300 Review

Troy doesnt deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Gladiator and Braveheart. Troy is so very UN-manly that it sucks testosterone out of you as you watch.

[quote]N. Robinson wrote:
Also did anyone else catch the preview for that viking and native american movie. That looked pretty sweet as well.[/quote]

I thought it was sweet too until I saw the feature(300) which blew away whatever that flick may have been. Pathfinder it was called. Viking masks were pretty bad-ass.

[quote]Sneaky weasel wrote:
I would say that fully half of the film takes place in slo-mo. This is okay, however, because it allows the viewer to better appreciate the fine cinematic detail that goes into depicting someone being stabbed in the face. And there is a lot of face-stabbing. [/quote]

I’m going to see it tonight, but I just want to say one thing. That is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. Regardless if you meant it to be funny or not, the way I read it: pure. comic. genius.

Just the opening sequence showcasing Leonidas’ childhood made Hector vs. Achilles look like Sylvia vs. Arlovski III. When he was getting crowned, I’m pretty sure even the 14 year old Leonidas would have lolliwhopped Brad Pitt.

300 was like taking the combined highlights of every non-firearm war movie, turning up the volume, bass, gain, brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation, and looping it for 2.5 hours. I will definitely be going to this year’s Halloween engagements as Xerxes (I look a lot like him).

[quote]spiderman739 wrote:
Troy doesnt deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Gladiator and Braveheart. Troy is so very UN-manly that it sucks testosterone out of you as you watch.[/quote]

How did Troy become so unmanly? It’s taken word for word from the greatest war story ever told… I must be missing something here.

[quote]MANONFYA wrote:
“this will not be quick. you will not enjoy it, and i am not your queen”!!! most bad ass scene by a female in a long time.[/quote]

Boo ya!!! Awesome-est quote of the movie.

BTW I loved it. It was just a great Greek fighting movie.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
spiderman739 wrote:
Troy doesnt deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Gladiator and Braveheart. Troy is so very UN-manly that it sucks testosterone out of you as you watch.

How did Troy become so unmanly? It’s taken word for word from the greatest war story ever told… I must be missing something here.[/quote]

Not even close I’ve read the Illiad it adds tons of stuff in the beginning, there is no god influence (hephestas creates Achilles armor) Achilles doesn’t die niether does Ajax. I could go on but that movie was a metrosexual movie trying to be a t-man film, It failed bad

[quote]superpimp wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
spiderman739 wrote:

How did Troy become so unmanly? It’s taken word for word from the greatest war story ever told… I must be missing something here.

Not even close I’ve read the Illiad it adds tons of stuff in the beginning, there is no god influence (hephestas creates Achilles armor) Achilles doesn’t die niether does Ajax. I could go on but that movie was a metrosexual movie trying to be a t-man film, It failed bad
[/quote]

I’m not going to get into why I disagree, other than the fact that to make it a human story (like it was) you need to ditch the fanciful stories of the gods.

Whatever.

I thought it was awesome. I’m not the type to watch a movie twice really unless its that good and especially not while its in theaters, but damn I am definitely considering watching it again soon so I can catch all the action again. Personally, my all time favorite now.

Speaking of strong Spartan women with muscles, damn, check out the new pic of Gina Aliotti!!

I thought the movie was kickass. The cinematography and action was damn good. The actors played the roles their roles to greatness. It revolves around only a few main characters and one plot…unlike most movies now, where there are 20 different characters and 10 different subplots.

Anyway, I do no rank it above Gladiator or Braveheart, but will put it at the same level as far as entertainment value…and psych up value.

If will not win any “g^y” awards, but it will be a meathead/t-man movie for a long, long time.

SP

ps…I may be biased, b/c of my greek heritage…and I may be jealous for all those damn abs

[quote]spiderman739 wrote:
Troy doesnt deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Gladiator and Braveheart. Troy is so very UN-manly that it sucks testosterone out of you as you watch.[/quote]

Agreed.

How did Troy become so unmanly? [/quote]

Brad Pitt and the dude that played Legolas.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

How did Troy become so unmanly?

Brad Pitt and the dude that played Legolas.[/quote]

Say what you will. Brad Pitt’s the fucking man, and a damn good actor.

Just came back from the theatre…which was sold out for a 12:30pm showing. What a great movie. Not for the fainthearted that’s for sure. This movie is oozing Testosterone so I am sure a lot of people will hate it.

You just have to admire 300 guys fighting against those odds…unbelievable.

Zap Branigan wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Say what you will. Brad Pitt’s the fucking man, and a damn good actor. [/quote]

Although I agree that Orlando Bloom is kind of a bitch, I’ve never really understood why some people seem to hate on Brad Pitt. Is it because he comes off as a pretty boy? How some find it annoying that most Average Joe’s train for his Fight Club “physique”? Because he got to choose between Angelina and Jennifer whereas most of you only get to choose between whether or not you want to shoot into a sock or a tissue before E! goes to a commercial break?

While he’s not the BEST actor out there, he certainly has made some good movies - Fight Club, Snatch, Oceans 11, 12, (13?), Se7en…and I don’t think he did that bad in Troy, either. Besides, Eric Bana was pretty awesome in it.

Anyhow, 300 was a very solid movie, but to compare it to Gladiator? Give me a fucking break.

[quote]conner wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Say what you will. Brad Pitt’s the fucking man, and a damn good actor.

Although I agree that Orlando Bloom is kind of a bitch, I’ve never really understood why some people seem to hate on Brad Pitt. Is it because he comes off as a pretty boy? How some find it annoying that most Average Joe’s train for his Fight Club “physique”? Because he got to choose between Angelina and Jennifer whereas most of you only get to choose between whether or not you want to shoot into a sock or a tissue before E! goes to a commercial break?

While he’s not the BEST actor out there, he certainly has made some good movies - Fight Club, Snatch, Oceans 11, 12, (13?), Se7en…and I don’t think he did that bad in Troy, either. Besides, Eric Bana was pretty awesome in it.

Anyhow, 300 was a very solid movie, but to compare it to Gladiator? Give me a fucking break.[/quote]

Nice post. Exactly how I feel.

I don’t care that most jerkoffs want his physique- the motherfucker is an actor, and he does a damn good job.

Gladiator, Braveheart, and Troy still kick this movie’s ass though.[/quote]

I can respect Gladiator and Braveheart, but Troy??!!

mike

I’ve already seen 300 twice, and it was just as good the second time. The characters are great, the battle scenes are incredible, and the film is shot very well overall. Some of the plot points get in the way a bit, strange as that may seem, but overall 300 may be my new favorite movie. Leonidas is possibly the most intense screen character ever.

Saw it yesterday at a jam-packed matinee showing. Overall, a VERY good film. The fight scenes were some of the best choreographed I have seen in a long time, and I personally liked the in-and-out of slow motion thing.

Frankly, the only thing I thought the film was lacking was one more good fight scene. Perhaps a better last stand would have made things a touch more palatable.

I enjoyed the comic book feel of it. I think that was partly what made Sin City such a good film. You have to sell these movies based on the source material, which in this case was a graphic novel. Historically accurate? Maybe not entirely. Entertaining as hell? Absolutely. It took what could have potentially been some very dry source material and spiced it up for the masses. Nothing wrong with that.

My ranking of this particular genre: Braveheart is still #1, followed by Gladiator at #2. This film is now #3 on my list, followed by Troy, which had some nicely choreographed fight scenes as well. In a DISTANT #5 and #6 are Kingdom of Heaven and Alexander, respectively. Those of you who are bagging on Troy for being homo-erotic and test-draining have clearly never suffered through that Oliver Stone disaster.