T Nation

3 Testosterone Lab Results

I've not been feeling great lately. Like the past few years lately. I've been searching for an answer. My Testosterone was tested via saliva(mail kit called NeuroScience) and came back low so I went to see the Dr. about it.

I'm 25 years old, 12-14%BF, over 6' and 165lbs (and decreasing for some reason). I exercise when I'm feeling well 5-6 days a week but I've been sick a lot in the past couple years.

Between the second and third test I went all out thinking it would help. I worked way less moving into much much cheaper housing. I slept 7-8 hours a night. I ate better than most people. No fast food, no trans fats, I cooked all of my meals, I ate plenty of saturated and monounsaturated fats, good amount of protein and plenty of complex carbs. I stopped smoking and drinking besides a few a week. Also lots of cruciferous vegetables and took plastic out of all food preparation and storage in my life. I have been eating almost all organic and free range etc.

What the frak man. I can't believe the results are so similar in the next one.

I have a lot of thick hair that is falling out. My body hair is there but not thick or anything. I have most on my legs and it has thinned out a lot. My facial hair seems fine. I carry most my weight in my stomach and thighs. I don't have any health history and I take no medication. I don't know my parents history and can't find out. I did have a bad parasite giardia once. I used to drink a lot a few days a week. I smoked cigarettes socially for years. I used to have raging morning wood. It went away for a long time maybe a couple years, now it comes a day or two a weeks strong. Otherwise my wang is much softer than before.

What I've been feeling started off a couple years ago as never ending semi anxiety and turned into just being tired all the time and not really wanting to do a whole lot. My memory is really terrible. My hair is falling out, my skin was unbelievably dry for a year or more but now is getting better. I was really cold all the time, temp 97.5 but I mean I would wear a hoody in the sun. I think I'm better with this too. Sex drive was great at first the past 6 months or more it's gotten much worse. I gained about 15-20 pounds up until winter and then lost it all suddenly because I got sick. I lost mostly fat, my BF is much lower at 13% than it was at 18% before losing the weight. My mid section went down especially. I've been training an average of 3 days a week the past few years taking everything into account. Mostly weights with some cardio at certain periods. I've made this the main focus in my life because I thought it would help me to feel better. Overall I feel a good bit below normal and I'm willing to do literally anything to get back to baseline or above.

7/8/2009	

Hormones (saliva)
Estradiol 0.8 - (.1-3.2 pg/ml)
Progesterone 0.046 - (.03-.06 ng/ml)
Testosterone, Free 52.9 - (60-125 pg/ml)
DHT 20.9 - (10-50 pg/ml)
DHEA 413.5 - (100-1200 pg/ml)
Cortisol (A.M.) 7.9 - (8-15 ng/ml)

4/22/2010

Hormones
Testosterone, Free 49.1 (46-224)
Testosterone, Total 483 (250-1100)
Testosterone, Bioavailable 105.3 (110-575)
SHBG 45 (7-49)
FSH 1.7 (1.6-8)
LH 3.1 (1.5-9.3)
Cortisol (A.M.) 17.3 - (4-22)
Cortisol (P.M.) 8 - (3-17)
Growth Hormone 0.1 - (less than 10)
ACTH, Plasma 25 - (7-50)
Albumin, Serum 4.7 (3.6-5.1)
Prolactin 6.6 (2-18)

2/25/2011

Hormones
Testosterone, Free 71 (47-244)
Testosterone, Total 538 (300-1080)
SHBG 60 (11-80)
Testosterone, Percent Free 1.3 (1.6-2.9)
Prostate Specific AG 0.49 (.01-4)

I've had 4 CBC blood tests in the past 5 years June 2005, Jan 09, Dec 09, to December 2010. It is a clear progression in numbers from earliest to last unless otherwise noted.

Cholesterol 126- 152
Triglycerides 60, 36, 46, 65
HDL 50, 58, 71, 52
LDL 64-87

TSH 2005=2.70 2009=2.69 2010=1.57
No T3 or T4 data

Iodized salt was introduced not long before the 2010 test. Before that, I cooked most of my food and didn't add much salt. Still don't very much. I don't eat much seafood either.

I guess I handle it well outwardly inwardly I really don't know but probably okay not great or terrible. 5 out of 10. 1 is lunatic and 10 is presidential composure.

Read the advice for new guys sticky then use the [edit] in the lower RH corner of your post above and make the changes.

Do not test GH. It is released in pulses and has a short half life. Test IGF-1.

The half-life of ACTH in human blood is about ten minutes. Levels will be normally changing thus the specific lab result is of limited value.

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the sticky and made a bunch of changes.

TSH, T3, T4 data?
Cholesterol data?

Your symptoms are very consistent with low thyroid levels.
Do you have iodine in your vitamins?
Using iodized salt?
Eating sea food, seaweed?

How do you react to stress? major stress events?

You gave a changing degree of secondary hypogonadism.
Suspect elevated serum E2 levels, as an explanation for elevated SHBG and low FT.

Thanks for responding, I added some more info to the original post.

You have to be iodine deficient. Find an iodine supplement.
Is your thyroid gland enlarged?
You have the symptoms and iodine deficiency is a cause or a contributor.

Your cholesterol numbers have been way too low and still are. Numbers of 160 and lower are associated with increased all-cause mortality. All of your steroid hormones are derived from cholesterol.

How can I tell if the thyroid is enlarged? It is where the neck meets the body right? In either case I am ordering some seaweed or something right now.

I learned about the cholesterol thing probably in 2008 or 2009. I started eating much more saturated fats rather than avoiding them. I slowly worked my way to butter, egg, cheese, liver and fatty meats and stopped taking fish oil. It is probably why my numbers have been slowly increasing. What else could I do? Slow thyroid usually leads to MORE cholesterol, which I do not understand. Also, an hour or 2 before my last CBC I had an egg bagel with cream cheese lol! I'm surprised my triglycerides and glucose were still "in range".

Also KSman, could you let me know what the most probable signs regarding the information above are? Whatever gave you the biggest clues? I have an appointment with a guy who is supposed to be a very good internist in a couple weeks and I'd like to bring my A game with me so I can get this shit FIXED, so what do you recommend I point out for him?

Hey anybody have some more opinions on what I've got going on?