseline and see what I am really losing per week I will either raise or lower the calories to keep a steady 2 pounds a week coming off.

JOHN316,

Can you post up a sample of your daily diet? Just want to see how it compares to mine.

thanks!!

Keep a food log. Write down everything you eat throughout the day. Next to each food there are 4 columns, like a spreadsheet:
F P C F Cal

(name of food, protein, carbs, fat, calories)

Once or twice a day, when you get a chance, fill in the P C F Cal columns. At the end of the day, do the totals. In terms of how many grams, 33/33/33 translates roughly as 2:2:1 (2 grams of protein and 2 grams of carbs for 1 gram of fat)

For food that’s not packaged, use one of the many sites with nutrition info:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nutrient.htm

A food scale is very valuable. I purchased an electronic scale from Bed, Bath & Beyond, for like $30. See what’s the precision, the best scales offer 1g precision; less precise scales offer only 2g precision.

Keep the food log EVERY DAY for a long time. Best thing you will ever do.

[quote]paul_b wrote:
JOHN316,

Can you post up a sample of your daily diet? Just want to see how it compares to mine.

thanks!![/quote]

Send me a PM with an email addy and I’ll cut and paste some of my screenshots from Fitday which will list all my foods and calories