30-10-30 - Working Wonders

Hi xforce56,

Good you are on your way!

Based on my experience, it takes a couple of sessions to find the right weights. Keep careful notes on progress. If possible/available, I recommend starting out on machines (you did have access to Actic/Nautilus gyms, didn’t you?). It’s easier to obtain a good form that way, as the leverage in the machines are more even. This also means simplicity in keeping tempo and evaluating progress.

Suggestions: Nothing wrong with cable bench, but I wonder if you get the right leverage? I would go for benchpress machine. Furthermore, I would change the wide grip pulldown, for supinated shoulder wide pulldowns. Then you can train shoulders instead of biceps. Shift pushdown for dips (make an exception: negative 60 sec dips, not 30-10-30).

== Scott==
I can’t imagine doing a chin after doing a 30 second negative chin much less 8 or 10 chins in between the two negatives , ha ha! I might as well be working on benching 500.

2 Likes

I’m assuming that you guys training with these different rep cadence protocols are seeing increased muscle growth i.e. growth in excess of what you have achieved with “regular reps”?

In short: Yes I have. See my other posts.

So how are you “quantifying” these gains?

e.g
bw increases at same bf level?
chest/arms/legs “x” inches larger?

1 Like

Beginning to use 30—30 with clients but still can’t get my head around 1 sec up, 2 sec down. For me I can approach a semblance of smoothness but too close to ballistic for my liking. So my clients, who are used to at least 5-5 or slower I’m taking one of the two following approaches:

1. I start the second negative after approx 35-45 sec of middle reps asking them to perhaps move a little faster but still maintaining great form or

2. With same advice for speed on middle reps, asking them to tell me when they’re at 1 or 2 reps short of failire and then beginning the last negative

It turns out the middle reps usually fall between 3 and 7.

How important is it to get additional contractions in middle reps? I have personally tried zone training or stutter reps in middle to achieve a greater number of contractions.

Note to above. Majority of my clients are Senior’s.

1 Like

What I do is move the weight under control during the positive phase not fast or explosive and not slow either, I pause for about a second before beginning the negative phase of the 10 reps and control the weight on the way down

So with that method. What are the typical number of middle reps and total time for the full set? Please and Thanks! :slight_smile:

Seeing actual muscle growth is something I’m sure many of us have a hard time actually realizing. Sometimes the weights go up or the reps go up but are your muscles really increasing in size or is body fat different or is it just wishful thinking? At times I’ve measured body parts and at the time the tape shows they are slightly bigger but did they just get pumped up more or is there some other reason they are bigger at the moment? I find actual muscle size gain hard to prove.

1 Like

I aim for 12 reps, I stick with the same weight until I get 12…i don’t time the whole set so I don’t know how long the set is…i count the seconds of the two negatives in my head as I don’t have a partner and the clock in the gym does not have a second hand

1 Like

I have an INBody device… so I will report back… am currently on a leaning out phase, but hoping that once I get to maintenance I can put on some muscle while maintaining same # of fat lbs

Maybe with seniors and those struggling with a one second positive (personally it hasn’t been a problem) , you should utilise 30-30-30 rather than 30-10-30 ?

Mark

1 Like

How many weeks does your training be exclusively 30-10-30, before you cycle off to another training protocol?

It has always been my weight training philosophy that if you ever find the very best training routine and incorporate that routine, that after three weeks, the very best training routine is one that you are not doing.

2 Likes

I’m working now on the time period: 4, 5, or 6 weeks?

More later.

4 Likes

Test of bioimpedance. A hint of the reality, but shows direction.

== Scott==
I think I saw that device on the XFiles Fallen Angle episode , ha ha !

1 Like

Isn’t bioimpedance usually used to.estinate %bf?

If all these rep time variations aren’t producing larger muscles what’s the point other than variety?

It measures both fat and muscle.

Test of bioimpedance. A hint of the reality, but shows direction.

It is my experience that bio-impedance testing has much variation. The amount of water in you body affects the reading. So, you would need to try to have the same level of hydration whenever you bio-impedance tested. This would be your best guess. Upon waking might be the most consistent level of hydration.

Also, you might check your gauge for “repeatability.” That is, do the measurement three to five times and make note of the variation. Are all the results close to one another? The more measurement variation you have, the less confidence you have for any reading. Know the limitations of your gauge.