32 YO Australian and Very Low T just Started Reandron

Hi All,

Apologies for the lengthy post.

I found out I have low t 15 months ago after struggling to conceive our second child for roughly a year, so my wife and I went to our GP as we starting to get concerned. The GP here in Australia ordered some bloods, and my t levels came back at 185ng/dl. I have had most of the symptoms including constant fatigue, no energy, decreased mental awareness and brain fog, low motivation levels, poor short term memory, weight gain, irritability, ED and no libido. I have felt this way for years, but always put it down to a stressful job, moderately healthy eating habits, and sporadic exercise patterns.

While discovering I had legitimate reason to feeling pretty miserable for the last 5-10 years was refreshing, the process from then on has been very frustrating. After convincing my GP I had not been taking exogenous testosterone, he referred me to a local Endocrinologist. The Endo was immediately skeptical based on my bloods, body composition and body hair. He ordered some more bloods, and T levels came back at 162ng/dl which made him even more skeptical that I had used exogenous t and advised he could not assist me. I was furious.

I got a referral to a different Endo at the end of 2015 who ordered some more bloods with T levels again dropping to 87ng/dl. The Endo started me on Axiron which is a transdermal product and had further tests after 3 months and my levels dropped to 58ng/dl leaving me feeling pretty miserable all the time. The Endo started me on injections of Reandron 1000 which is a long acting product with injections every 12 weeks…the first one was 4 weeks ago, but apparently it can take up to 5 months to start noticing the effects. At this stage I feel no different.

Height: 173cm / 5ft 8in
Waist: 111cm / 43 in
Weight: 108kg / 238lb
Body Hair: Moderate body hair, and a decent amount of facial hair. I can grow a beard pretty easily and have to shave regularly.
Weight Distribution: I carry a lot fat around my mid section, and tend to put on weight really easily for the last 10 years or so.
Health Conditions: I have had Epstein Barr in the last 18 months, but wasn’t aware as the symptoms were masked by those of the low t.
Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever: No
-lab results with ranges
Diet: My diet has generally not been great for the last few years and as a result I have put on quite a bit of weight. I have recently cleaned up my diet with an aim to improve my general health and wellbeing.
Describe training: Minimal training over the last 3 years…I generally don’t have the energy or motivation to train.
Testes ache, ever, with a fever? No
How have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed: They are generally non-existent. Might get one every 2 months.

Labs from November 2015 are:
FSH: 2.4 (1.0 - 12)
LH: 1.6 (0.6 - 12)
Testosterone: 6.2nmol/L (11.5 - 32.0) (179ng/dl)
SHBG: 9nmol/L (15 - 50)

Levels dropped to 2.0nmol/L while using Axiron. I will try to get a copy of my most recent labs, but they are not very extensive as the Endo is only requesting T, FSH and LH.

I also completed a saliva test for Cortisol levels which came back as follows:
Morning: 20.3nmol/L (6.0-42.0)
Midday: 2.8nmol/L (2.0-11.0)
Afternoon: 2.0nmol/L (2.0-11.0)
Evening: 1.0nmol/L (1.0-8.0)

The Endo didn’t really take the saliva test seriously as it was done by a Clinical Nutritionist, and was comfortable with my morning Cortisol level. Not sure what is means really.

Would love some feedback and insight as it is difficult to get much out of my Endo, and would be great to hear from anybody that has used Reandron?

Cheers.

Please see these stickies linked here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman
advice for new guys
things that damage your hormones
protocol for injections

I am concerned that your weight gain may also be driven by a thyroid problem. Which can sometimes be a result of iodine deficiency. You can eval your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as suggested in the thyroid basics sticky.

While your four sample saliva test may not be something that your endo can work with, because he does not have experience with it, he should be comfortable that there is a pattern of low levels past the morning. He can do a AM cortisol lab, which you need to have done at 8AM to ground that pattern with something he understands. Do you feel that your energy levels follow that pattern in the saliva tests?

Please see: Offline Maintenance

Have you been using iodize salt or vitamins that list iodine+selenium.

We see a strong pattern of inability to absorb transdermals [Axiron] with thyroid problems and thus this inability is a symptom of thyroid problems. All the more reason to get those oral body temperatures.

The lab ranges for thyroid are stupid and mislead doctors. You can have major effects with lab number that are normal.

Labs: - you have some now
TT
FT
E2
LH/FSH
prolactin
CBC
hematocrit
fasting cholesterol
fasting glucose
A1C if fasting glucose is elevated
AM cortisol
TSH

More frequent injections would provide better/steadier results.