32 Years Old, Low Test

Height: 5’10
Weight - 175
Bodyfat - not fat but not super lean either, maybe 15% ?

Training history - Been training approx. 10 years. Following 5/3/1 program last 2 years or so. Usually lift 3 days a week and do 2-3 conditioning sessions per week.

Drug history - No steroid or prohormone use. No prescription meds either.

Supplements - Currently taking 2 - 3 g Vitamin C daily. No other supps.

Symptoms: Fatigue, low energy. Never feel good. Achy muscles and joints (regardless of training). No libido. Moody and cranky a lot.

At my most recent yearly physical (January 2012), I asked my doc to test my testosterone levels since he was ordering normal bloodwork anyway. Here are my results from that test (this was at 8 A.M. and fasted)

Testosterone, Serum 403 ng/dL (range 348 - 1197)
Free Testosterone 8.0 pg/mL (range 8.7 - 25.1)
TSH 1.810 uIU/mL (range 0.450 - 4.500)
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 44.6 ng/mL (range 30.0 - 100.0)

Met with my primary care doc about my symptoms May 21st, and he ordered further bloodwork. Here are the results:

Testosterone, Total 397 (range 348 - 1197 ng/dL)
Testosterone, Free 5.9 (range 8.7 - 25.1 pg/mL)

Vitamin D 25 hydroxy 39.3 (range 30.0 - 100.0 ng/mL)

TSH 1.890 (range 0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL)
T4, total 7.8 (range 4.5 - 12.0 ug/dL)
Ferritin 161 (range 30 - 400 ng/mL)
Estradiol 20.0 (range 7.6 - 42.6 pg/mL)
DHEA 141 (range 31 - 701 ng/dL)
PSA 0.4 (range 0.0 - 4.0 ng/mL)

Both tests are from LabCorp, if that helps.

My doc said that if test is low, he would have no problem prescribing TRT. However, I am concerned because I have no experience with this. I have been doing a lot of reading and have learned a lot. Thank you for those that have shared your knowledge. Does anyone have any suggestions about my case? Anything I am missing or needs further testing?

Definitely low. D3 could be better, I would supplement that.

Need to get LH/FSH to see if you are primary/secondary. This will impact your treatment options.

VTBalla,
Thanks for the reply. I asked for LH/FSH to be tested but doc said it wasn’t necessary. I will ask again next week when he returns from vacation.

Will supplement D-3 also. Appreciate the help, man.

So I finally got back in to see the doc 12 days ago. Doc agreed that test is low and everything else seems ok. He gave me the option of the patch, gel, or injections. (I opted for injections.) He prescribed 200 mg of Test Cypionate every two weeks. He also gave me a 200mg shot in his office.

Results: I felt pretty good for about 4 or 5 days. Not a major difference, but energy, mood, and libido were noticeably better. Day 6, I struggled with fatigue during a (what should have been easy) squat workout. Since then, energy, mood and libido have nosedived again. The 2 week dosing period seems strange to me: everyone I have seen seems to be dosing 2 or 3 times per week. Also, my testes have been aching bad the past few days. I have literally been holding my kids at arms length from me due to the soreness.

So I go back in 2 days in order for my wife to learn how to do the injections and after that, I can inject at home. Any thoughts/opinions on this dosing protocol and the ache in the testes?

And you have learned early why we recommend no less than 2 injections per week.

There’s not a lot to learn, you should be able to do it yourself. Get 29 gauge insulin pins and inject in deltoids or teardrops of your quads. There are youtube videos on this, and also sites that will show you what to do.

Ask your doctor about HCG to keep your nuts from being sore. Although since he didnt test LH/FSH, and doesnt know any protocol other than ever 2 weeks for shots, your likelihood of getting HCG is low.

Doc gave me some syringes. They are 22G. Are these ok?

Since I am self-injecting, I was thinking of taking the 200 mg and dividing it into 4 50 mg injections (injecting twice per week). Would this be ok?

My doc is a family physician, so I don’t think he is very knowledgeable about TRT. But at least he is willing to work with me on this. I will ask about the HCG. And then we will do blood work in a few months and see what needs to be adjusted.

Thanks for the help VTB

They will work but 29 gauage slin pins are MUCH easier and pain free

Yes, that is optimal.

The injection itself didn’t hurt but the injection site was a little tender for a few days. Thanks for the tip on the syringes, I will pick some up.