T Nation

300 Routine: High Rep=Hypertrophy?

The trainer Mark Twight used a high rep training, hole bodyworkouts to get these “warriors” in shape. Reps from 25-50 total reps for each exercise - with a strict diet. And these guys looked pretty MUSCULAR and lean if you ask me - and that by doing such a high rep routine (with diet). Normally doing high reps isn’t exactly known for hypertrophy? What you guys think

Most of those guys probably got newbie gains and were on steroids or other supplements. Whatever.

Aren’t you bigger than most of them anyway? Not one guy in the movie has a bigger back than I do. I’m 21 and 172 lbs…so just sayin’…

read this

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35

Not to take away from these guys accomplishments, but the guys that had a lot of muscle mass (relative to the other actors) were already carrying that much before the movie. They just had to cut a bit to look more muscular.

A bunch of the other guys just looked rail thin to me.

I think the lighting and putting mascara on their abs (a la Maria Carey) had a lot to do with what we saw.

The guy that I found to be the most impressive was the guy beating on the kid in the intro.

10x3 training is still 30 reps. 5x5 is still 25 reps. High reps is a bigggggg range of Set x Rep variations and it’s common knowledge, at least I’d hope, that knocking out singles isn’t the best for gaining size,

I wrote this in another thread regarding the 300 workout. It seems Mark’s workout didn’t give Butler the total package;

“Five weeks before the cameras were to roll, Butler took on extra sessions with a Venezuelan bodybuilder named Franco LiCastro in order to exaggerate the physique he was after. “I wanted to look really strong,” says Butler. “I’ve seen so many actors play these kinds of roles, and you see all this equipment on either a big belly or skinny little arms.” It worked in more ways than one: On-screen, the bearded actor lords over the battlefield like testosterone incarnate, with the steely gaze, cobblestone abs, and broad, chiseled shoulders you suspect one would need to command 300 men to their slaughter.”

This is from the article in latest Men’s Health about Gerard Butler.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Aren’t you bigger than most of them anyway? Not one guy in the movie has a bigger back than I do. I’m 21 and 172 lbs[/quote]

Your right, not one guy, more than one guy had a bigger back than you.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
it’s common knowledge, at least I’d hope, that knocking out singles isn’t the best for gaining size,[/quote]

I’ve heard guy’s like Dave Tate say the same thing…

Here is an example of his high volume program. Seems like his training philosophy is high rep training, with low intensity - to shred fat:

300
25x Pull-up +
50x Deadlift @ 135# +
50x Push-up +
50x Box Jump @ 24? box +
50x Floor Wiper @ 135# (one-count) +
50x KB Clean and Press @ 36# (KB must touch floor between reps) +
25x Pull-up
300 reps total

While the actors definitely were “in shape” abs wise, their “size” wasn’t that impressive all. As the previous poster said, not to take away from their achievement and the movie was absolutely great. If fat-loss or size is what you are looking for then it is my humble opinion that there are a lot of much more effective program’s on this site, then threw the posted overly-hyped 300 workouts.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
Aren’t you bigger than most of them anyway? Not one guy in the movie has a bigger back than I do. I’m 21 and 172 lbs

Your right, not one guy, more than one guy had a bigger back than you.[/quote]

Haven’t seen me lately.

How many fucking threads do we have to have about this goddamn movie?

Stop jerking off to the fuckin thing and go work out.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
How many fucking threads do we have to have about this goddamn movie?

Stop jerking off to the fuckin thing and go work out.[/quote]

Ex-fucken-actly.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
How many fucking threads do we have to have about this goddamn movie?

Stop jerking off to the fuckin thing and go work out.[/quote]

Well said.

I didnt think they were THAT big or chiseled. The biggest guy was that zombie type freak for the persians haha.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
How many fucking threads do we have to have about this goddamn movie?

Stop jerking off to the fuckin thing and go work out.[/quote]

Ha! I agree.

I think they the trainers have done a pretty good job, look at before and after picture

http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/2007/03/300-workout-transformation.html

[quote]mikeynorth wrote:
Here is an example of his high volume program. Seems like his training philosophy is high rep training, with low intensity - to shred fat:

300
25x Pull-up +
50x Deadlift @ 135# +
50x Push-up +
50x Box Jump @ 24? box +
50x Floor Wiper @ 135# (one-count) +
50x KB Clean and Press @ 36# (KB must touch floor between reps) +
25x Pull-up
300 reps total

[/quote]
That wasn’t part of the normal training program, it’s a test of strength, endurance and will.

I thought it was common knowledge that being lean makes one look bigger on screen. Look at talk about guys like Brad Pitt or Van Damme, neither of whom would look like much if you met them in person.

How many times have we seen someone 5? 9? 185 lbs with low body fat post a picture and everyone says he?s ?jacked? but someone 6? 4? 235 lbs posts a picture and people say ?you don?t look so big?? In real life standing next to them, the 6?4? guy would be an imposing presence and the short guy not.

The 300 workout is geared to get the actors looking lean and athletic in a short period of time.

[quote]GreenMountains wrote:
The 300 workout is geared to get the actors looking lean and athletic in a short period of time.
[/quote]

Isn’t this what most people are after? I know I am.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
GreenMountains wrote:
The 300 workout is geared to get the actors looking lean and athletic in a short period of time.

Isn’t this what most people are after? I know I am.[/quote]

Your profile says you’ve been training for 6 years. If you do not look like the actors (or better) you need to really examine whether you are training intently and eating properly.

There is no reason anyone training regularly and eating right should not look like the guys in that movie.