T Nation

3 Month BBB Challenge: Getting It Together


#1

Hi!

So I'm done reading the Beyong 5 3 1 Wendler book.

And now I am cooking things together and what I got so far is this:

Bear with me since I am not a native English speaker and not a fitness Guru

Each Training:
Mobility: Defranco Agile 8

Warm up:

Reps	%

Set 1 10 Bar
Set 2 5 30%
Set 3 3-5 35%
Set 4 3-5 40%
Set 5 3-5 45%

Now I wanna know if my first day is correct, because on page 84 he says you have to do do assistance work after assistance work. But he doesn't go into the specifcs of that meaning after I did my shoulder workout I have to do some pulldowns but how many??

So I got the following ( I still need to get my 1 RM correctly now I just used a calculator)

1 RM in KG: 60 kg
1 TM in KG: 54 kg

Shoulder Press Lift this shit Reps %
Set 1 35kg 5 65
Set 2 41kg 5 75
Set 3 46kg 5 85

Assistance Work Lift this shit Reps %
Set 1 27kg 10 50
Set 2 27kg 10 50
Set 3 27kg 10 50
Set 4 27kg 10 50
Set 5 27kg 10 50

Lat Pulldown
???
???
???


#2

Read a few pages ahead - 87/88. All your questions will be answered.


#3

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Read a few pages ahead - 87/88. All your questions will be answered.[/quote]

I have 2 additional questions and please do not kill me.

  • Do I put joker sets in the 3 month BBB challenge (you say no mixing things up with the 3 month BBB challenge). But in other pages of the book you say go for joker sets whenever you can.

  • I just finished my month so I did a new PR +10 kg on shoulder presses. Do I have to incorporate this into the second month, if so how? Or do I have to keep going with the original schedule?

And one off-topic question, do you ever do these talk sessions in Europe?

Now for some “bragging” I am really fan of the book and the workouts they really give me nice structure and feasible goals.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Vincent (Belgium)


#4

[quote]Vinozio wrote:

  • I just finished my month so I did a new PR +10 kg on shoulder presses. Do I have to incorporate this into the second month, if so how? Or do I have to keep going with the original schedule?[/quote]

I can take that one: stick with the original thing. The fact that you are breaking PRs is a direct expression of the fact that the method is working.

I know from experience that it is very tempting in the beginning to increase the TM because you just set a new big PR. But this is perfectly normal :smiley:


#5

Thanks for the quick reply man! Appreciate the answer.


#6

[quote]Vinozio wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Read a few pages ahead - 87/88. All your questions will be answered.[/quote]

I have 2 additional questions and please do not kill me.

  • Do I put joker sets in the 3 month BBB challenge (you say no mixing things up with the 3 month BBB challenge). But in other pages of the book you say go for joker sets whenever you can.[/quote]
    Do the challenge as is. It is a challenge, not a template. Change rien, fait comme c’est ecrit.

Confused, are you doing the challenge? 6 weeks? 13 weeks? If yes, do as is, do not change a thing. Last sets are required reps only. Nothing more.

And, you up your TM by 2.5kg only from your last TM numbers. Don’t fuck with the TM.

Not sure why you did more for the shoulders then needed. Letting us know exactly which template you are doing or challenge would be good.


#7

[quote]Vinozio wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Read a few pages ahead - 87/88. All your questions will be answered.[/quote]

I have 2 additional questions and please do not kill me.

  • Do I put joker sets in the 3 month BBB challenge (you say no mixing things up with the 3 month BBB challenge). But in other pages of the book you say go for joker sets whenever you can.

  • I just finished my month so I did a new PR +10 kg on shoulder presses. Do I have to incorporate this into the second month, if so how? Or do I have to keep going with the original schedule?

And one off-topic question, do you ever do these talk sessions in Europe?

Now for some “bragging” I am really fan of the book and the workouts they really give me nice structure and feasible goals.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Vincent (Belgium)[/quote]

  1. No. Do it as written.

  2. Keep with the planned progress - DO NOT CHANGE YOUR TM to reflect the new PR. This is a huge mistake. HUGE. It goes against the principles of the program and training common sense. There are good days and bad days in training - everyone knows that. You have to account for them.

Glad you like the program - remember training is a process, not a snapshot.