T Nation

3 Weeks Out, Tore Oblique

Things have been coming together nicely in preparation for my first powerlifting meet in 25 years. I’ve been training pretty religiously all these years doing general powerbuilding training so I have maintained good shape. Started to go heavy about 6 weeks ago and just started using a power belt in the big 3.

The other day when coming up from a squat I felt my belt pinch the bottom of my rib cage then wham! I felt my oblique muscle tear. I suspect there was something amiss with the belt. It seemed that the suspicious pressure of the belt on my rib cage has something to do with it. Perhaps the changing pressure of the belt on my core pinched and then released during the ascent affecting the contraction of my oblique causing it to snap…not sure. Like a dumbass I did another set but tried to tense my core less and this eased the pain, but seems counterproductive in good squat technique. I think I need to wear the belt lower on the torso or get 3 inch belt vs the 4 inch. I even remember back in the day a 4 inch belt gave me problems—seemed like too much belt.I’m thinking about competing sans belt or even using a comical bodybuilding-type belt. Or maybe I need more ab work. Then again, if this thing doesnt heal in time, my comeback plans are foiled.

47 years old. 198 lbs, 5-11"

I dont understand the attraction of belts.

I have never worn a belt, when i did try using a belt it did not help me move more weight or make me feel more stable.

A belt appears to be for teaching someone to use thier abs.

[quote]Field wrote:

I have never worn a belt, when i did try using a belt it did not help me move more weight or make me feel more stable.

A belt appears to be for teaching someone to use thier abs.[/quote]

You didnt use it right then

Set it a notch loose and breath into your belly to put as much pressure as possible against the belt

Works for me at least, it should help move more weight but not a really large amount.

[quote]Field wrote:

Jesus christ what has this forum become?

Jesus fucking Christ.

People are far too materialistic when it comes to training. It’s a fucking girdle around your WAIST. Of course it’s going to give your core more support. It can’t teach your muscles something. A fast car surely doesn’t teach an obese person how to achieve faster speeds whilst running.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
A fast car surely doesn’t teach an obese person how to achieve faster speeds whilst running.[/quote]

you haz no proof

People are far too materialistic when it comes to training. It’s a fucking girdle around your WAIST. Of course it’s going to give your core more support. [/quote]

hmm.

does propping an arch up with a support make the arch stronger?

sometimes things can be tricky…

Did you go see a doctor? Having a torn muscle lying around isn’t smart.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Field wrote:

Jesus christ what has this forum become?[/quote]

A bunch of guys who don’t compete telling those who do compete that they are dumb for using equipment allowed in competition.

Yeah, if it doesnt seem to start getting better, a visit to the doctor will be in order. PlainPat’s idea of setting it a notch looser then breathing into the belt might be the trick. Modulate the use of the equipment to fit individual need. Early on in my lifting life I trained with a cohort that believed the belt must be pulled tighter than bull’s ass…so I went with it.

[quote]Field wrote:

How much help do you need to squat 315?

People are far too materialistic when it comes to training. It’s a fucking girdle around your WAIST. Of course it’s going to give your core more support. It can’t teach your muscles something. A fast car surely doesn’t teach an obese person how to achieve faster speeds whilst running.[/quote]

Satan!..felt like I had to balance out the Jesus Christs’.

That sucks OP but its great that you’re making the effort to compete again. I wish you the best.

Thanks, man.

[quote]Field wrote:

I don’t understand how you have both never worn a belt AND used a belt.

I feel as though your understanding of the word “never” is flawed.

Belts are awesome, I struggled with two shitty belts for the last few years and finally got a proper belt. I wish I ponied up earlier for 10 mm leather belt

seems like most of the strong people use them:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/belts_3?id=3176492&pageNo=0