300ZX

Hey, guys, how many of you love and have a Nissan 300ZX? I have a 94 corolla right now, it got hit on the right side(front fender to rear door). It’s still drivable. And one of my friend is selling his 1991 300ZX for $3k. He own the car for like 8 yrs and he drive it pretty good(no racing), but the interior is a little dirty. I would love to get it as a second car, but I am afraid problems will arise, after all, it is 14 yrs old. What do you guys think?

Depending on the mileage I’d probably go for it. Yeah, it’s old, but Zs are GREAT cars. You say he drove it pretty good, how was his maintenance, ie scheduled stuff etc?

First off how many miles does it have on it? Most 300zx’s from 1991 can still run great with almost 190,000 miles on it, depending on how well it was taken care of. 3k is a graet deal I think, they usually go for 5k or more.

It’s a fun car.

I would check the papers in your area to see if there are any other cars to compare it against.

I have one so just ask away. MY beloved 300zx is a 1990 in mint condition. I’m the second owner, we bought it from a family friend who kept it garaged and covered and drove it on the weekends.

The 300zx is an enthusiasts car and should be treated as such. They love TLC, just like a porsche. The Z32 300zx takes some work to keep it running properly, and by properly i mean optimally. So in essence they are high maintenance cars, but if you’re a car guy go ahead, one of the 10 best sports cars ever made. This car recieved accolades from ever car magazine out there and it’s been in the top ranking for a decade.

I’ve loved those cars since I was a kid! They’re so badass! If it has less than 160,000 miles, 3 grand is a great price. What about insurance. I would only get the best!

Also, only put 93 gas in it!!

Ok, I talked to him and it has 182000 miles on it. And has mandrel bent cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers. 5spds.

Problems of the car:
-it needs some bodywork like dents and dings.
-The front bumper is cracked, but i am planning to get a bodykit for it anyway.
-A new paint job.
-The power antenna doesnt work.
-Needs a new shaft.
-The backup lights do not turn on when in reverse.
-There is a rubber mount in the rear end that is missing that makes a little clunk noise when shifting sometimes
-The transmission grinds once in a while when shifting into 3rd gear.
-The side mirror is missing a screw.
-It has a minor leak(power steering), but not so bad that it need to refill anything.

The most important things is the transmission grinds and the leaks.
I offered him 2k. He’s thinking about it. What do you guys think of $2500?

oh, and it will be in garage for at least half a yr before i ride out. Gotta fix everything first. It will be a project car for me.

I’ve never had a 300ZX, but they look really hot :slight_smile: They look somewhat like a miniture Ferrari, IMO.

[quote]getbig wrote:
Ok, I talked to him and it has 182000 miles on it. And has mandrel bent cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers. 5spds.

Problems of the car:
-it needs some bodywork like dents and dings.
-The front bumper is cracked, but i am planning to get a bodykit for it anyway.
-A new paint job.
-The power antenna doesnt work.
-Needs a new shaft.
-The backup lights do not turn on when in reverse.
-There is a rubber mount in the rear end that is missing that makes a little clunk noise when shifting sometimes
-The transmission grinds once in a while when shifting into 3rd gear.
-The side mirror is missing a screw.
-It has a minor leak(power steering), but not so bad that it need to refill anything.

The most important things is the transmission grinds and the leaks.
I offered him 2k. He’s thinking about it. What do you guys think of $2500?

oh, and it will be in garage for at least half a yr before i ride out. Gotta fix everything first. It will be a project car for me.[/quote]

Forget it and find another car. The Tranny Synchros are going out. You will propably need a new clutch, Brakes, bodywork and most importantly of all given the cars mileage it needs the timing belt changed asap. The 300ZX engine is full interference so you’ll loose the engine if it breaks.

The thing about the 300ZX 90-96 is that it’s a very expensive car to maintain and keep. You will not find cheap parts for this puppy, remember that you’re dealing with a car that cost about 35K in 1990 with some Twin Turbo models going for over 50K back in the day. Like i said not cheap. Same thing with the paint, if you want OEM quality you’ll need to spend 3-5K, then the suspension componenets of this car need replacing also, and rest assured that shocks and springs are not all there’s to it, it’s a pretty complex setup.

I suggest you find a good 300zx for about 10-15K and go from there. As you will spend that much and more on this one to get it up to par. Those cars also look good only when in mint condition, a Z in any other shape is a sad affair. Shame on him for letting it go.

BTW: Did you know that the headlight from the 300zx is bought from Nissan By Lamorghini for their cars? Nice to know we share parts with 250,000 cars.

My brother had a 1994 (I think) TWIN turbo, black on black leather.

Wow that thing was a real head turner. Real popular with the female species. But when it needed work, it NEEDED work. He spent the budget of a small country on that car. Example: Needed a fuel injector $50 part-cost to drop the engine down because the frame was overtop the injectors $750.

BTW, its real popular with theives too.

jaystyles

I think its a gorgeous car. My neigbhor has one: cream with tan seats, in gorgeous condition BUT the prick leaves it outside during the winter and puts the Land Rover in the garage. Moron.

It pains me to see it covered in snow and ice, ya know?

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
I think its a gorgeous car. My neigbhor has one: cream with tan seats, in gorgeous condition BUT the prick leaves it outside during the winter and puts the Land Rover in the garage. Moron.

It pains me to see it covered in snow and ice, ya know?[/quote]

Cringe, the pain, the pain.

[quote]jaystyles wrote:
My brother had a 1994 (I think) TWIN turbo, black on black leather.

Wow that thing was a real head turner. Real popular with the female species. But when it needed work, it NEEDED work. He spent the budget of a small country on that car. Example: Needed a fuel injector $50 part-cost to drop the engine down because the frame was overtop the injectors $750.

BTW, its real popular with theives too.

jaystyles[/quote]

That’s the drawback. There’s so much Engineering under the hood that it’s impossible to work on one part without having to disassemble another part to get to it. On the upside you can work on it yourself because the car has a very intuitive layout, so why while intimidating at first it’s actualy easy to work on once you get the hang of it, but then again that goes for anything.

I’d skip this deal due to the possible transmission nightmare and high cost of repairs. I assume this is an NA 300zx and not a turbo?

Come check out our car club: www.rev-motorsports.com