300 lbs Strict Military Press

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
Just a casual lunch break lol…[/quote]

It was kind of a random PR… usually on my lunch break I will just do a quick workout with a bunch of super-sets and relatively light stuff.

Damnnnn Lol that was awesome dude

[quote]print wrote:
One word. IMPRESSIVE![/quote]

[quote]SergeantQ wrote:
Good lift![/quote]

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Fucking aces bro…this is a goal of mine as well…ummmm 75 lbs to go lol.[/quote]

[quote]Dr J wrote:
That’s a hell of a lunch break! Nice work.[/quote]

Thank you!

Wow. Very nice lift!

y u make it look so ez damn u

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
Wow you made that look easy! That wasn’t a slow shaky rep you blasted it up lol. Would you mind sharing the routine that worked best for you?[/quote]

I do not really follow a specific routine, I incorporate a lot of variation (equipment, exercises, rep ranges) and typically train to failure unless I am using bands or not feeling 100%.

A couple of years ago I tried 5/3/1 for Strict Press and it seemed to work fairly well for a few weeks although I eventually burnt out on it. I also did a run of HCT-12 last year and had good results with that program but dropped it in favor of more direct strongman work since I had a couple of contests coming up at the time.

[quote]jjsmooth15 wrote:
Wow you got that easily - very nice job! And to think that I was proud of myself for push pressing 235 lol (shakes head/orders more Indigo 3G) :)[/quote]

Thank you.

how did u get to 300? where were your plateaus ?

Also how often do you push press or do you only do strict press with regards to your barbell training?

Ive been stuck at 225 x 5 strict press for a while have gotten 275 push press a few times
need new ancillary work try get past plateau

How much do you normally weigh? I know you participate in strongman events, so what other overhead variations do you do in training and have done in competition? Would you mind posting some of your bests?

I wish my lunch breaks were this awesome. I’ll be there soon too, only 135lbs more to go! Lol if I’m lucky maybe in 3-4 years.

[quote]Pweedith wrote:
Powerful lift bro. Still in the early stages of being really serious about my lifting so I’m off that by about 120# but someday…

Idk if you have these posted somewhere else but if you don’t mind I’m kinda curious about what kind of numbers you’re putting up for your other lifts?[/quote]

There are a good number of videos on YouTube if you just type in my last name (Mutaffis). I also keep a training journal on another website and have my own blog website - but cannot link to either of those here.

Some general gym lifts include:

• 655 lbs x 2 Deadlift (no suit)
  • 375 lbs Push Jerk / Push Press
  • 440 lbs x 5 and 505 lbs x 1 Front Squat
  • 160 lbs DB’s x 7 reps Incline
  • BW + 100 lbs x 5 Pull-Up’s

Videos of all of these are posted on YouTube.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Very nice work dude…but you know you can’t post that video without spilling some of your training details, philosophies, mindsets, etc.! Sooooooo lets have it![/quote]

I have written a couple of articles which can be found via Google, but most of my recent training has been instinctive and just doing what I can when I can (past 3-4 years).

In general I include a lot of variation in my training, do not follow a specific template or program, and typically train to failure unless I am using bands on gym lifts or working with strongman implements. With my gym lifts I typically like to perform drop sets and super sets when I can.

This is probably not very helpful - but if you are interested in specifics I can discuss some of the things that have worked for me in the past. I have been training for about 14 years and have tried a number of different methods / programs.

I’m interested in hearing what has worked for you in the past.

[quote]t-man200 wrote:
how did u get to 300? where were your plateaus ?

Also how often do you push press or do you only do strict press with regards to your barbell training?

Ive been stuck at 225 x 5 strict press for a while have gotten 275 push press a few times
need new ancillary work try get past plateau [/quote]

I have not done strict press or push press consistently, I tend to mix things up between incline/push/strict/push jerk and also change up the implements (axle/bar/dumbbells/log).

My progression has not been too impressive - I hit 265 lbs x 3 strict about 18 months ago but am not sure that I could hit 300 then (tried it once and missed it). A couple of weeks prior to this lift that I posted I hit 270 lbs x 4 so I was pretty confident that 300 would go.

If you are stuck then I would change things up with your routine with regard to rep ranges and exercise selection. You may also want to try some variations such as pin presses (partials) or maybe even some work with bands.

Good work sir!

I have about 120lbs to go…

tweet

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
How much do you normally weigh? I know you participate in strongman events, so what other overhead variations do you do in training and have done in competition? Would you mind posting some of your bests?[/quote]

I am normally between 220-235 lbs depending on how closely I watch my diet and if I am training for a contest or not.

In strongman you will typically see axle clean and press, log clean and press, and dumbbell clean and press. Some events will also have other odd objects such as kegs, blocks, or stones.

Some of my PR’s in other lifts include:

375 lbs Axle Push Press / Push Jerk, and 310 lbs x 5 (clean once)
355 lbs Log Clean & Press and 280 lbs Log for 7 (clean each) in 60 seconds. I also did a 220 lbs log for 19 reps (clean once) in 60 seconds in a contest.
185 lbs Dumbbell Clean & Press

Videos of all of these lifts are on YouTube.

very impressive!

nicely done!

Serious strength.

How much stronger would cammo shorts make me?