30-10-30 with Bodyweight Dips or Hammer Strength?

Well first off I guess it’s worth saying that I do virtually all my upper body work on rings, so for someone who’s not used them before it might not work until they’re used to the movement (even folks who are strong on regular dips or with barbell/dumbell bench will find the total lack of stability weird at first). Basically I start in top position hold (i.e. arms locked straight, palms turned out fully) & then do a 30 second negative so I finish off with my hands at armpit level, I then do the 10 ‘normal’ reps with a controlled negative so I’m not flopping around and ensure full lockout on each one by turning palms out at the top, then finally after the 10th rep I then finish off with another 30 sec negative. To progress I just add a weight - I’ve not done this for a while (though this thread has motivated me to do so again!) but I think the most I’ve managed with the full 30-10-30 is +8kg. The final 30 seconds will make you hate life for sure!

That is impressive! Rings supposedly add more to this than regular dips. Wow!

I meant reg pulldowns aka underhand. I know I feel stronger with neutral. Just wondering if you think one has more mass and strength benefits, even slightly. I know understand works biceps more, but for some reason I feel stronger with neutral. Any thoughts on if neutral grip would be good for a cycle?
Side note. I finally benched 315 at almost 47 years old. Probably would have been impossible if it wasn’t for trt replacement. Looking to add Possibly a final 10 solid pounds if I can. Back problems stopped me from Deadlift even tb Deadlift. I can do squats, but the more intensely I do them, the quicker my back gives out. On leg press, I still can’t go to failure cause believe it or not, even in leg press, before I get to real growth producing reps, my back aches bad. So I do a lighter squat for reps of 3 to 5, or heavier singles. My back can just handle that. Ah. To be back in my 20s lol. But I’m doing what I can, and appreciate everyone on here. Good guys, to say the least.
Today is , Possibly Overhead press, a type of pulldown, and heavy single squats. Wish me luck.

Ok now I get it…regular pull downs to me is the overhand grip…I prefer the underhand grip and once in awhile I will do close grip pull downs with a parallel grip

My preferred lat exercise is the nautilus pullover…I just love the stretch and the pause at contraction

But then again I am not going for mass as I am 57…and looking to stay strong and get as fit as I can

Yea I apologize. Reg grip to me meant underhand lol. Oh… wish we had a pullover machine! At least I can do dumbell pullovers. I’m on a more consolidated plan. When I started about 9 months ago, maybe 8, I was 201, now I’m 247. Thank God for trt. Ok, brother have a good day.

Doesn’t that put the shoulder joint under a lot of load, using an extreme range of motion?

Ha cheers! Pretty pedestrian compared to a proper gymnast though.

1 Like

Not in my experience, but I’ve been using rings for years so perhaps my shoulders have just got used to this. One huge benefit of rings is that you’re never locked into a fixed plane of motion, so this reduces a lot of strain.

I haven’t tried Hammer dip station, but I generally prefer machines over the free weight. Dips have always been very awkward movement for me (irrespective of the technique used: straight/common version, Gironda version, Larry Scott version etc.) and I never gained anything from dips except for should pain. By the way, negative dips never built strength for me. But this is how I am built. On the contrary, I like good machines and thank them for a minor growth I am able to achieve after 30+ years of training. I would suggest trying both and making a choice or alternating them.

1 Like

It will depend on 1) how strong you are and 2) how lean you are. If you are lacking in either, then start with the machine. The fact that you ask this question, tells me you’d be better starting with the machine — if only to see where you’re at performance-wise! Remember, this is NOT supposed to be an all-out failure effort; it’s supposed to be one of several exercises performed in quick succession. Challenging, but not to failure.

1 Like

Back in the early 2000s, I used a seated Hammer dip machine primarily designed to hit the triceps. I didn’t like the feel of it. I tried it on multiple occasions. I did get good results with regular bar dips (hit chest and tris well for me), but avoid those today as I minimize risk with certain exercises as I turn 50 next year (yikes!). I do bench dips from time to time…sometimes as a finisher or superset with triceps pushdowns.

50 yikes ! Hell, wait until you’re 69 , ha ha !
Scott

1 Like

Where has the time gone, Scott? I think we are a few of the originals of the Darden site closing in on 20 years ago?

Yes, there’s you , Average Al , NW lifter , Jeff , Matt and one or two others which I can’t remember at the moment. Maybe some changed their user name? I do know that if you guys weren’t on here I’d really feel lost.
Scott

1 Like

My username hasn’t changed that much! It’s simon"_"hecubus instead of a “-” like it used to be…
Other Scott

On the Darden forum my username was hit4me

1 Like

Ah yes, I remember hitforme. It’s to bad Turpin left. I wonder what he’d think of T Nation?
Scott

Like I said I couldn’t remember everyone at the moment I was writing the post. I do remember you! It does seem that those of us from the earlier forum don’t post as much these days but even during those days of the old forum posts were dwindling as what’s left to be said after talking about this stuff for nearly 20 years? Most of what I was interested in hearing had been said over and over again .
Scott

Thread hijacked by posts reserved for “Missing the Old Darden Forum “? Very disappointing, there were great discussions about the hammer dip machines lol

Well excuse me for saying something about things besides dips. I wasn’t trying to “ hijack ‘ anything , just responding to what was said. If this dips topic was so all important just keep it going with another dips post.
Has there ever been a thread on here that stuck completely to the original topic all the way through from beginning to end ?
Scott