30-10-30: No Rest Before the 10 Reps?

Focus on your exercise form. When you can do all three phases perfectly, increase the resistance by 3-5 percent.

1 Like

really great, thanks!

Is this also the case when i pick a weight and hit 15 + reps?

Doing 30/10/ 30 in chins / pullups is like when Jones gave the advice that :

" … when you can squat 400 X 20 , over head press 1 1/2 times your body weight for 12 reps and curl the same , you’ll be as big as you’re going to get ."

It’s a goal to shoot for … but something most of us will never achieve.

Has anyone here progressed to pressing 1 1/2 X your bodyweight … even once ? An incredible achievement if you have !

Nope…my personal records was 465 squat for 6, 155 seated shoulder press for 3, 135 barbell curl for 1…was in my mid 20s and no great achievement…and that was before I heard about nautilus or Jones…i was doing a six day split back then like arnold

== Scott==
Hmmmm? I’m thinking I’ll look at it this way, I have a long way to go to get as big as I’m going to get ! Ha ha!! Curl 1 1/2 times my body weight for 12 reps?? The hulk might do that .

I don’t remember Jones saying to shoot for 1.5 times your body weight for 12 reps in doing the overhead press and curl. I do remember him saying that doing a a standing barbell curl with 180 pounds for 10 reps, and your arms will be at their maximum size.

1 Like

I do remember reading that quote from Jones but lent so much training stuff out over the years and never got them back that I can’t look for that exact article of Arthurs where he said that .

But I did locate it in Leistner’s Steele Tip where Dr. Ken says Jones once told him that his arms would as big as they would get when he could curl two hundred for twelve , his shoulders as developed as possible when he could do twelve perfect reps with one and a half times his bodyweight, squat 400 for twenty and stiff legged deadlift the same for thirty.

This is in Steele Tip Volume 2 , #3 on page two of another of Dr. Ken’s great articles titled

“Simple Progression” ; first article in Vol 2, #3 , March 1986

I knew I read it somewhere as I’d never think of coming up with goals like that myself .

But I’ll tell you what, LOL … I was certainly dumb enough to pursue them for WAY too long !!

== Scott==
I’m wondering how many if any bodybuilders or worlds strongest men guys can actually strict curl 180 for 10 reps? I know of a few who Could possibly throw it up like those old pictures of Arnold curling a huge weight.

As strength standards go, those seem to be at the very far end of the performance spectrum.

Pressing body weight overhead for one rep is a bench mark that relatively few people achieve. Young athletic men blessed with great arm and shoulder strength can get to that point, or more. But even those guys would struggle with 1.5 times body weight for 12 reps.

Vasily Alekseyev was able to clean and overhead press something like 500 lbs while it was still a contested Olympic lift. But that was for a single rep, and he was a super heavy weight, who competed at body weights up to 350 lbs. So even he wasn’t doing 1.5 times body weight.

Back to this 30 10 30 stuff, what speed of the “ regular “ reps are you guys finding work best for you? 2 up 4 down or what? To some people regular reps are pretty fast 1-1 and some very slow. It seems to make a big difference if I go pretty fast vrs really slow. If I go fairly fast the 30 second part seems too easy?
Scott

1 Like

I can’t imagine going at 1-1 speed on a Nautilus (or my Bohicalus) Pullover! Talk about ballistic! I continue to experiment. For example, on the standing barbell behind neck press, I tried 30-10-30 then switched to 25-10-25 and found that I will consume 25 seconds at 6 or 7 reps at the “10” part but progress continues in the movement with that protocol. In today’s workout, I will add a “30-10-30” experiment on standing calf raises to how this might work out (pun intended!).

1 Like

So bohic what cadence did you actually use if 1-1 was too ballistic ? I can’t compute that by how many seconds the set took?
Scott

Scott,

I’ve just been focusing on smooth turnarounds and it seems to work out to about 2-2 or 2-4. I’m not really thinking about the time but rather the turnaround and keeping tension on the muscle.

David

1 Like

What I found interesting is that before trying 30 10 30 I was usually doing 2 sets of Nautilus tricep extensions and pullovers to failure. I hardly ever got sore doing those but when I tried one set of 30 10 30 my triceps were sore the next day! It seemed my 2 sets of roughly 20 reps were much harder than the 30 10 30. Maybe it was because it was something new or the 30 seconds part of the routine digs deeper?

Scott

I use 1/2 or 2/3 or 2/4…i make sure under control, no jerking or explosive movements

Scott,

You were sore because you made a deeper inroad in your triceps with 30-10-30.

Knowing how hard I would push it with my usual 2 sets of 15 to failure it’s quite amazing how 30 10 30 , which seemed not as intense , dug a deeper inroad! That’s saying something!!
Scott

1-1 is certainly ballistic on a movement like a Nautilus (or on my version of this machine I call the Bohicalus) Pullover because of the number of degrees of rotation, which for me, is some 240 degrees or so. The 30-10-30 protocol on my Bohicalus Machine is just perfect. But in the case of say the standing barbell press-behind-the neck, I use a 25-10-25 protocol since the movement is shorter in distance, axis rotation, and in time. But nevertheless, in this movement, and others like the standing barbell curl, the “10” part is problematic since I consume 25 seconds often doing just 6 to 7 reps. But the impact on the targeted muscle is certainly evident. I tried a 25-10-25 protocol on standing calf raises today and I did 15 reps in the “10” part in order to make it to 25 seconds or so. In short, I try and maintain the same number of degrees of rotation in most exercises. Consider 1-1 in the pullover - 240 degrees in one second! Is that not ballistic?

Eccentric contractions are known to produce greater levels of DOMS than concentric contractions. So I wonder if a longer duration under eccentric load isn’t also a factor?