3 or 4 Day Powerlifting/Bodybuilding Program?

I guess I am more right in this part of the t - nation forum as in 5/3/1 because I am searching for a routine which I can to 3 or 4 times a week.

Focus on the big 3 (4 with the press), a lot of trap work and other accessory for arms, delts etc.

I am not really good in programming but my lifts got quite up over the last years:
24 years with a BW of 78kg, 11% bf

1RM: This are my best numbers in competition in germany:
Bench Press 130kg
Deadlift: 205kg
Squats: 165kg
(Press 5x60kg)

Has anyone a proven routine which fixes my needs for me? I would also be very very thankfull for sb who is creating a routine or have one in the pocket. But I am thankful for every answer I get which helps me a bit :slight_smile:

Thanks folks! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m no expert but johnny canditoā€™s program is good you get a lot of varations and get to pick exercises that are for you. Progression is linear but it fits what you are looking for as long as you do the hypertrophy program.

1 Like

So many come to mine but what about Jim Wendlers ā€œbuilding the monolithā€?

1 Like

Building he monolith is good and he has another building a bigger yoke thatā€™s good focused on trap training accessory work.

1 Like

Thank you very much believer423!

I did BTM But Wendler saod that it isnā€™t a program for long-term, itā€™s a challenge. Or do you think sb can do it as general program?

@BOTSLAYER just put up a bunch
https://forums.t-nation.com/t/free-programs-raw-pling-bbing/241820/20

2 Likes

I actually dont think I have any 3 day programsā€¦I will make one i the next couple days.

All of them can be made 4 days thoughā€¦or 2 days.

So something like Squat, Bench Deadlift Rows Pullups on Mon and Fri and Cardio and Pump work on Wednesday for a 3 day.

1 Like

I donā€™t do math in public

1 Like

If BTM doesnā€™t fit, Iā€™ll second ā€œBuilding a Bigger Yokeā€. Really, most of Wendlers programs now are full body, with the strength element focused to one movement and, then, 25ā€“100 repetitions ( depending if itā€™s leader or anchor) of a push, a pull, and a single leg/core movement. So, youā€™ll have a preparatory phase and an intensification phase to finish off the program. I know CT is a big advocate of heavy loaded carrys which, of course, would hit your traps hard but, you could always do direct trap work with your pulls.

1 Like

@BOTSLAYER

This are my number (for a better understanding):

24 years, 174cm, 76Kg, Bf around 12%

1RM:
Bench 130kg
Squats 140kg
Deadlift 205kg (at the moment I stuck by 160-170kg)

I created this routine with a friend and my old powerlifting trainer. We used the Texas Method as general set up. I would really appreciate your opinion on this routine :slight_smile: !
(I want to gain strength, but building muscle is also important)

Volume - Day:
Squat 5x5, 1x8
Bench Press 5x5, 1x8
Close Grip Bench Press 3x5-8 (PAUSED)
One Arm Db Rows 4x8-10
(Seated Face Pulls, Triceps Pushdowns, Curls, Abwork / 3-4x)

Medium/Power - Day:
Frontsquats 3x5(-8)
Press 3x5(-8)
Bench Press 8x3 @70-75% (SPEED)
Chin Ups 3-4 Sets (MAX.)
(Back Extensions, Medial Delt Movement / 3-4x)

Intensity - Day:
Power Shrugs APRE 10/6
Squats APRE 10/6/3
Bench Press APRE 3/6/10
Deadlift APRE 6/3
(Seated Face Pulls, Triceps Pushdowns, Curls, Abwork / 3-4x)

This below, then 1.2, then Beach body challenge

The intensities are a little fuzzy to me but honestly I think people put to much stock in that. I assume you are putting in the work you can handle each exercise/workout which is exactly the job of RPE with out the fancy acronym. When this stalls then it will be time to get a bit more organized.

More Rowing, by a lot. Consider the tonnage and effort of pushing to pulling and know that you should do more Pulling than Pushing.

(Modern people generally live way too much with crappy posture causing all kinds of crappy shoulder issues so to help balance that we should pull more than push.)

Exercise Selection:

Facepull: These are fine for a warm up or cool down but they really cant be relied on to offset Pressing Movements. A Barbell Row Variation.

1 Arm Dumbell Row: Same as Facepull, I prefer these to facepulls but would still consider them Tier 2. Any Barbell Row Variation will offer significantly more stimulus. (Pendlay, Power, T-Bar etc)

Power Shrugs: Tier 2 so I wouldnt build a workout around it. (Honestly I dont like them at all, Barbell Rows would be a far superior option to accomplish anything you want to accomplish with Shrugs.)

OK, that was the hard part: Honestly for a couple of people making one of their first programs it isnt that bad. I especially like that you are Squatting and rowing every workout.

1 Like

@BOTSLAYER

Thank you very much for your answer man! What do you mean by fuzzy? 5 x 5 are between 80 and 85%, the 5-8 sets are about 75% and like you said I donĀ“t want to put to much in that.

About the rowing, I had the same opinion on that but my trainer said that deadlifts and frontsquats have also a major impact on upper back development. But I can do the db rows on the third day as assistance instead of face pulls and do barbell rows in the first session + 100 Reps of face pulls. If I change more I canĀ“t use the texas method as template anymore.

Power Shrugs: This is a very heavy lift and I love them to hit my traps pretty hard. The highbar squats feel very well after them and I feel more warmed up for the deadlifts.

Would you consider it as a good program or do you see any other serious problems instead of the bad push and pull ratio? :slight_smile:

And again, thank you man! I appreciate that very much :slight_smile:

Fuzzy, basically just the details were out.

Think of it as Static Holds vs Full ROM.

Honestly you could just completely drop the Facepulls and do Barbell Rows every time you bench.

Any time you change anything it stops being that method. I just refeshed myself with the Texas methodā€¦you are a pretty far ways off as it is :wink:

(My only gripe with the Texas Method is that there isnt enough rowing to balance Pressing.)

Think of stimulus as the amount of weight (tonnage) multiplied by the distance traveled (ROM). If Shrugs were a Squat it would not even be a Quarter Squat. We can all hit Quarter Squats hella heavy, but a full ROM Squat with a fraction of the weight would be far superior for building muscle and/or strength.

Enter the Barbell Row. The Full ROM Shrug. Or Power Clean works too.

Fixing the Pulling exercise selection fixes Pull to Press ratio.

When you are only training 3 days in order to get the most bang for your buck you need those big stimulus exercises and the lower tier exercises dont offer enough return on your limited time investment.

Glad to help!!!

1 Like

Volume - Day:
Squat 5x5, 1x8 @80-85% or 6x6 @80%
Bench Press 5x5, 1x8 @80-85% or 6x6 @80%
Close Grip Bench Press 3x5-8 (PAUSED) @70%
Kroc Rows 8 x 6-8 (Heavy with full ROM and a bit body english)
(Seated Face Pulls, Triceps Pushdowns, Curls, Abwork / 3-4x12-15)

Medium/Power - Day:
Snatch Pulls 3-5 x 4-6
Frontsquats 3x5(-8) @75%
Press 3x5(-8) @75%
Bench Press 8x3 @70-75% (SPEED)
Chin Ups 3-4 Sets (MAX.)
(Cajin Rows, Leg Curls, Abwork / 3-4x12-15)

Intensity - Day:
Squats APRE 10/6/3 or simpel working up to a 3-5RM and down
Bench Press APRE 3/6/10 or ā€˜ā€™
Deadlift APRE 6/3 or ā€˜ā€™
Barbell Rows APRE10, Backoff 1-2 x 8-12 or 5x10 @60%
(Seated Face Pulls, Triceps Pushdowns, Curls, Abwork, Pec Fly / 3-4x12-15)

next try :smiley:

1 Like

All I can say is those look like long sessions. I used to be a high-volume guy and I wouldā€™ve been all over that but, alas, the damn calendar keeps flipping over its pages.

I had a lot of time about reading some stuff and tried things in the gym. I wonĀ“t do this plan and will start with a variation of BTM, with more benching.

What I learned:

• do more rows, pulling
  • choose a proven program

@RampantBadger
@believer423
@TrainForPain
@marcb84
@BOTSLAYER !!!

thanks for your answers guys !

2 Likes

maybe I will start a log in this forum, because itĀ“s different like in Germany. The guys here write a lot, make jokes and have fun! And I guess it will help to improve my english skills a bit :smiley: I need it for studying

2 Likes

Iā€™ve went through BTM and itā€™s no joke. Make sure you eat, sleep, recover. Good luck to you!