T Nation

3 Seconds Off Sprint, How?

my names sam and im a sprinter i am good at it but this winter i want to knock 3 seconds off my time. do you know anyways i can do this? i started doing weights at the gym. do ou think that will help?

thanks sam

I dont know if you have tryed this yet. Being a sprinter you may have. But take an old tire and fix it to a harness and run sprints.

I used it in high school way back then. When I was a running back trying to shave some time off my 40. I ended up running a 4.5 from a 4.8. Got me the starting position.

give it a shot man. Good luck.

Knock 3 seconds off what? 100m?

I was wondering what distance as well, if hes good and running 100m he would be running at least 12 seconds plus so clearly not knocking off 3 seconds anytime soon.:slight_smile:

If its 200m time you need to look at a planned weight training, plyometrics, running, drill, various sprint intervals, try an athletics website.

Have you tried shortening the distance you have to run? Depending on how many yards/meters you skip, you can knock anywhere from three to all seconds off your time.

[quote]crazylegs89 wrote:
i started doing weights at the gym. do ou think that will help? [/quote]

As long as your routine doesn’t look like anything you could read about in a Fiction Fitness magazine, then yes, it can help. Nothing unusual from what you can read around here: big basic movements, done pretty heavy and pretty fast. I’d keep the overall volume low, to avoid an increase in weight (even LBM).

My first recommendation, though: Have someone (preferably a coach with years under their belt, but a fellow runner could help too) check your technique. I’ve heard of some dramatic improvements just by touching up running technique (coordinating the arm pump, posture, leg cycling, etc.) A videotape of you running towards the camera, as well as sideways, might be just as helpful as a strength training routine.

I don’t think anyone can give you an accurate answer until we know what event you are running, and how long you have been training for it.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Have you tried shortening the distance you have to run? Depending on how many yards/meters you skip, you can knock anywhere from three to all seconds off your time. [/quote]

ahahahah

I’m guessing your running a 400? If your talking about the 100M and needing to knock off 3 seconds…then your probably not that good!

I have heard that the only way to really increase your sprint time is to train sprints using parachutes. It is what a lot of football players use to make them so fast. Like the defensive linemen you hear about who are like 270lbs and run the 40 in less then 5 secs.

jumpusa.com/powerchute.htm

Might be worth a try.

Cmon dude, you still haven’t let us know which event you’re running. My guess is that it’s either the 200m or the 400m.

For the 200m dash
First you have to analyze your weak points in your sprinting. It boils down to analyzing:

1. Off the blocks technique
  2. Acceleration
  3. Breathing
  4. Keeping speed and accelerating through the turn
  5. Top speed
  6. Stride length and frequency
  7. Not letting up and sprinting through the entire race
  8. Sprinting Endurance

3 types of speed
Acceleration
Top Speed
Speed Endurance

The 200 in my opinion is one of the only races that all 3 types of speed are very critical. According to me (and I am not a coach, just a regular guy), I think that top speed is the most important aspect of a 200m race. Everybody’s different when it comes to running so that might cause debate.

To improve acceleration, coaches would prescribe these types of drills and exercises.

1. Various squats
    box squats
    power and olympic squats
  2. Deadlifts with a snatchgrip off of a box
  3. olympic lifts
  4. Hamstring exercises
    Glute ham raises
    SLDL
  5. Short sprints ( no more that 25-30 yards)
  6. Acceleration technique drills (have a track coach show you how to come off the blocks)
  7. Jumping drills
    Box jumps
    Depth jumps
    Long jumps
    Any kind of jumping!!!
    (jumping is a good form of plyometrics that will attribute to raw starting power)
    Of course there are more, but if you aren’t doing any of these and you want to improve, then do some of these exercises and drills. These are very effective and efficient exercises and drills to improve accelation.

To improve top speed

1. Stride length (should be long, and you should be comfortable with it)
  2. Flexibility (a lot of stretching will help you with stride length…stretching period will make you faster, you must be consistant with stretching and you MUST IMPROVE FLEXIBILITY)
  3. Overspeed Drills
    a. Long distance sprinting 60m-150m
    b.Downhill running (not a steep hill or you might get hurt badly, a soft decline is recomended.
    c. Some poeple might recomend a parachute (I never used it because my coach advised me not to)
    d. Tow a weighted sled (rope of somekind wrapped around your waist and the other end is tied to the sled.
  4. When training for top speed, you’ll need adequate rest between sets so you can recover. You want to be at full power every set you can hit top speed and try to maintain top speed for about 5-10 seconds. If you are too fatigued you won’t make progress in improving your top speed.

Improving Sprinting Endurance
Simple stuff here…rest between sets will be the opposite when training for sprinting endurance as to what I recomended for improving sprinting speed. You’ll simply take less rest between sets.

If you determine that sprinting endurance is a weakness you should plan your endurance workout simular to this example.
session 1-
100m sprint rest 2 min
5 sets
session 2-
same except rest 1 min 50 sec for 5 sets
session 3-
same except rest 1 min 40 sec for 5 sets

Keep repeating until you reach a minute and then build up another routine and progress with that one.

These are some tips for the 200. This is the only event I ran. The 400 is a different beast. Most of these concepts will apply to the 400 but since you can’t sprint the entire 400 meters, you actually have to strategize your race. What I do recall about great 400 runners are that they were bad ass and they could do nearly anything on the track and that they ran a lot of 800m in their training as well as a heap of 300m all out sprints for sets.

If you are serious do some of these things I mentioned. If you are just starting out, then start slow. If you are experienced then go balls out. If you are very very very serious, then seek a track coach. Either your school coach or a professional coach will help you out. Don’t be afraid to do some research either. There is good info online and there are some great books written on the subject.

Kir Dog

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! some of these responses hurt my eyes!!

run with a tire?!?!?

run with a parachute?!?!?!?

WTF???! learn something about sprinting before you spew crap.

besides, the original post doesn’t deserve any response other than

TUBE STEAK BOOGIE

because even the best advice aint gonna help…

[quote]wufwugy wrote:

run with a tire?!?!?

TUBE STEAK BOOGIE

because even the best advice aint gonna help…[/quote]

your response is totally useless. If you want to give advice go ahead. If all you are going to do is label everyone elses advice as bad without any reason, and give no help yourself then just keep quiet

[quote]TimmyC wrote:
wufwugy wrote:

run with a tire?!?!?

TUBE STEAK BOOGIE

your response is totally useless. If you want to give advice go ahead. If all you are going to do is label everyone elses advice as bad without any reason, and give no help yourself then just keep quiet

[/quote]

HAHA you got served son…dooo da loo doo da loo

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
TimmyC wrote:
wufwugy wrote:

run with a tire?!?!?

TUBE STEAK BOOGIE

[/quote]

hmmm, let’s see…

i called out two responses. one about running with a tire strapped to a harness strapped to yourself. this was purported to have dropped a 4.8 forty to 4.5 in highschool. anybody who knows anything about sprinting knows that running with the tire didn’t drop the time, at least directly, and that far more often than not sprinting with a tire attached will lower sprint times.

also called out the response relating to this site http://www.jumpusa.com/powerchute.htm uh, again, anybody who knows anything about sprinting knows that parachute sprinting is mostly useless and oftentimes will result in lowered sprint times.

ive explained on the Nation before why these are both dumb things to do. why would i explain again when the starter of the thread is not even engaged in discussion about the topic inwhich he’s seeking advice, and responders are giving ill-concluded anectodal evidence and links to advertisements that make stuff up about their product?

but, if you care, in a nutshell. sprinting while dragging a tire will slow you down enough to negatively alter sprint mechanics. this is bad. concluding that this was responsible for a .3 second drop in the forty in highschool is a conclusion with many holes. high school times are never accurate, never precise enough to rate progress because of basic method of timing and timer error. also, rating your individual progress via chosen method during adolescence will most likely result in false conclusion.

parachute sprinting is impractical. it’s difficult to get the parachute to resist properly. it’s very easy to alter sprinting mechanics negatively with ‘perfect’ parachute sprinting because it and it’s environment is so uncontrollable that the chute will go out of whack and your mechanics will follow. even without that, enough resistance and your mechanics will go out of whack despite the chute.

it’s good to know that my post was useless and i got served because neither of you know what you’re talking about.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
IL Cazzo wrote:
TimmyC wrote:
wufwugy wrote:

run with a tire?!?!?

TUBE STEAK BOOGIE

hmmm, let’s see…

i called out two responses. one about running with a tire strapped to a harness strapped to yourself. this was purported to have dropped a 4.8 forty to 4.5 in highschool. anybody who knows anything about sprinting knows that running with the tire didn’t drop the time, at least directly, and that far more often than not sprinting with a tire attached will lower sprint times.

also called out the response relating to this site http://www.jumpusa.com/powerchute.htm uh, again, anybody who knows anything about sprinting knows that parachute sprinting is mostly useless and oftentimes will result in lowered sprint times.

ive explained on the Nation before why these are both dumb things to do. why would i explain again when the starter of the thread is not even engaged in discussion about the topic inwhich he’s seeking advice, and responders are giving ill-concluded anectodal evidence and links to advertisements that make stuff up about their product?

but, if you care, in a nutshell. sprinting while dragging a tire will slow you down enough to negatively alter sprint mechanics. this is bad. concluding that this was responsible for a .3 second drop in the forty in highschool is a conclusion with many holes. high school times are never accurate, never precise enough to rate progress because of basic method of timing and timer error. also, rating your individual progress via chosen method during adolescence will most likely result in false conclusion.

parachute sprinting is impractical. it’s difficult to get the parachute to resist properly. it’s very easy to alter sprinting mechanics negatively with ‘perfect’ parachute sprinting because it and it’s environment is so uncontrollable that the chute will go out of whack and your mechanics will follow. even without that, enough resistance and your mechanics will go out of whack despite the chute.

it’s good to know that my post was useless and i got served because neither of you know what you’re talking about.[/quote]

He’s correct here guys, basically the best thing this kid can do is just keep sprinting. Add some overall muscle in the weight room and possibly throw in downhill sprints if you want to increase your nueral response.

Reverse bunge sprints are better than resistance bungees or parachutes. You are not trying to build strength when you are running, you are trying to maximize your CNS output. You get stronger in the weightroom.

V