30-10-30 Program

The new article about 30-10-30 negative training was used to help high school athletes get stronger, yet the article also said, “A lack of vigorous activities on your non-training days, especially during the first two weeks, is an important aspect of explosive growth.” I’m not sure how to interpret this, since if I only went to the gym to lift weights once a week (as the article seems to imply) at home I’d still want to do about a half hour of martial arts, yoga, and body weight exercises in the morning.

I saw “14 pounds in 14 days” and moved on.

1 Like

Can’t talk for anyone else. But I tend to be leary of a author whom has been making a living being a Chaplin of the holy church of saint Author Jones for decades. Considering this same person wrote a article defending the merits of the infamous Colorado experiment.

3 Likes

It’s an idea I can’t get behind even though it’s supposed to be the most grueling set you’ve ever done (I have his new book). Dr. Darden has his philosophy and he finds ways to “prove” it works. Not a fan myself, but if someone tries it I’d love to see the results.

1 Like

I always picture Clint Darden when I see articles by Dr. Darden ppp up, ha.

Are you guys aware of the Intensity that these HIT guys use in training?

It takes days and days to recover from their all-out, extreme sets. Even Arnold pussed out and couldn’t train to Failure enough for HIT.

2 Likes

I tried the workouts from “the new hit” a few years ago. The set I can remember off the top of my head was a 245# squat for 22 reps I think.

I want to like the HIT principles, but I think they played to my weaknesses that I already had. Being unfit and already doing starting strength I just didn’t have enough gas in the tank for upper body lifts after the lower body stuff in full body workouts. I was smoked after trying to reach the “momentary muscular failure” he advocated.

I was going to try the 30-10-30 workout on Saturday in addition to the 5/week 20 set bro split I’ve been doing. Why not?

Credit to Darden he has a lot of transformations of normal people on his site and in his books. Mostly of fat loss though. I mean he’s helping some people in Gainesville not die early, so there’s that.

1 Like

Tried the 30-10-30 scheme as a finisher for barbell OHP on shoulders this morning. I overestimated at 95lbs and only got 16 seconds on the final decent. It was difficult, but nothing you actual athletes couldn’t handle.

I’m sure the explosive growth will start soon. Then again Mercury is in retrograde and I’m an Aries. So the ghost of Arthur Jones can’t bless me with gains right now.

3 Likes

Hopefully it’s not too explosive. Wouldn’t want your shoulder meat flying across the room.

4 Likes

Finally get to move my clavicles.

3 Likes

I don’t suppose you ever saw the SNL skit in which a power lifter tries to break the world dead life record and accidentally rips his own arms off. The next line was “Oh, that’s got to be disappointing for the big Russian.”

3 Likes

I’ll have to look that up.

Chest 30 second negatives were no problem on both bench and dips. They were challenging and I couldn’t do as many reps afterwards. But that’s kind of the point, stressing the muscle fibers.

But 30 second smooth controlled negatives on squats… those were tough this morning. Make 225 great again.

My only issue is the claimed results.
14 lbs in 14 days of actual muscle. In reality putting on that much actual body weight in that amount of time isn’t magical. Ask any athlete whom has had to drop weight to make a weight class.
One year one of my son’s was up 10 lbs a week after the end of his wrestling season.

1 Like

Love that skit ! I believe it was called the all drug Olympics.

2 Likes

Yes it’s pretty easy to see how lowered training volume (especially if these teens were training 3 or 4 times a week with a more typical routine), increased carb intake, creatine and a high water intake could account for the scale increase even without lifting a weight.

2 Likes

Yeah you could put someone on a keto type diet for several weeks before . Than turn around and dump a ton of carbs in and boom.

My weight fluctuates 5 or 6lb from morning to evening on a normal day!

1 Like

Just checked it out, that’s a great skit.

1 Like
2 Likes