32 Y/O M, First Blood Work Received

Hi T-Nation,

I discovered this site after submitting my blood work, but before I got the results. I’ve read through stickies and learned a lot of valuable information. I’ll try to make my post, and use this forum, in a way that follows guidelines suggested in the stickies. Hopefully people can read my case and give me advice.

Height: 6 Ft
Waist: 36 Inches
Weight: 210 lbs

Hair: Significant loss on top of head. Clearly going bald. Used to have a full head of hair. Facial and body hair no changes. Never took hair loss drugs.

Fat: Carry body fat in my waist (played D1 soccer in college and my body fat was tested at 8%. I believe it was likely closer to just above 11-12%. Regardless, for the last 3-4 years I estimate I am at 22-25% and it literally all sits around my waist. I have a healthy diet and exercise consistently).

Rx and OTC drugs: Asthma Meds. Creatine. Whey and Casein Protein, Vitamin D.

Diet: Good diet but I don’t eat enough leafy greens. I did a stupid cleanse in my 20’s three times called the Ultimate Cleanse. It was literally no eating except for drinking a lemonade/maple syrup mixture and a salt water flush for 10 days. So, no eating for 10 days. I lasted 6, 8, then 10 days in the three years I did it. After 10 days no food my first poop was white; yes, a white poop. I swear that cleanse messed up my metabolism. Last time I did it was seven years ago. Never again.

Starting lifting in Feb 2015. First six month I was doing ICF 5X5. Realized gains, mostly in strength, not nearly as much in muscle mass. Upper body doesn’t seem to grow. Recently switched to PHAT. Too early to see if I am making gains. (strength gains were slow and small).

Testes don’t ache.

I am often tired (I usually get 8 hours. I am still tired).
Difficult for me to add muscle. (Especially on upper body).
Erections less full (I still get morning wood, but my erections don’t last as long and are much less full).

Lab Results:
Result Name Normal Ref. Range/Units
Thyroxine, Free 1.03 0.76 - 1.46 ng/dL
TSH 1.62 0.40 - 4.00 mU/L
Lutropin 3.2 1.5-9.3 IU/L
PSA 0.5 0-4 ug/L
Free T3 3.3 2.3-4.2 pg/mL
Vit D 39 30-75 ug/L

Testosterone, Total 517 240-950 ng/dL
SHBG 34 11-80 nmol/L
Free Test Calc 10.71 4.7-24.4 ng/dL

DHEA Sulfate 174 80-560 ug/dL

Estradiol 25 10-40 pg/mL

Separate Blood Work Result:

B12 278 211-911 pg/mL

The Anti Aging Doc I saw said TRT is out of the question. I think I agree if I am in a normal range. However, I am kind of pissed. He charged $1,175 for the blood work. FSH and LSH were not tested, which I know know should be after reading this forum. He tried to sell me a B12 shot (said I needed more B12) and Vitamin D pills. I declined at the time. He also said my DHEA is too low and it should be raised.

My specific hope is to find a way to increase my free T. It is in the normal range, but on the lower side. I plan to do FSH and LSH testing on my own. I’m open to any advice that can move me towards my goals of putting on muscle, living long and strong, while reducing my symptoms (see above).

Thank you for this amazing forum,

Bombsaway

Thyroid labs look good,

but do test oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky.

Starvation and starvation diets are <<>>. Can increase rT3 that blocks fT3 and the metabolism and body temperature can suffer. If your body temps are low, that can be from elevated rT3, see the sticky and look for Wilson’s Book.

If body temps are low, that is a significant part of your problem.

Doing hard workouts by sheer will-power, mind over body, when your body is otherwise run down [low metabolism] can may things worse.

LH/FSH can be considered to be a follow up to low T and you did not get there in the doc’s eyes.

25mg DHEA
5,000iu vit-D3
a good high potency B-complex multi-vit that lists trace elements including iodine and selenium

From your labs. Please list with ranges:
RBC
hemoglobin
hematocrit HTC
fasting cholesterol
fasting glucose
A1C to eval average glucose

You are currently somewhat estrogen dominant and reducing E2 would help increase TT and FT.