30-10-30 vs Extreme 30-10-30 - Similar Gains?

If you are training to momentary muscle failure within a certain amount of time the specific repetition cadence you use makes little or no difference to the effectiveness of the exercise, only to the safety (slower is better). There is no evidence that there is any special combination of rep cadence, range, etc. that is going to give you any better results in the long run than just plain old strict repetitions performed at a controlled speed. No secrets, no shortcuts, no “weird tricks” that are going to cause you to suddenly start gaining muscle any more quickly than have been if you are already working hard, progressively, and consistently and giving your body adequate nutrition and rest to support recovery and growth.

1 Like

But from a time-beneficial point of view there seems to be some scientific edidence in favor for HIT-procedure re muscle hypertrophy? Remember a review mentioning that Arthur Jones was right.

To your great experience @DrewBaye - Is there any study with standardized groups done on a significant number of trainees - comparing apples and pears (HIT vs HVT)?

I was talking about HIT methods, not HIT vs conventional strength training methods.

1 Like

I completely agree with this. It also explains why so many still produce great results using different speeds, etc. Inroad is the real key.

West Point Experiment compared hit(nautilus) to conventional weight training the football team was doing. It was definitely more volume, though i dont know if it would classify as hvt.

1 Like

This is a toughie.
I read through many of these replies.
Each body is vastly complex and different in so many respects that generalizations might not serve. What has served me since I started down this Darden path in 1987 is to meditate and know my body. Over the years I’ve trained my inner knowing to hear my body and do what it says. My body knows my intent/goals and responds with information that has very much served me over the years.

For me, I LOVE the 3 times a week workout.
The 30-10-30 has been the best thing I’ve yet discovered, and strangely enough, through my intuitive training over the years, I was mostly doing the same thing before I found that book last month. But Darden has some good points that I am now following with great results.

I hate taking pictures of myself, but now I regret that before and after information.

The one thing that Darden expresses that I now implement religiously is the posing.
Makes sense and I feel the differences.

The few things that don’t work for me are the lack of calves and abs finishing every workout. I keep doing intense calves and abs after every workout.

As for the failure part of the 3 workouts a week, it feels pretty much to me that I’m coming VERY close to failure on that last negative, which is why I feel that I’ve getting the best gains of my life.

What I enjoy is that my workout is only 20 minutes!
I do NOT stop between sets, except to walk very fast to the next machine. This keeps my enthusiasm high. My workout burnout is not showing up, like it usually does.
It’s a gym hit-n-run.
Car to car in and out with a peepee stop and two hand washings is about 29 minutes in total.

I would coach you to feel it out.
Try kinesiology for that body feedback.

There’s one more thing that I’d like to impart.
What has really assisted me to keep the intensity high in the gym is to sprint up a mountain, running as fast as possible straight up the steepest hill I can find until I drop. I do that once a week during a hike. This crazy anaerobic stress really assists to push myself in the gym for a more intense workout.

2 Likes