T Nation

30g Fiber - Too Much Effort

Hi,

In trying to consume the 30g of fiber RDA, I find that I am eating much more and actually gaining weight.

Is this a normal reaction? before this change, I had been eating 1 big meal and 1 snack a day for the past 5 years.

Now that I am conscious of the 30g fiber, I HAVE to eat at least 4 times a day. I capitalized “have” because I am not even hungry, but if I don’t eat that often, I will never reach the 30g a day.

I work out 3 times a week and am still gaining weight. I am pretty sure it is not muscle gain as I do not see it.

Any advise here? I’d like to go back to my old eating habits and forgo the 30g fiber requirement. At least I won’t be gaining weight, but I’m worried I will not get definition in the upper body.

Thanks in advance!

You have stumbled upon a bodybuilding forum. The goal for most of us is weight gain including more muscle mass with the eventual goal of leaning down once that mass is built. You seem confused about this.

Are those “fiber” sources from sugar-filled processed foods, or are they healthy sources? I can’t think of another reason why you’re putting on weight. I know that it’s not the fiber though. You can’t get fat off of 30 grams of fiber a day.

If you are, then maybe you have some major health problems. And don’t get confused with the difference between WATER/Glycogen gain and fat gain. Many newbs do.

[quote]nagarelli wrote:
Hi,

In trying to consume the 30g of fiber RDA, I find that I am eating much more and actually gaining weight.

Is this a normal reaction? before this change, I had been eating 1 big meal and 1 snack a day for the past 5 years.

Now that I am conscious of the 30g fiber, I HAVE to eat at least 4 times a day. I capitalized “have” because I am not even hungry, but if I don’t eat that often, I will never reach the 30g a day.

I work out 3 times a week and am still gaining weight. I am pretty sure it is not muscle gain as I do not see it.

Any advise here? I’d like to go back to my old eating habits and forgo the 30g fiber requirement. At least I won’t be gaining weight, but I’m worried I will not get definition in the upper body.

Thanks in advance![/quote]

What are your fiber sources? If you’re getting all of your fiber from wonderbread, it would make sense that you’re getting fat.

Good/healthy sources of fiber that are low calorie:

celery, kale, spinach, collard greens, broccoli, green beans, bell peppers, onions, etc…

other good sources of fiber:

pretty much any fruit or vegetable, peas, beans, lentils, whole grains (oats, barley, spelt, etc…)

BTW, you want to eat LESS than 4 meals a day? Why?

[quote]nagarelli wrote:
before this change, I had been eating 1 big meal and 1 snack a day for the past 5 years. [/quote]

I used to eat one big meal a day. It was lunch. Every day I went next door to an Indian restaurant and had Aloo Mattar (potato and pea curry), over white (basmati) rice. Filled me right up. I was set for the rest of the day. I also got to be the fattest I’ve ever been.

Eat 6 small meals a day. Get your fiber and carbs from lots of different kinds (and colors) of vegetables and some fruit. Eat your carbs early in the day. Make a couple of your meals protein drinks with 2 tablespoons of milled flax seed mixed in. Voila you’ll be at 30 grams or fiber and thinner.

30grams of fiber is easy to accomplish.

Throw 1 can of kidney/black/chick beans into a batch of pasta and you are good to go.

Eating 30 grams of protein from broccoli alone is a chore.

Just be selective.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Fiber One - I don’t know the exact numbers but it is around 60 calories for 1/2 cup and 14 grams of fiber.

Too much effort for 30g’s of fiber? are you kidding me? follow the above suggestions, this is such an easy task to accomplish, most foods that are high in fiber usually help people LOSE not GAIN weight…

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
Too much effort for 30g’s of fiber? are you kidding me? follow the above suggestions, this is such an easy task to accomplish, most foods that are high in fiber usually help people LOSE not GAIN weight…[/quote]

If he is underweight to begin with (which on this site is a huge possibility), simply eating more often would cause “weight gain”. No one has asked for his stats yet and this is his ONLY post on this website.

The above suggestions should get you on target.

You may also need to give your body some time to recover from the abuse of eating only one meal a day - which is extremely unhealthy and unnatural. It’s just not used to eating healthfully yet. Be willing to fluxuate a little in your weight for the first three months or so. Add some Omega-3s - up to 10 g a day - which will boost your metabolism and improve your nutrient profile. What many people do is eat three smaller “meals” every day and two protein bars or snacks in between. If that sounds like a lot, build up to it over time. For example, I eat 4 meals a day, a protein shake before lifting, and a protein/carb recovery shake (surge) after.

Increase the intensity of each exercise session - even if it means your routine takes less time. That’ll give you an appetite! I’d recommend Chad Waterbury’s ABBH (http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459341). Just don’t jump right into it right away. Take a look at what exercises you’ll need to do, and then (as a beginner) take at least 4 weeks to develop good movement patterns with these exercises at lower weight. Towards the 3rd of 4th week, begin to increase the weight more and more to figure out which weights are your 3-rep max. It would definitely be good for you to work with an experience professional at first (a trainer if they know what they’re doing) to make sure you’re squatting, deadlifting, etc correctly. Don’t listen to any trainer who claims that those exercises are dangerous - they are probably very inexperienced and may have only taken a weekend cert course. Many trainers frankly will not understand the science behind Chad’s stuff, as he has an advanced degree, and they usually train for a hobby. The easiest thing is to look for an accredited cert (ACSM, NSCA, NASM, NCSF, NFPT, ACE, CI) and just ask for help on compound lifts, but if you can afford someone with a NSCA CSCS, go for it.

In terms of cardio, try adding 2 shorter but more intense interval sessions a week. They don’t need to be longer than 10 minutes for a beginner. Even if you return to exercising 3 times a week, this will help send your body positive signals initially. In fact, even though it is directed towards women, check out Jen’s article on why you can eat more when you learn how to train and eat healthfully (http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1504047)

And why fiber in particular? What’s the rest of your diet like? I recommend investing in a program instead of trying to build one yourself as a newbie (Precision Nutrition obviously comes to mind). As Prof X mentioned, post your stats, your exercise program, etc.

The biggest key to getting your 30g of fiber a day would be to actually consume some food. You may want to start with that simple step.

Thank you everyone!

Thank you for the tips.

Kind regards.

TLewis,

Thanks for taking the time!

Anyway, my stats when I started working out last December 2006.

5’6" 160lbs. All flab, nothing hard or defined.

Typical daily meal:

B - Cranberry, Macadamia Nut Cereal w/ 1 TBSP ground flaxseed, 1 TBSP psyllium husk, low-fat milk

L - 2 proteins (baked, fried, boiled, either…) 1 high fiber rice (14g). 1-2 fats.

After this time I am full. I no longer need to eat until the next day. I have a whey shake after workout M,W,F which consists of 1-4k run, light dumbbell work, abs and some kickboxing (3 rounds).

But I eat 1 more cereal for a snack and a 1 more meal similar to lunch for dinner just to eat.

As of today, 170lbs. All flab, nothing hard. In other words, same…

Thanks again!

[quote]nagarelli wrote:
Anyway, my stats when I started working out last December 2006.

5’6" 160lbs. All flab, nothing hard or defined.

[/quote]

That’s a pretty obvious sign that what you’re doing isn’t working.

I have an idea. Heavy weights+shit ton of food.

I think you are a little too worried about the fiber recommendation, but I’ll help you out anyway.

• Beans are a HUGE source of fiber.

• Any veggie will do

• The wheat bread I use has 5 grams per slice, thats at least 10 grams if I make a sandwhich

• The Wheat tortillas I use have between 7 and 12 depending on the brand…couple that with the beans and its a huge wallop of fiber and good carbs.

Get sugar free fiberchoice from your pharmacy/grocery store. 4 gms of soluble fber per 2 tabs. Very very useful…

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I think you are a little too worried about the fiber recommendation, but I’ll help you out anyway.

• Beans are a HUGE source of fiber.

• Any veggie will do

• The wheat bread I use has 5 grams per slice, thats at least 10 grams if I make a sandwhich

• The Wheat tortillas I use have between 7 and 12 depending on the brand…couple that with the beans and its a huge wallop of fiber and good carbs.[/quote]

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
nagarelli wrote:
before this change, I had been eating 1 big meal and 1 snack a day for the past 5 years.

I used to eat one big meal a day. It was lunch. Every day I went next door to an Indian restaurant and had Aloo Mattar (potato and pea curry), over white (basmati) rice. Filled me right up. I was set for the rest of the day. I also got to be the fattest I’ve ever been.

Eat 6 small meals a day. Get your fiber and carbs from lots of different kinds (and colors) of vegetables and some fruit. Eat your carbs early in the day. Make a couple of your meals protein drinks with 2 tablespoons of milled flax seed mixed in. Voila you’ll be at 30 grams or fiber and thinner.
[/quote]

Sounds like my bulking days at the asian buffet. Except it wasn’t just one meal.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
nagarelli wrote:
Typical daily meal:

B - Cranberry, Macadamia Nut Cereal w/ 1 TBSP ground flaxseed, 1 TBSP psyllium husk, low-fat milk

L - 2 proteins (baked, fried, boiled, either…) 1 high fiber rice (14g). 1-2 fats.

After this time I am full. I no longer need to eat until the next day. I have a whey shake after workout M,W,F which consists of 1-4k run, light dumbbell work, abs and some kickboxing (3 rounds).

But I eat 1 more cereal for a snack and a 1 more meal similar to lunch for dinner just to eat.

Thanks again!

Well THERE’S yer problem, lol.

Jesus, you eat crap for breakfast (almost any commercial cereal is guaranteed to be shit - sugar, salt, fat), Nothing midmorning, then a below-average lunch.

Then you repeat this shoddy intake later on.

You have a crap workout - too much cardio, and some ‘light weights’. The kickboxing is OK, provided it is done with sufficient intensity…

You have your protein intake AFTER training, when in actuality, you need protein BEFORE (to prevent muscle catabolism), DURING (BCAAs), and then AFTER but coupled with some carbs.

I see little or no fat intake, besides the crud that comes attached to your cereal.

Sorry to blast you, but the above is NOT a plan for developing a hard body, sorry.

Thats my opinion.

bushy[/quote]

thanks for saying this.

I read through the diet, but just didn’t know where to start.

bushy you nailed it!

To the OP: stop fuzzing about fiber, fiber is the last of your worries, try the t-dawg diet, or get precision nutrition, use ground flax seed. Do not try and take what you’re doing now as some sort of “base”, it’s about as good a base for developing a physique as fresh cow manure is for building sky scrapers. The only thing you’ve got right is the ground flax seeds.