30 Yr Olds Don't Need Blood Work!

It was as if my question about getting blood work done to check hormone levels was unheard of and laughable.

He said, maybe if I were 70 or his age, he might consider it.

I went there mostly for the bad acid reflux I’ve had, that’s gotten worse, and got blood work and an EKG done for that.

I guess next time I make an appointment, I should make it specifically for decreased libido, depression, irritability and fatigue. Maybe throw in weak erections for good measure to see if he gets the point that blood work might be a good idea.

I just hope he doesn’t try to give me some dick-hardening prescription instead. :-/

What a bastard.

I had my blood work done a couple weeks ago. I asked if she could check my testosterone levels and other hormones but she said it was unnecessary unless I had problems getting it up.

I’m losing my faith in doctors. It seems like the U.S is at the top when it comes to quick acute problems such as heart attacks and etc. When it comes to more chronic issues, they don’t seem to know shit.

Got back pain? Take this pill
Can’t get that up? Take this pill
Can’t sleep? Take this pill
Hurt your what?

MM

It’s such a pain in the ass to find someone who will actually listen, and maybe consider looking into something a patient brings up.

Shit, It’s not like I said, hey can I get some steroids? I just wanted a blood test to see where I stand with testosterone and estrogen levels.

Just found a place that charges $229 for a “comprehensive male panel” with no apointment or doctor order required.

http://www.anylabtestnow.com/Tests/Male_Tests.aspx

It’s not very far from my house either. Would be nice to have insurance pay for it instead of me though. :-/

Damn! Just saw the price for “Male health profile”…$699.

$79 for testosterone only, free and total.

Time to find a new doc…

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Time to find a new doc…[/quote]

This is the first appointment I’ve had in over 6 years.

This trial and error method to find a doctor is a pain.

I can look up another doctor on the website my insurance company gave me, and run into the same problem.

Going from doctor to doctor, transferring my medical record, and filling out more new patient information for each one.

[quote]SWR wrote:
Rhino Jockey wrote:
Time to find a new doc…

I can look up another doctor on the website my insurance company gave me, and run into the same problem.

Going from doctor to doctor, transferring my medical record, and filling out more new patient information for each one.[/quote]

That is how life works unless you can get a referral from a friend that knows what you have in mind. I asked for a blood panel once and my doc gave me a strange look, I told him I wouldn’t need anymore service from them if they wouldn’t cooperate with me. She finally did.

[quote]SWR wrote:
Rhino Jockey wrote:
Time to find a new doc…

Going from doctor to doctor, transferring my medical record, and filling out more new patient information for each one.[/quote]

Can’t you just look for a small business or health center that focus’s on doing hormone panels and HRT?

There’s seriously like 3 places 30 mins from my house that you can go to, get blood work done, have the doctor there review your blood work, and get on HRT if needed.

Doesn’t seem too effective to just go to your family doc or w/e and try to get prescribed testosterone, it’s just very unlikely.

I got my blood work done here on campus two weeks ago for about 120 bucks. They did a cell count, profile, thyroid, and testosterone. All came back “within limits” so I’m feeling good about that. I had it done because I have been feeling really run down lately, no energy.

The doc wants to give me prozac though. Weird.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Can’t you just look for a small business or health center that focus’s on doing hormone panels and HRT?

There’s seriously like 3 places 30 mins from my house that you can go to, get blood work done, have the doctor there review your blood work, and get on HRT if needed.

Doesn’t seem too effective to just go to your family doc or w/e and try to get prescribed testosterone, it’s just very unlikely.[/quote]

Yea, I know of a few places. It’s just hard to have to pay out of pocket for something like that when I’m paying $120 a month for insurance for my wife and I. I guess it would be worth it if they found anything wrong, and I took it to my doctor and then it lead to some kind of treatment, but it would be expensive to just find out that I might be average, or low/average.

I’m thinking it would be cheaper if I bought Alpha Male and wait to see if I feel any significant difference.

If I feel nothing or little difference, I guess my hormone levels are okay. If I feel a noticeable difference, I guess I was on the low side.

Get a new doctor. If you went to a restaurant and ordered the steak from the waiter and he brought you a goddamn salad you wouldn’t go back, would you?

He’s there to serve you. If you want blood work you should get blood work. He’s not there to hand out prescriptions like pez and do every unnecessary procedure for every hypochondriac but he is there to serve you and your concerns, and blood work is a fair concern.

[quote]SWR wrote:

$79 for testosterone only, free and total.[/quote]

I got charged $85 to check my Testosterone total and free, E2, lutenizing hormone, and several blood factors related to iron (low hemoglobin runs in my family). Sounds like your doc sucks.

[quote]Xab wrote:
SWR wrote:

$79 for testosterone only, free and total.

I got charged $85 to check my Testosterone total and free, E2, lutenizing hormone, and several blood factors related to iron (low hemoglobin runs in my family). Sounds like your doc sucks. [/quote]

Yea, I guess when I call to ask if a certain physician is accepting new patients, I will also ask them:

“If a patient comes to you with 6-7 out of 10 known symptoms of low testosterone levels from a questionnaire, do you think it would be unheard of to at least have a blood test to check for hormone levels if the patient is only 30 years old?”

I mean, why pay for health insurance if I have to go out and pay for my own blood work when I’m experiencing symptoms of something?

Do you really have heatlh problems? Is your goal to get a prescription for test?

Why not just tell them you just got off cycle?

I talked to my doctor about getting tests done just to establish a base line for later. He thought it was a good idea. Perhaps the OP could try that. In fact, I am going this afternoon to arrange my tests.

To anyone: I am assuming I want all the possible numbers, not just total T, correct?

[quote]SWR wrote:
It was as if my question about getting blood work done to check hormone levels was unheard of and laughable.

He said, maybe if I were 70 or his age, he might consider it.

I went there mostly for the bad acid reflux I’ve had, that’s gotten worse, and got blood work and an EKG done for that.

I guess next time I make an appointment, I should make it specifically for decreased libido, depression, irritability and fatigue. Maybe throw in weak erections for good measure to see if he gets the point that blood work might be a good idea.

I just hope he doesn’t try to give me some dick-hardening prescription instead. :-/[/quote]

You need to find a new woman. It will clear your problem right up.