300lb DB Row!

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
josh86 wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
And this is in the BodyBuilding section…why?

Why shouldn’t it be? Its a video of a good lift being done by a beast of a man with a physique that probably 99% of people on here would strive toward. I’ll take this over another “I weigh 100lbs but don’t have abs, what can I do to get abs?” threads.

Oh, I thought he was one of those “powerlifters”[/quote]

He also happens to be featured in ads for a supplement company that usually only promotes bodybuilding, ya know why ? because he has a physique thats damn near good enough to be on stage with the big boys.

And he puts most of them to shame in the weight room.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
josh86 wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
And this is in the BodyBuilding section…why?

Why shouldn’t it be? Its a video of a good lift being done by a beast of a man with a physique that probably 99% of people on here would strive toward. I’ll take this over another “I weigh 100lbs but don’t have abs, what can I do to get abs?” threads.

Oh, I thought he was one of those “powerlifters”

He also happens to be featured in ads for a supplement company that usually only promotes bodybuilding, ya know why ? because he has a physique thats damn near good enough to be on stage with the big boys.

And he puts most of them to shame in the weight room.
[/quote]

Yea, I was just fuckin around.

Actually im friends with him on facebook. And on one of his photos somebody asks…

“Matt do you plan to compete someday?.”

He sais “I have done one bodybuilding show back in '96 and lately a lot of people have been encouraging me to give it another run since I’m carrying a lot more muscle now. I definitely think about it but it’s a matter of fitting it in without derailing my powerlifting career.”

So who knows, we might see Matt Kroc enter back into the bodybuilding world.

The reason I posted the other video is because there was a comment saying that some of his reps are fairly clean, when in fact, they aren’t! Does this matter much for Matt? NO! Because he gets results from what he does. Many other greats have used loose form with success too.

People are allowed to comment on form! Is there anything negative about saying, “his form is very loose”. No, there isn’t. Ronnie used loose form. Dorian didn’t. Both were Mr. Olympias.

I don’t discredit the work of a world-class powerlifter because his form is loose.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
The reason I posted the other video is because there was a comment saying that some of his reps are fairly clean, when in fact, they aren’t! Does this matter much for Matt? NO! Because he gets results from what he does. Many other greats have used loose form with success too.

People are allowed to comment on form! Is there anything negative about saying, “his form is very loose”. No, there isn’t. Ronnie used loose form. Dorian didn’t. Both were Mr. Olympias.

I don’t discredit the work of a world-class powerlifter because his form is loose. [/quote]

But Ronnie had a better back.

(Oh shit what have I done?!?!?!)

Sick lift, Matt is an ox! He cuts weight like a man too, I hear he can cut 35 pounds without Lasix, and put it back on before the meet. Dude has brass balls.

-Sab

Thats not that bad of reps IMO, yes he uses some legs but for 300 thats pretty good.

they’re called Kroc rows because he popularized doing heavy as fuck rows with high reps as assistance for deadlifts. I believe. the dude is fucking awesome.

Brick, you wouldn’t be able to lift a 300lbs dumbbell with the form you’re advocating. The size of it makes it very awkward to lift. Could he use stricter form? Yep, but it would still be unlikely to be picture perfect.

And yea you’re allowed to comment on form, but understand that Matt’s rowing form have been beaten to death by a zillion of retards on for example youtube and it’s getting old. I bet not a single one of these form police guys thought about asking Matt why his rows look like they do. Heaven forbid they’d actually learn something…

I recall something similar about Freddi Smulter, a Finnish bencher who recently became the IPF world champion. He put up some videos on a forum where he was doing barbell rows, and his form looked like a cross between a shrug and a seizure. When confronted about this he replied that he’s done a lot of conventional rows in the past but he found this way of doing them to help his bench more.

Lesson to be learned: Athletes of this level practically always do things for a good reason even if it doesn’t look like you’d expect it to.

Ross Enamait wrote a good rant about this on his blog: The Form Police - RossTraining.com

Here’s a clip of Matt talking about rows: EliteFTS.com - Matt Kroczaleski on Kroc Rows - YouTube

It’s amazing how every big guy I see uses a little body english to hoist up some big weight. I think they may be on to something here.

300lb DB row is fucking sick.

Isn’t it funny how all these big guys have “bad” form, and smaller guys have perfect form.

Hold on, maybe I’m onto something here… :wink:

[quote]Matsa wrote:
Here’s a clip of Matt talking about rows: EliteFTS.com - Matt Kroczaleski on Kroc Rows - YouTube

You know, the point of that isn’t really rows. The point is, find out what works for you; keep track of your training so you can figure out what works. If you listen, he talks about how he had a whole shitload of logs. He talks about writing down all his training leading up to a meet for the last 3 years. He looked back at his logs and determined that the rows really helped him.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Matt is a cool guy, a collegue of mine, smart as hell, and one of the strongest humans to ever walk the planet. He would be good at anything he set his mind to. I have no doubt that, if it doesn’t tear his humerus from his shoulder first, we’ll see a 400 lb db row from him sometime in the future.[/quote]

You see his cooler everywhere so :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Sabastian525 wrote:
Sick lift, Matt is an ox! He cuts weight like a man too, I hear he can cut 35 pounds without Lasix, and put it back on before the meet. Dude has brass balls.

-Sab[/quote]

He explains it there :slight_smile:

He is an animal lol

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I still don’t understand why they’re called Kroc rows. It looks like every other sort of loose dumbbell row form.

Yes, the man is an accomplished lifter with dedication and physical ability that nearly all of the population doesn’t have and never will have; however, that is NOT clean form; his elbow barely reaches past his torso during the set. If this works for him, hats off! That sort of loose rowing has worked for many men, but it hasn’t worked for me in building mass in my upper back. [/quote]

Here he explains the difference.

Basically he uses really high rep 20-30 rep to help his deadlift lockout with extreme weight obviously LOL, and it was Jim Wendler that came up with the name it just stuck with him.

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
I still don’t understand why they’re called Kroc rows. It looks like every other sort of loose dumbbell row form.

Yes, the man is an accomplished lifter with dedication and physical ability that nearly all of the population doesn’t have and never will have; however, that is NOT clean form; his elbow barely reaches past his torso during the set. If this works for him, hats off! That sort of loose rowing has worked for many men, but it hasn’t worked for me in building mass in my upper back.

Basically he uses really high rep 20-30 rep to help his deadlift lockout with extreme weight obviously LOL, and it was Jim Wendler that came up with the name it just stuck with him.
[/quote]

He doesn’t do really high reps all the time. He just tries to lift as heavy as he can.

BTW I’ve been using db rows also and my grip strength has improved considerably.

He only started doing high reps because he maxed out the DBs at his gym lol.

[quote]Matsa wrote:
Brick, you wouldn’t be able to lift a 300lbs dumbbell with the form you’re advocating. The size of it makes it very awkward to lift. Could he use stricter form? Yep, but it would still be unlikely to be picture perfect.

And yea you’re allowed to comment on form, but understand that Matt’s rowing form have been beaten to death by a zillion of retards on for example youtube and it’s getting old. I bet not a single one of these form police guys thought about asking Matt why his rows look like they do. Heaven forbid they’d actually learn something…

I recall something similar about Freddi Smulter, a Finnish bencher who recently became the IPF world champion. He put up some videos on a forum where he was doing barbell rows, and his form looked like a cross between a shrug and a seizure. When confronted about this he replied that he’s done a lot of conventional rows in the past but he found this way of doing them to help his bench more.

Lesson to be learned: Athletes of this level practically always do things for a good reason even if it doesn’t look like you’d expect it to.

Ross Enamait wrote a good rant about this on his blog: The Form Police - RossTraining.com

I did not realize it had been beaten to death. I posted a comment on it in another thread. I have seen guys throw the weight up like him and have very little to show for it. For every person it works well for, there is another it does nothing for, unless he plans to compete in an event that tests that kind of DB row.
For instance, I know someone who used to row the 140’s for 8-10 like that, who could not bench 315 or probably even 300. That seems like quite an imbalance. I have also heard of “big” guys doing 200 lbs on db rows. The only other lift they were proud of was their leg press. See a connection here.

Kroc is a beast. I doubt he’ll do competitive bodybuilding, but that doesn’t even matter. His physique is damn impressive as is.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
Matsa wrote:

You know, the point of that isn’t really rows. The point is, find out what works for you; keep track of your training so you can figure out what works. If you listen, he talks about how he had a whole shitload of logs. He talks about writing down all his training leading up to a meet for the last 3 years. He looked back at his logs and determined that the rows really helped him.

[/quote]

You’re correct, and that’s just it, he found a correlation between his rows and his deadlift. He’s doing those rows for a specific reason and what he’s doing is giving him exactly the results that he seeks. That was the entire point I was trying to make.

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:

[/quote]

That’s an interesting interview, thanks!

the only thing that i have to laugh about all the form people is that they are commenting on the form of the guy who the damn exercise was named after in the first place… the way i look at it, however he does it is the “right” way, at least for “kroc” rows…