T Nation

30 y/o with Low T

-height : 5' 10"
-weight : 264
-describe body and facial hair :
-Normal facial hair, fairly hairy chest and little back hair
-describe where you carry fat and how changed :
-Most body fat carried around the midsection and thighs. A little bit of fat under the nipples and towards the armpits
-health conditions, symptoms [history] :
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever
-- real dangers! see this http://propeciahelp.com/overvi...
-No Rx drugs, ratinadine occasionally for heartburn. No hair loss or prostate drugs
-lab results with ranges :
-Initial results from 12/16/14 (Doctor was reluctant to test for low T stating 30 year olds don't have low testosterone):
-Comp. Metabolic Panel
Glucose, Serum : 92 mg/dL (65-99)
BUN : 12 mg/dL (6-20)
Creatinine, Serum : 1.21 mg/dL (0.76-1.27)
eGFR If NonAfrican Am : 80 mL/min/1.73 (>59)
BUN/Creatinine Ratio : 10 (8-19)
Sodium, Serum : 142 mmol/L (134-144)
Potassium, Serum : 4.2 mmol/L (3.5-5.2)
Chloride, Serum : 97 mmol/L (97-108)
Carbon Dioxide, Total : 26 mmol/L (18-29)
Calcium, Serum : 905 mg/dL (8.7-10.2)
Protein, Total, Serum : 6.7 g/dL (6.0-8.5)
Albumin, Serum : 4.9 g/dL (3.5-5.5)
Globulin, Total : 1.8 g/dL (1.5-4.5)
A/G Ratio : 2.7 (1.1-2.5)
Bilirubin, Total : 0.4 mg/dL (0.0-1.2)
Alkaline Phosphatase, S : 66 IU/L (39-117)
AST (SGOT) : 28 IU/L (0-40)
ALT (SGPT) : 56 IU/L (0-44)

Testosterone, Serum : 171 ng/dL (348-1197)
Free Testosterone(Direct) : 6.4 pg/mL (8.7-25.1

TSH : 1.100 uIU/mL (0.450-4.500)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy : 18.5 ng/dL (30.0-100.0)

-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets] :
-Mon-Fri : bag of cereal when I get to work, cup of vanilla greek yogurt w/ granola mid morning, ham & cheese sandwich w/ regular sun chips at lunch, pack of peanut butter crackers mid afternoon. Dinner is usually some sort or chicken, pork or steak w/ some type of starch. No vegetables (have never liked them since I was a kid) rarely any fruits. Occasionally a salad (lettuce and some cheese w/ italian dressing)
-Weekends: free for all, usually eating out
-describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training] :
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? :
-Very occasionally ache, never with a fever
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed :
-Still have morning wood, not as "strong" as it used to be.
-general Issues
-Low libido, fatigue, decreased energy, brain fog, mood changes, irritability, reduced muscle mass, more body fat around belly, lack of productivity, mild depression

I went for more blood work this morning but I don't know what tests my doctor ordered. He wants me to see an endocrinologist (my assumption is he has minimal experience with low T based on his comment when I told him my concerns and wanted to be tested). I will post those results when I get them back.

I guess my main concern now is what the best treatment option for me would be. From the little research I have done since Monday night I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to use a gel (fear of transference to my wife) and I don't want a patch as my body may not absorb the amount it needs. It seems that TRT injections would be my best option but we don't have any kids yet and I have seen some mention of infertility issues with this.

Overall I'm here to absorb as much information as I can to help get me back to normal. I look forward to any and all information and help you guys give me!

Start by reading the stickies, specifically the thyroid sticky. Take morning temps, and afternoon temps, chart for 5 days. Should hit around 97.8 in the morning and 98.6 in the afternoon.

What is your iodine intake like? (read thyroid sticky on importance of iodine)

You def. should have FSH and LH done before starting TRT and also more thyroid tests to rule out any possible thryoid problems causing low T.

TSH looks pretty good but, TSH is very misleading. Start by reading stickies, charting temps and getting more indepth labs and posting them here.