T Nation

315 Snatch, 425 Bench, 6 min mile by 15/8/2011

I currently have a performance photo goal as well. But I'm going to let my training here drive the outcome when that 8 weeks is up, and post the photo there.

Bench: 395 as of 6 Feb - an all-time PR
Snatch: 255 as of 8 Feb - an all-time PR
Mile: untested, but pretty sure it's just under 7:00 - used to run a 5:30 mile, but that was in 10th grade and at 158 pounds...

Party starts today.

10 x 200 meter shuttles (100 down and back)

3 x 135, 185, 225, 275, 315, 365
10 x 415 (PR)
6 x 415

2 x 405
2 x 495
1 x 550
Usually I only do one set of heavy squats, but I am deciding to add more volume - so I think this might have effected my deadlift strength. From now on I'm going to do deadlift first when it comes around (only deadlift once every 3 weeks).

Overhead Walks w/ 135
40 yards
40 yards
40 yards
20 yards
20 yards

The turn around was killing me, couldn't make it anymore. I like these, made my shoulders feel great.

"Be content to act, and leave the talking to others."
- Baltasa

Slept in because it was snowing outside, or at least that was my rationalization.

3 x 360
3 x 360
3 x 360

Push Press
5 x 185
5 x 185
5 x 185
5 x 185

Even though I can push press more than I can strict overhead press, it takes so much fucking more energy to push press!

+45lb x 11
+45lb x 11
+45lb x 11

Successful workout.

Really strong lifting, man. How do you program your lifts?

Wow, what a question. I'm not even sure what that means completely. I usually pick a goal and train towards it with linear progression. Then every few weeks a fresh idea pops up on tnation that I will try for a couple weeks for a shock. But I always go back to linear progression it seems. I get injured so much playing rugby that I rarily hit plateaus, and either try to maintain or regain my previous strength. This is the longest period of time I've ever lifted without an injury - and it's fantastic. So to sum it up: my program is organized chaos.

Cool. So your not following any specific program, then. At any rate, you´ve got some impressive lifts. Good luck getting after your goals!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.
- Abraham Lincoln

12 x 200m shuttle
Was supposed to only do 11, but then I said fuck it, one more!
Took a cold shower afterwards and feel amazing right now and it's 9:34 am.

OH Press
5 x 185
5 x 185
5 x 185

+45 x 5
+45 x 5
+45 x 5

CG Bench
10 x 225
10 x 225
7+2 x 225
Kind of disappointed I didn't get 10 reps on the last set...I was really feeling it!

DB Row
20 x 100
20 x 100
20 x 100

Very impressive lifts sir... I will be following!

We're similar on some lifts ... but what really bugs me is your bench. I know I suck at the lift. Our OHP is identical, but I could probably bench 325. So disappointing :wink:

Nice lifts in here, and that's one of my favorite quotes up there by Abe!

What bugs me is I have a big bench but my overheads suck!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

It was colder than a witches tit in my room, so I skipped the run.

I tried the stretches from the "Yoga, for big guys" article here on TNation, and I liked it quite a bit.

16 sets of 3 x 185
The passion came over me.

Lying Leg Curls, pointed toe
20 x 35lbs
20 x 35lbs
17+3 x 35lbs

Impressive lifting here! I'll definitely be following along in hopes of learning a thing or two.

HEY! It's just fine :wink:

Awesome lifts, man. I will be following along as well. These type of logs remind to try harder than I am currently.

That's why I used it.

"A man does what he must...in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers, and pressures...and that is the basis of all human morality."
- John F. Kennedy

17 x 200m shuttles
I was only supposed to do 13 or 14, but sense I ate 17 cookies yesterday I felt like I needed to pay for my actions in some way. This run was fucked up, brutal. I also missed breakfast, so I was out of it the whole day. Skipped my workout.

Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose laziness and despondency make them give it up as unattainable.
Lord Chesterfield

3 x 365
3 x 365 w/ spot
3 x 365 w/ spot
A bit disappointed I needed the spot. I feel at 3 reps I can't mentally prepare myself for that kind of load, or maybe I'm just weak. Think I'm going to move up to a 5 or 6 rep bench. But good workout overall.

+45 x 5
+45 x 5
+45 x 5
+45 x 5

Push Press
10 x 135
10 x 145
10 x 165
10 x 185
Fuck this is a difficult lift, not strength wise, just taxing.

Seated Row
15 x 205

Preacher Curl
10 x 95
9 x 95
8 x 95

Thats some impressive benching! Also, those 200m shuttles sound pretty damn brutal. How often do you do them, and do you feel they affect your lower-body lifts?

I try to do it every other day, and not on days I squat, so there is no impact.