T Nation

30m Sprints

can you guys check my lil bro running tech hes running a 30m sprint from a 3point position and a 60m sprint from a standing where he acc for 40m then maintain for 20m? thanks

In the accel phase he looks like he is forcing his head down rather than having a neutral position. Have someone watch him in the start and make sure his spine is pretty much straight. The head will rise as his torso does.

Top speed, just coach him on the cue “step over and down”. Pretty much he should be stepping over his opposite knee, nice and relaxed.

Those two things should help a lil, otherwise he looks very powerful.

[quote]jic503 wrote:
In the accel phase he looks like he is forcing his head down rather than having a neutral position. Have someone watch him in the start and make sure his spine is pretty much straight. The head will rise as his torso does.

Top speed, just coach him on the cue “step over and down”. Pretty much he should be stepping over his opposite knee, nice and relaxed.

Those two things should help a lil, otherwise he looks very powerful.[/quote]

the first tip shouldnt be a problem but the second one i have been trying to coach him to step over the opposite knee, just not going through.

[quote]jic503 wrote:
In the accel phase he looks like he is forcing his head down rather than having a neutral position. Have someone watch him in the start and make sure his spine is pretty much straight. The head will rise as his torso does.

Top speed, just coach him on the cue “step over and down”. Pretty much he should be stepping over his opposite knee, nice and relaxed.

Those two things should help a lil, otherwise he looks very powerful.[/quote]

i forgot do you think hes taking short choppy steps?

im trying to figure sprint
technique myself too. But he is looking strong.
just wondering, how old is he and what are his 30 meter times and other stats such as 40s and vert.

Yes, he seems to be taking short choppy steps. Don’t really que the running differently though, just and in some training exercises; bulgarian squats, 4 way hip machine hip flexion and extension, reverse hyper, etc.

[quote]Kaz wrote:
Yes, he seems to be taking short choppy steps. Don’t really que the running differently though, just and in some training exercises; bulgarian squats, 4 way hip machine hip flexion and extension, reverse hyper, etc. [/quote]

he dont do any of those movements his lifting is very simple: pc/hc/spilt jerk/bsq/snatch dl/bp

[quote]utfootball4 wrote:
can you guys check my lil bro running tech hes running a 30m sprint from a 3point position and a 60m sprint from a standing where he acc for 40m then maintain for 20m? thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLqZCLppeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvvpD38-hbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTp_vJrTOe8 [/quote]

You want the truth right? You did ask on an open forum right? Okay.

He has the stride of a midget. But it’s not just that his stride is short, he also seems to have a problem actually lifting his feet and knees up. And he’s also leaning slightly back for the final half or so. I don’t like how he moves his head either. And as far as his arm swing, well it leaves much to be desired.

Please get him some good coaching. I’m sure he’ll improve fast.

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
im trying to figure sprint
technique myself too. But he is looking strong.
just wondering, how old is he and what are his 30 meter times and other stats such as 40s and vert.[/quote]

5’7 210
6.5’s 55m, 10.8 100m
bp 385
pc 330
bsq 575
vj 36in

[quote]Edders wrote:
utfootball4 wrote:
can you guys check my lil bro running tech hes running a 30m sprint from a 3point position and a 60m sprint from a standing where he acc for 40m then maintain for 20m? thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLqZCLppeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvvpD38-hbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTp_vJrTOe8

You want the truth right? You did ask on an open forum right? Okay.

He has the stride of a midget. But it’s not just that his stride is short, he also seems to have a problem actually lifting his feet and knees up. And he’s also leaning slightly back for the final half or so. I don’t like how he moves his head either. And as far as his arm swing, well it leaves much to be desired.

Please get him some good coaching. I’m sure he’ll improve fast.

[/quote]

thanks for your help, we also have to take note this film was in the middle of a workout on wed, on mon he did heavy squats and 780m of speed work, on tue he did bb circuits, 360 med ball throws and 8x12 hurdle drills. i will post more film once he get in comp phase.

[quote]Edders wrote:
utfootball4 wrote:
can you guys check my lil bro running tech hes running a 30m sprint from a 3point position and a 60m sprint from a standing where he acc for 40m then maintain for 20m? thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLqZCLppeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvvpD38-hbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTp_vJrTOe8

You want the truth right? You did ask on an open forum right? Okay.

He has the stride of a midget. But it’s not just that his stride is short, he also seems to have a problem actually lifting his feet and knees up. And he’s also leaning slightly back for the final half or so. I don’t like how he moves his head either. And as far as his arm swing, well it leaves much to be desired.

Please get him some good coaching. I’m sure he’ll improve fast.

[/quote]

im looking at maurice drew run his 40 he dont have much of a stride.

[quote]utfootball4 wrote:
digitalairair wrote:
im trying to figure sprint
technique myself too. But he is looking strong.
just wondering, how old is he and what are his 30 meter times and other stats such as 40s and vert.

5’7 210
6.5’s 55m, 10.8 100m
bp 385
pc 330
bsq 575
vj 36in[/quote]

Are those FAT times

His start sucks.

To my eye it appears he tries to pop upward into a normal running position far too early.

Leg “Turnover” is good, thats there.

One mentioned he “force his head down”. And I mentioned his body wants to come up into a normal running position too early.

Study first 10M from several people that have it as about as perfect as you can. Including the start. Look at people with his leverages ( limb/trunk lengths etc ). Study several and see whats working.

If he runs a 6.5 55M he has as much speed for any sport as needed.

Of course the more the better ( 6.3, 6.2, EG ), breaking the 40" on the vertical won’t hurt anything either.

Perhaps he wants more “pop” on each stride.

And I’m sure thats what you guys are trying to get to.

Of course if I could buy his 6.5 55M especially if it was electronic, my kids would all be in big houses…

Not being negative, just trying to MAX what the guy is working with.

[quote]moax wrote:
utfootball4 wrote:
digitalairair wrote:
im trying to figure sprint
technique myself too. But he is looking strong.
just wondering, how old is he and what are his 30 meter times and other stats such as 40s and vert.

5’7 210
6.5’s 55m, 10.8 100m
bp 385
pc 330
bsq 575
vj 36in

Are those FAT times

[/quote]

of course they are fat.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
His start sucks.

To my eye it appears he tries to pop upward into a normal running position far too early.

Leg “Turnover” is good, thats there.

One mentioned he “force his head down”. And I mentioned his body wants to come up into a normal running position too early.

Study first 10M from several people that have it as about as perfect as you can. Including the start. Look at people with his leverages ( limb/trunk lengths etc ). Study several and see whats working.

If he runs a 6.5 55M he has as much speed for any sport as needed.

Of course the more the better ( 6.3, 6.2, EG ), breaking the 40" on the vertical won’t hurt anything either.

Perhaps he wants more “pop” on each stride.

And I’m sure thats what you guys are trying to get to.

Of course if I could buy his 6.5 55M especially if it was electronic, my kids would all be in big houses…

Not being negative, just trying to MAX what the guy is working with.
[/quote]

have u ever seen ben johnson or flo jo run they both were up in there running phase fast, it can work if the runner has the strength to do so. yes he is trying to keep his head down, most runner now days do bc they try and copy hsi sprinting group so called drive phase.

pop in his stride could be true but hes in his training phase, once we start comp phase he will be much fresher (read above he did 780m of speed work and squatted 485 on mon)

[quote]utfootball4 wrote:
Edders wrote:
utfootball4 wrote:
can you guys check my lil bro running tech hes running a 30m sprint from a 3point position and a 60m sprint from a standing where he acc for 40m then maintain for 20m? thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLqZCLppeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvvpD38-hbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTp_vJrTOe8

You want the truth right? You did ask on an open forum right? Okay.

He has the stride of a midget. But it’s not just that his stride is short, he also seems to have a problem actually lifting his feet and knees up. And he’s also leaning slightly back for the final half or so. I don’t like how he moves his head either. And as far as his arm swing, well it leaves much to be desired.

Please get him some good coaching. I’m sure he’ll improve fast.

im looking at maurice drew run his 40 he dont have much of a stride.[/quote]

Keep in mind something that’s very important: You’re little brother is NOT Maurice Drew. Your brother needs to learn and use proper form.

Let’s see some video of him when he’s not all tired out from his strength training. He might look better then.

I was going to respond, but then I read every response of yours and have come to the conclusion that you are not here to get better, you just wanted a pat on the back.

Everyone who has taken the time to respond has made valid points and you have deflected them all and used elite sprinters as your argument. You make excuses and attempts at validation. You’ve made your own thread useless

I’m even fairly certain that this is not your little bro, but in fact you.

[quote]Edders wrote:
utfootball4 wrote:
Edders wrote:
utfootball4 wrote:
can you guys check my lil bro running tech hes running a 30m sprint from a 3point position and a 60m sprint from a standing where he acc for 40m then maintain for 20m? thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLqZCLppeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvvpD38-hbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTp_vJrTOe8

You want the truth right? You did ask on an open forum right? Okay.

He has the stride of a midget. But it’s not just that his stride is short, he also seems to have a problem actually lifting his feet and knees up. And he’s also leaning slightly back for the final half or so. I don’t like how he moves his head either. And as far as his arm swing, well it leaves much to be desired.

Please get him some good coaching. I’m sure he’ll improve fast.

im looking at maurice drew run his 40 he dont have much of a stride.

Keep in mind something that’s very important: You’re little brother is NOT Maurice Drew. Your brother needs to learn and use proper form.

Let’s see some video of him when he’s not all tired out from his strength training. He might look better then.

[/quote]

thanks man, will post once he start comp phase. dont know what u mean by the maurice drew comment i believe 6.5 55m is faster then a 4.4 40.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
I was going to respond, but then I read every response of yours and have come to the conclusion that you are not here to get better, you just wanted a pat on the back.

Everyone who has taken the time to respond has made valid points and you have deflected them all and used elite sprinters as your argument. You make excuses and attempts at validation. You’ve made your own thread useless

I’m even fairly certain that this is not your little bro, but in fact you.[/quote]

if u dont want to respond then dont, i really dont care what you think… im gonna say what i think of his runs and you guys can do the same, its not like i never played sports myself, i ran a 10.5m 100m and played rb/wr at div 1 school in texas. anyways enough on ur stupid post. thanks to the guys who make comments valid comments.

[quote]utfootball4 wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
I was going to respond, but then I read every response of yours and have come to the conclusion that you are not here to get better, you just wanted a pat on the back.

Everyone who has taken the time to respond has made valid points and you have deflected them all and used elite sprinters as your argument. You make excuses and attempts at validation. You’ve made your own thread useless

I’m even fairly certain that this is not your little bro, but in fact you.

if u dont want to respond then dont, i really dont care what you think… im gonna say what i think of his runs and you guys can do the same, its not like i never played sports myself, i ran a 10.5m 100m and played rb/wr at div 1 school in texas. anyways enough on ur stupid post. thanks to the guys who make comments valid comments.[/quote]

yet you respond!

If you ran a 10.5 and played D1 football in Texas, you wouldn’t be asking these questions or you would receive the critiques with an open mind.

Though, some of this does explain your posting style and proves what I think about Texas’ education system.