3 Mile Run Time

I need to get my 3 mile run time down, preferably to below 20 minutes, and I have about 3 weeks. I currently run it in just barely under 25 minutes.

What would your tips be on how to drop my time as quickly as possible? Intervals? 3 mile runs? Longer than 3 miles? Long hikes?

Just for background I’m 6’3" 188 right now, guessing I’ll drop back down to about 180 in this next month, not a problem though as long as I don’t drop below that.

In three weeks, you want to run sub-7 minute miles?

I found this article for you:

But three weeks is not a lot of time. In reality, you probably only have two weeks. You don’t want to risk getting injured the week before your timed run. And you’re supposed to ease back every three weeks anyway.

The sub 7 minute part isn’t hard, it’s 3 of them in a row that’s hard. And yeah, I’ve been thinking that intervals are probably my best bet.

I honestly dont think improving your 3 mile by 5+ minutes is possible in just 3 weeks. However if I had to do something like that, then the obvious thing to do is focus on loosing weight. whenever I loose just a few lbs my run times improve. other then that, 1-2 longer runs per week to get mileage in+ 1 km intervals at a faster than race pace to get you used to the tempo required. Also, run hills. If you are used to running uphill, then running on flat seems comparatively alot easier.

Keep us updated on how this goes, would love to see you prove me wrong.

I’ve made this sort of improvement inside of a month before so it might be possible. Here’s what I did :

1. Lose as much weight as possible. Low carb works for me.
  2. Concentrate on hill runs, sprinting and hill intervals. I found a STEEP hill and did 20 mins of climbs at as fast pace as I coudl muster. Prob at least 3-4x a week for the next few weeks.
  3. Do one slow long run a week just to keep stuff fluid and distance up
  4. Get a lot of sleep to recover
  5. Prep like hell the day before. Carb loading is also BS for a run of this short distance, it’s just extra weight you need to carry.
  6. Go into the race warm and ready to go hard from the start.
  7. Run hard and don’t let up the entire 3miles.

that’s about it.

If you have a good base already as in you can run at least 2x that distance okay then I reckon you’re in good stead. Otherwise it’s going to be a challenge for sure!

andrew

why do you only have 3 weeks to get your time down?

Drop weight seriously even 3 or 4 lbs can have a big impact. Also trying to run your test in the morning your always lighter in the morning and chances are your at your freshest. When it comes to training sprints and intervals man. My drill Sgts drilled me when I got to basic cause I could hardly run a 16:00 min 2 mile after only 2 weeks of killing sprints and quarter repeats I hit my 2 miles in 13:47 not amazing but great for me. Also don’t focus on trying to extend your legs out farther when running really focus on just having quick feet and moving faster not long striding.

[quote]whatever2k wrote:
I honestly dont think improving your 3 mile by 5+ minutes is possible in just 3 weeks. However if I had to do something like that, then the obvious thing to do is focus on loosing weight. whenever I loose just a few lbs my run times improve. other then that, 1-2 longer runs per week to get mileage in+ 1 km intervals at a faster than race pace to get you used to the tempo required. Also, run hills. If you are used to running uphill, then running on flat seems comparatively alot easier.

Keep us updated on how this goes, would love to see you prove me wrong. [/quote]

can’t wait. 23:13 yesterday

[quote]ozzyaaron wrote:
I’ve made this sort of improvement inside of a month before so it might be possible. Here’s what I did :

1. Lose as much weight as possible. Low carb works for me.
  2. Concentrate on hill runs, sprinting and hill intervals. I found a STEEP hill and did 20 mins of climbs at as fast pace as I coudl muster. Prob at least 3-4x a week for the next few weeks.
  3. Do one slow long run a week just to keep stuff fluid and distance up
  4. Get a lot of sleep to recover
  5. Prep like hell the day before. Carb loading is also BS for a run of this short distance, it’s just extra weight you need to carry.
  6. Go into the race warm and ready to go hard from the start.
  7. Run hard and don’t let up the entire 3miles.

that’s about it.

If you have a good base already as in you can run at least 2x that distance okay then I reckon you’re in good stead. Otherwise it’s going to be a challenge for sure![/quote]

Right now I’m doing cardio every other day on an ABC rotation.

A: 3 mile run for time, then try to maintain pace for another .5 miles, then .5 mile cooldown very slow jog/walk

B: Bike 10 miles, maintaining heart rate above 160. 5 min cool down

C: 2 mile run at 3 mile pace, last mile is intervals of 30 sec on 1 min off.

probably won’t drop much weight as I’m currently 6’3" ~185 @ around 5-8%

[quote]spk wrote:
andrew

why do you only have 3 weeks to get your time down?[/quote]

My OTS recruiter told me since I got my paperwork in early I could move my fitness test up a month if I wanted to to give me a better shot at getting what I want. So I did.

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:

[quote]whatever2k wrote:

Keep us updated on how this goes, would love to see you prove me wrong. [/quote]

can’t wait. 23:13 yesterday[/quote]

Nice work, congrats.

How long have you been running?

Played soccer in high school, so lots of running in the past. But haven’t actually started doing hard cardio again until like 2 weeks ago, before that was pretty much just lifting and trying to bulk.

22:19 This Wednesday 12/05/12

Hey man might be abit late to help but im a distance runner and i found that doing interval runs where the biggest speed changer, if you dont teach yourself to run at the fast speed then you wont be able to keep it up.
My man running program for 3 mi [ ~5k ] was

Intervals 4 x 1k [ ~0.625 mi ] with 1 mins rest between, you can have longer rest if you want this part of the training was to teach you to run with speed … not running while tired

Hill day ~1.6 mi hill run going fast up hills and slow or recovering down hill [ this will also depend on the location you train and of there are any good hills]

Distance Day run 4 mi at about 80% effort the whole way will make 3 mile feel shorter

[quote]Dacka wrote:
Hey man might be abit late to help but im a distance runner and i found that doing interval runs where the biggest speed changer, if you dont teach yourself to run at the fast speed then you wont be able to keep it up.

Intervals 4 x 1k [ ~0.625 mi ] with 1 mins rest between, you can have longer rest if you want this part of the training was to teach you to run with speed … not running while tired

Hill day ~1.6 mi hill run going fast up hills and slow or recovering down hill [ this will also depend on the location you train and of there are any good hills]

Distance Day run 4 mi at about 80% effort the whole way will make 3 mile feel shorter

[/quote]

Cool man appreciate the tip. Right now I’m trying to run a 3.5 mile at the same pace as my previous 3 mile, that way I’m always able to up the pace next time I test my 3

Ran a 21:18 on my test. Not below 20 but a hell of a lot closer than where I started, thanks for the support guys.

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
Ran a 21:18 on my test. Not below 20 but a hell of a lot closer than where I started, thanks for the support guys.[/quote]

Heck of an improvement indeed. Congratulations!

[quote]Dacka wrote:

[/quote]

Good advice in there. I hit 18 minutes for the first time doing something very similar.