310 Bench at 155lbs Bodyweight

One thing I will say helps is having strong traps. Ive always done tons of cleans and snatches and deadlift and my traps always dominate the lifts. Watch Thibs bench video, he talks about grabbing the bar hard as he can and engaging the traps when you bench and especially when you unrack.

Im doing lots of shrugs with the trap bar right now which seems to help a lot.

Will get a video up today of that as going to do shrugs later.
trap bar deadlift is 230kg right now, but got bad collateral knee ligament injury so taking it easy from deads and squats. so will see how heavy i can get with shrugs.

I also am probably the biggest fan of the standing overhead military press as I think it will improve peoples bench more so that any other lift. will get you strong on the bench where most are weak, at least thats my opinion. yesterday after benching 5x5 i hit 75kg for 5 reps standing strict military press, strict with no leg drive all the way to locked out elbows and all the way down below chin yesterday, but it hurt like a bitch due to bicep injury (not sure how) so have to lay off that a bit.

I will start getting some videos up.

Both very useful videos

[quote]miltonkeynesmma wrote:
One thing I will say helps is having strong traps. Ive always done tons of cleans and snatches and deadlift and my traps always dominate the lifts. Watch thibs bench video, he talks about grabbing the bar hard as he can and engaging the traps when you bench and especially when you unrack.

Im doing lots of shrugs with the trap bar right now which seems to help a lot.

Will get a video up today of that as going to do shrugs later.
trap bar deadlift is 230kg right now, but got bad collateral knee ligament injury so taking it easy from deads and squats. so will see how heavy i can get with shrugs.

I also am probably the biggest fan of the standing overhead military press as I think it will improve peoples bench more so that any other lift. will get you strong on the bench where most are weak, at least thats my opinion. yesterday after benching 5x5 i hit 75kg for 5 reps standing strict military press, strict with no leg drive all the way to locked out elbows and all the way down below chin yesterday, but it hurt like a bitch due to bicep injury (not sure how) so have to lay off that a bit.

I will start getting some videos up.[/quote]

funny you say that about the military press. i beleive i remember thibs saying he recommends doing push presses just before benching as it helps to potentiate the muscles for the bench.

Good videos on the bench tho, most of the tips i’ve seen already. it can get quite confusing though will all the different techniques flying about. I’ve just recently changed to using powerlifting form, shoulder depressed and retracted etc… and then i watched thibs’ video and i’ve no idea what to do. I think i might just try both and see which one works best for me. Although what thibs was saying about power lifting form being developed and more suited to benching equipped it would make sense to use his technique.

I lift raw, and if my elbows flare out wide, they are in a weakened position kinda like with the snatch in my view.

When i military press I only do it strict, I use zero leg drive, in my opinion this translates over to benching strength more so than push presses or jerks using the legs.
again, just my own personal thoughts.

but light push presses as a warm up should work nicely as a warm up to activate the delts and triceps for benching

Very impressive, what numbers you hitting on the OH press ? I’m really trying to bring mine up at the moment

i train with 5 sets of 5 reps all sets with 75kg strict overhead press. just sticking with that at the moment.

Damn much more than i can do, Any chance of a video? I’m trying to find a good vid to get some technique tips from but all the ones i see they use quite a bit of leg drive, Good luck with your training your a beast at your weight and much much stronger than people alot heavier

Thank you. Will get more videos up soon.

Today was trap bar shrugs (165kg) 5 sets of 10 reps then chain push ups dropsets, heres the video of the push ups. handles are there, mainly so the chains spend less time on the floor adding bit more range of motion.
I used a 10kg weighted vest and 6 heavy powerlifting chains. We do as many as we can, take off 1 chain,do as many as we can again, take off another chain etc, until we are down to just bodyweight. going heavy with 6 chains and a weighted vest as want lower reps for strength endurance and so some of the gains transfer over to bench. but, mainly for fun and to break up the norm.
by the time you get down to your bodyweight, it feels like your doing a 5 rep max bench press set with your bodyweight but with the pump from hell and your arms just refuse to move. insane.
i have done all kinds of things but this is THE single best thing to get an insane chest pump. my pecs cramp up for hours afterwards, everytime i do this chain dropset.
hope you enjoy