315 for 20 Reps, Then 405 for 15

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
JD430 wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
and THEN 500 for 3

http://intocombat.com/video_detail.php?VideoID=34

Fucking NUTS!!!

I love the guys that come out of the woodwork with the “those weren’t parallel!” comments. For his purposes, they were certainly deep enough.

Thats Rhadi Ferguson, a former member of the US Olympic Judo team, and one of the most explosive athletes on the face of the Earth. Im sure he has no interest in putting a protractor/ruler under his ass to see if he is 1.25 inches above parallel on a few reps. He is interested in developing the ability to repeatedly explode in movements relative to his sport.

Similar comments were being made about Tiki Barber training and it just makes you wonder …

Dude, take a valium…no need to white knight it to his rescuse; they were valid comments. Everyone said they were impressive and any ensuing critique is sometimes just an observation - not a condemnation or an evaluation of his training methods…someone made the comment that its insane - it was NOT insane at all…it would have been insane had he broke parallel b/c then the feat would have been truly impressive. Otherwise, its not all that impressive. That doesn’t mean he aint a strong, or as you put it explosive, mo fo…or, that he isn’t training correctly for his sport…it just is what it is…an observation. 20 ,15 and 3 above parallel squats to me is NOT impressive at those weights…well, let me qualify that - depending on how long rest between the 315 and 405, the 405 - even half assed for 15 WAS impressive. I think folks were more reacting to the characterization that it was “insane” rather than what the guy was actually doing or his performance. Lighten up! And before you attack me, yes, I can do 315 for 20 - legal and without a belt - not sure about the 405 for 15 but I’m all fast twitch and I assure you I get the 500x3 legal. The only thing that would challenge me is that 405 for big reps.

Now feel free to flame me and tell me he’d whip my ass, etc. LOL. But before you do, I’m just telling you I don’t think anyone here (at least I wasn’t) intended to criticize the guy - they just made observations.

And yes, I agree with you, unless you’re a powerlifter ( I am ) or a bodybuilder, the parallel or below parallel squat thing is overrated. When I played pro-b ball, my vert was 40" and I lived on partial jump and explosive squats and I never went to parallel. So we do agree in spirit.
[/quote]

Powerlifting, ex pro b-ball, can squat 315 for 20 ATG, 40" vert., all fast twitch (LOL), did I miss anything.

But just couldn’t pull the trigger on a real compliment on this feat. Had to backhand it in there. Why, because you can do it? Yah, you’re right, that does make it seem less impressive!

To the rest of you
1/2 squat
not quite parallel
how much rest…
haters,

I’ll bet right now you couldn’t duplicate this. Feel free to PM me and I’ll find a way to get you to my gym or make arrangements to have you taped so we can all see everyone do this.

Thanks for the vid link, when I get a chance (on a better computer) I’ll be sure to check it out just to see it. Other than that the numbers (minus the nice amount of weight on the bar) sounds a lot like a CrossFit style workout- on days where they post the “21-15-9” rep workout. Now if most of the CF people could move this kind of weight. crazy. Thanks again for the vid link.

[quote]wonder …

Powerlifting, ex pro b-ball, can squat 315 for 20 ATG, 40" vert., all fast twitch (LOL), did I miss anything.

But just couldn’t pull the trigger on a real compliment on this feat. Had to backhand it in there. Why, because you can do it? Yah, you’re right, that does make it seem less impressive!

To the rest of you
1/2 squat
not quite parallel
how much rest…
haters,

I’ll bet right now you couldn’t duplicate this. Feel free to PM me and I’ll find a way to get you to my gym or make arrangements to have you taped so we can all see everyone do this.

[/quote]

What a dick; reading is fundiminental friend. I didn’t back hand it; I reiterated that it was impressive for what it was; I clarified that we weren’t “criticizing” the feat per se. And if you’re threatened by what I can do, you have deeper issues.

As to any challenges, I think I made if fairly clear that I cannot duplicate that feat…but if you want to wager against the 315 for 20 (below paralell) followed by a legit 500x3 (also legal and no suit) you have a taker. I wasn’t bragging about being fast twitch with the vert etc, nimrod -I was illustrating why I couldn’t touch the 405 for 15 in ANY form…half squat or whatever.

And yes, that WAS a compliment and acknowledgement to the feat…as emphasized by my saying “in any form”. You’re the reason I hate the internet…and rarely post. Anyway, I’m sorry this post disintegrated and if I contributed to that, I apologize so if you want to comment further, you can PM me and we can have an internet hissy pissy match. Frankly though, I don’t really care…and no one I believe was “hating”…so you can take your saddle off his dick and get down from your ride there cowboy :slight_smile:

I read a few of the comments on here about the guy not going to, or below parallel and that’s true.

Personally, I don’t think a guy his size, looks to be well over 200lbs. squatting 315 for 20 is a big deal, even if his form was good which it wasn’t.

Let’s move on.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
stop the bickering please.

its a ridiculous show of athleticism

from a very impressive athlete.

full squat.

half squat.

bulgarian-triple-ply-double-dipped chocolate-chip squat.

Doesn’t really matter unless you can do that with 100lbs more.[/quote]

You are correct SIR.

Steve

Bodyguard,

Jesus. I can assure you I don’t need a valium. I was just making a point.

Im just a bit tired of guys coming on here whacking great athletes with nitpicky shit.(See the post about Tiki Barber’s training and a great response by a guy who goes by the name jumanji)

What gets me even more is that I suspect much of the critiques come from the 95% of the gymgoing population who have never had as much as 315 on their back or have never picked up a 200 lb. man and tossed him. It doesnt sound like you fit in that category, so Ill give you a pass on that.

Actually, it sounds like you agreed with the spirit of what I was saying so Im not sure why you made the parallel comment in the first place.

[quote]firemedichcfr14 wrote:
I read a few of the comments on here about the guy not going to, or below parallel and that’s true.

Personally, I don’t think a guy his size, looks to be well over 200lbs. squatting 315 for 20 is a big deal, even if his form was good which it wasn’t.

Let’s move on.[/quote]

For someone whose sport isn’t powerlifting, strongman, O-lifting, etc. it is impressive.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Bodyguard,

Jesus. I can assure you I don’t need a valium. I was just making a point.

Im just a bit tired of guys coming on here whacking great athletes with nitpicky shit.(See the post about Tiki Barber’s training and a great response by a guy who goes by the name jumanji)

What gets me even more is that I suspect much of the critiques come from the 95% of the gymgoing population who have never had as much as 315 on their back or have never picked up a 200 lb. man and tossed him. It doesnt sound like you fit in that category, so Ill give you a pass on that.

Actually, it sounds like you agreed with the spirit of what I was saying so Im not sure why you made the parallel comment in the first place.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply; we DO agree and if I came off over the top, I apologize. The internet is so amazing for the potential to communicate with a vast array of people you’d never meet let alone trade dialogue with but its limited in its ability to communicate clearly - and most of us, me included, when rattling off a quick post, don’t have time to write, proof and re-write again :slight_smile:

I didn’t intend to be nitpicky about the lifts and you’re ABSOLUTELY right about guys in these types of forums coming out of the woodwork and critiquing/criticizing something they will NEVER accomplish.

My only point was that his feat was not “insane”…it was impressive yes, but I believe you kinda get what I feel about 20 reps at a certain weight in a half squat v. 20 real reps.

And the point about Tiki and that threat is very valid. That’s why I mentioned in my B-ball days how I squatted. Heck bro, I was squatting then in the smith machine and didn’t know shit. I can only wonder what PROPER training would have done for me then.

But the point is, and I think you make the same point, that parallel, below parallel squats are over rated when it comes to sport because those guys are not moving in that range of motion…basketball players, football players, and MMA guys alike.

Maybe the parallel comment of mine was misplaced…but I, probably like alot of other Type A, competitive guys, immediatley see something and try to place in into perspective v. what I myself can accomplish…so as I’m sitting there doing that mental math of that very impressive feat, I’m saying to myself, yea, but could he do it breaking parallel?

Not very relevant I agree ultimately, but it was at least part of my mental math there :slight_smile:

I’ll just close it by saying yes, I agree with you Sir, it is damn impressive no matter what the form…I’m impressed with the endurance strength, which MMA guys need…and only those of us whom have taken a weight and dropped for 20 or more can appreciate how difficult the task is. Thanks for correcting me.

I think it is very impressive for a guy who trains for Judo and not powerlifting, Rhadi is a fucking monster.

That guys form is terrible.

The funny thing is that it is Juan carlos santana himself who spots him on the third set. jc doesn’t even say anything to him about the last set, and the lifter himself comments that the last two reps weren’t very good, I don’t know if the first one was all too spectacular.

I am sure that his coach wasn’t too impressed with the form.

As far as the two guys with the med ball, they give “functional” training with regular people a bad name. I do some of that stuff with people and those guys are doing a real terrible job. those rotations were weak and sucked and those high low chops were lame too.

I am surprised that juan carlos lets his trainers look like that with their clients in his facility.

Not to take anything away from that man. But have you ever seen that video where Tom Platz squats 500lbs for 25 reps.

Yes he’s an animal. I’d like to have a partner like him!

[quote]AK47 wrote:
Not to take anything away from that man. But have you ever seen that video where Tom Platz squats 500lbs for 25 reps.

Yes he’s an animal. I’d like to have a partner like him![/quote]

FFFFFFFF-UCK

I think you all should set higher standards.

He did 315 for 20 reps and then 405 for 15.

Depth was a joke, and I felt ill watching his form.

He is better than most whimps in the gym. That is true. He is strong as well. And never have i seen a man dance before he gets under the bar to squat.

I’m a powerlifter, currently at 207lbs bodyweight, and after i finished my last boris sheiko mesocycle, i had a fun workout with a friend, where we started off with free weight barbell lunges (opposite knee to ground) and i worked up till a set of four @ 330lbs.

After that we had planned to do 20 reps in the squat. So i did 20 reps quite “easily” with the same weight, stopped at 20 because that’s what I decided to do. But there were more reps in me.

I did not find that a very impressive feat.

Now, I’m unoficially ranked as no. 10 in the country in my weight class in the squat.

When I am ranked as no 1. and set a new national record, now - THAT would be impressive.

I believe you can find some videos of my lifting if you search my nickname on testestorone magazine web site.

I would not rate this video as nuts. It is a good effort, but alas his depth gets shallower and shallower, and i think he gives up easily in the end.

it is quite possible i will post a video later on doing a set of 20 with more weight than he does.

but as this is not called for in my training regimen i see no immediate need to do it.

there should be a video of me doing a triple raw with 473lbs if you do a search for “squats critique” on this site.

set your standards higher - and work hard!

Let’s move on.[/quote]

315 lbs for 20 reps is always impressive and a big deal no matter what the body weight is…

Yer all a bunch of pansies. YOu guys don’t know shit. That guy in the video is a huge wussy. I could kick his ass.

I can squat 1000 lbs with one leg using perfect form. I know my form is perfect because my kneecaps exploded and I had to get the doctor to replace my inverted rectum. But I did it ass to grass, standing on a specially made physioball. The vein in my forehead now protrudes 6.76 inches.

My vertical jump is 80 inches. If I had a dick, it would be 80 inches long. That’s how I know my vert jump is 80 inches.

I even kicked Chuck Norris’ ass. With a round kick to the head.

Pussies…

[quote]randman wrote:
firemedichcfr14 wrote:

Let’s move on.

315 lbs for 20 reps is always impressive and a big deal no matter what the body weight is…[/quote]

You think so? I don’t know about that. If someone weighs 230lbs and squats 315 for 20 I don’t find that impressive, not for an athelete and someone who trains with weights.

Body weight plays into everything. That’s why they have weight divisions in all of the lifting sports.

That’s really only 30% more than his bodyweight. (if the guy in the video weighs 230).

So if a guy who weighs 160 does 205 for 20 are you going to be falling all over yourself with congratualtions? I mean it’s a decent feat but nothing that unusual for someone who trains consistently.

He should get some different shoes to squat in, like olympic lifting shoes or chucks. Cross trainer are very unstable.

randman wrote:
firemedichcfr14 wrote:

Let’s move on.

315 lbs for 20 reps is always impressive and a big deal no matter what the body weight is…

You think so? I don’t know about that. If someone weighs 230lbs and squats 315 for 20 I don’t find that impressive, not for an athelete and someone who trains with weights.

Body weight plays into everything. That’s why they have weight divisions in all of the lifting sports.

That’s really only 30% more than his bodyweight. (if the guy in the video weighs 230).

So if a guy who weighs 160 does 205 for 20 are you going to be falling all over yourself with congratualtions? I mean it’s a decent feat but nothing that unusual for someone who trains consistently.
[/quote]

I really have to disagree with the above. anyone that has done 20 rep squats knows that its not necessarily the amount of weight but the cardio aspect. In addition, although I feel your observation about relative weight is valid, I feel that it becomes less a factor with high reps…the heavy guy doing high reps is moving is bwt. in addition to the weight…I bet you take any relative weight formula system and it would be modified along my thoughts if it wasn’t considering one rep max lifts as opposed to something like 20 reps.

In fact, relatively speaking, the lighter lifter may have the advantage at reps that high. Anyway, its just my opinion and I’ve squatted high 600 in a contest and I still feel 315 for 20 is a bitch. I also feel that in addition to bodyweight, your muscle composition (fast v. slow) is a big factor. 20 reps for a fast twitch guy is damn near impossible at anything approaching his 10 rep max as opposed to a slow twitch guy. Just some food for thought to consider when evaluating these performances.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

20 rep squats if done properly should not take any longer than about :60 to :80 seconds. While that’s longer than the typical power lifting or body building set it’s not anywhere in the area where you need exceptional cardio.

The time limit above is indicative of using the “anaerobic” system far more than the “aerobic” system.

Here is an interesting site which speaks to that issue.

www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/enduranc.htm

Bottom line, I don’t think that someone who trains regularly would be limited by his cardio capacity to achieve a 20 rep squat with a respectable weight.

He might be limited by other things such as desire or strength.

I would agree with you if the participant had a great deal of body fat. We have no idea of the body fat of the guy on the video, we can only guess.

Otherwise I think that any person who regularly trains hard with heavy weights, has a body weight of 210 to 230 pounds and a body fat of say under 12% could squat 315 for 20 reps. Some would have a harder time than others depending on how they train etc. And of course you have to have the desire to do it.

But the typical 160lb man could not squat 315 eaiser than a 230lb man. And that is my original point.

Relative strength is not as important as sheer body weight when adding pounds to the bar. That’s the reason that big people move more weight than little people.

[quote] Anyway, its just my opinion and I’ve squatted high 600 in a contest and I still feel 315 for 20 is a bitch. I also feel that in addition to bodyweight, your muscle composition (fast v. slow) is a big factor. 20 reps for a fast twitch guy is damn near impossible at anything approaching his 10 rep max as opposed to a slow twitch guy. Just some food for thought to consider when evaluating these performances.
[/quote]

I agree with you here. Muscle fiber plays a significant factor in all of this.