3 Questions Related to 5/3/1 and Powerlifting

Hey Jim, I have three questions concerning this program and powerlifting in general…

1. When I am doing joker sets I do the percent jumps but you never go past your training max right?

2. I remember in a question you answered way back on 5/3/1 when someone asked something like “on my PR/rep record set should I stop at a certain number of reps?” You said “if you deadlift 700 20 times would you be unhappy?” This was a while ago. Just to clarify is there a certain rep number were we should stop or no?

3. I hear Dave Tate and Louie Simmons often talk about having a main lift, than having a supporting lift that makes the main lift go up, than having another move that makes the supporting lift go up. What do you think about this and adding it in 5/3/1?

[quote]bignkosher wrote:
Hey Jim, I have three questions concerning this program and powerlifting in general…

1. When I am doing joker sets I do the percent jumps but you never go past your training max right?

2. I remember in a question you answered way back on 5/3/1 when someone asked something like “on my PR/rep record set should I stop at a certain number of reps?” You said “if you deadlift 700 20 times would you be unhappy?” This was a while ago. Just to clarify is there a certain rep number were we should stop or no?

3. I hear Dave Tate and Louie Simmons often talk about having a main lift, than having a supporting lift that makes the main lift go up, than having another move that makes the supporting lift go up. What do you think about this and adding it in 5/3/1?[/quote]

I’m not Jim but I think I can answer some of your questions

1. You do the joker sets until your body tells you to stop. If you happen to go over your training max then so be it.

2. I think he recommends capping the reps at either 10, 8, or 5.

3. Can’t offer Jim’s opinion but I think it’s a sound idea.

3.) It’s not a bad idea. There is a template called SST or you could use the 5’s progression. For example:
Main=Deadlift 5/3/1
Supplement=Front Squat 5’s pro,
Assistance=GHR, abs

[quote]Roran wrote:
3.) It’s not a bad idea. There is a template called SST or you could use the 5’s progression. For example:
Main=Deadlift 5/3/1
Supplement=Front Squat 5’s pro,
Assistance=GHR, abs[/quote]

If you’re following the idea he proposed I think it would more be like:

(intending to increasing quad strength for DL)
Deadlift 5/3/1
front squat 5’s pro (quad dominant)
Assistance - Leg ext. or hack squats or leg press etc etc (all less taxing quad dominant exercises)

• abs

Honestly i feel that “having a supporting lift that makes the main lift go up, than having another move that makes the supporting lift go up.” is over kill. I think if you are using proper form and hitting the main lifts 3 times a week using the 5/3/1 template for each lift 1 of those days and backing of off the number of sets and poundages to concentrate on form and lift afford on the other days will provide enough “support” to make plenty of increases in strength on those lifts.

bmcinnis96: Yeah actually that makes more sense with OPs concerns

I think it is overkill at the beginner level, but can’t speak for advanced lifters like Dave Tate or Louie Simmons can.