3 Items

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i think im going to take Matrices next semester, anyone have thoughts on that?

“Matrices”? :-/ You mean Linear Algebra?

[/quote]

no, i mean matrices.

i guess its like substitution method. i just looked at some in my book and idk they arent what i thought they were. i thought it was just closed set stuff.

ill probaly just take the next version of the course im in now.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

i think im going to take Matrices next semester, anyone have thoughts on that?[/quote]

I think the first Matrix was really good, but the second and third Matrices sucked.

we kinda upgraded this week

theres like 2 weeks left of school and now the prof busted out the challenging stuff.

can you believe we actually have to memorize formulas now?

its the stuff for sequential and geometric patterns.

so like if someone said

“ill pay you 5 cents a day and triple the amount every day for 15 days”, theres a formula for that.

A1 = N (A1+R)^N-1 or some bullshit like that [/quote]

That’s basic compounding interest.

Principal * (1 + rate) ^ (periods); assuming the rate is < 100%. If the rate is >= 100%, there’s no need for the “1 +” part of the formula.

For your example: $0.05 * (3)^(15) = $717,445.35.

That’s a formula that you should know by heart.

goochadamg wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

no, i mean matrices.

i guess its like substitution method. i just looked at some in my book and idk they arent what i thought they were. i thought it was just closed set stuff.

ill probaly just take the next version of the course im in now.[/quote]

Matrices are used for a lot of shit, but they’re used most famously in linear algebra. They have a HUGE range of applications, and you’ve probably only been exposed to one in your course (probably guassian elimination with a matrix in row echelon form). I’ve been exposed to matrices in various different contexts: graph theory, relations, and linear algebra to name a few.

What school are you attending? Is there actually a class called “matrices”?

Anyway, if you like this shit, think about taking an intro to CS course (programming) or look into the discrete mathematics class that CS majors are required to take.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

I think the first Matrix was really good, but the second and third Matrices sucked.[/quote]

Win.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
goochadamg wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

no, i mean matrices.

ill probaly just take the next version of the course im in now.

Matrices are used for a lot of shit, but they’re used most famously in linear algebra. They have a HUGE range of applications, and you’ve probably only been exposed to one in your course (probably guassian elimination with a matrix in row echelon form). I’ve been exposed to matrices in various different contexts: graph theory, relations, and linear algebra to name a few.

What school are you attending? Is there actually a class called “matrices”?

Anyway, if you like this shit, think about taking an intro to CS course (programming) or look into the discrete mathematics class that CS majors are required to take. [/quote]

Discrete Mathematics… Shudder. I had that at 8AM following hockey practice that didn’t end until 1 AM the night before, an hour from campus. Needless to say, I was a very infrequent visitor to that class. Somehow crammed enough to pass the final, no idea how.

lol@ the name “discrete mathematics” sounds top secret.

ours is just called “Contemporary Math”

and yeah theres actually a course just called “Matrices”

i go to Bunker Hill Community College.

and the formulas are…

Arithmetic Sequence

An = A1 + (N -1) D

Sum of Arithmetic Sequence

Sn = N(a

fucking piece of shit computer, cut me off and i clicked submit on accident

Sum of Arithmetic Sequence

Sn = N (A1 + AN)/2

then theres something in my notes about Fibonacci Sequence…moving shapes, translations and reflections

but we didnt get far into it and will continue tomorrow

fuck my life this shit is hard.

i cant figure out this question, maybe you guys can help.

"Write the first six terms of the geometric sequence with the first term, a1, and common ratio, r.

a1 = -3000, r = .01

just so you guys know, the formula is

aN = a1r^N-1

n = the “nth” number

so the formula looks like

A6 = -3000 * .01^6-1

i dont wtf im doing wrong though because A6 = -3000000

but A1 is -3000 if you multiply by .01 to check it you get a totally different answer.

i hate this math fucking hardcore right now.

for an example heres a solved one out of the book. if you look at the end you’ll notice that if you divide the Nth number (final number of set) by the Ratio (R) however many times the list is (the Nth amount) you will end up back at A1 (which is the name for the first number in a set)

Determine the twelfth term of the geometric sequence whose first term is -4 and whose ratio is 2

a1 = -4 r = 2, and n = 12

an = a1r^n-1
a12 = -42^12-1
= -4
2^11
= -4*2048
= -8192

as a check, we have listed the first twelve terms of the sequence:

-4,-8,-16,-32,-64,-128,-256,-512…and it goes on

That is weird. Matrices are a fundamental concept of Linear Algebra. Linear Algebra is one of my favorite topics, actually.

You can find these concepts and tools in all areas of mathematics. I took a combined Linear Algebra and Ordinary Differential Equations course that has really paid dividends for me (though to be fair, I am a math major).

Not to mention that Linear Algebra is about the easiest way of solving any nontrivial system of equations.

What you may find interesting to keep in your head is that both Translations and Reflections can be represented as transformation Matrices.

The farther you go in math the more you see that subjects come back together and that each individual topic is simply a tool that can be used for analysis.

"Write the first six terms of the geometric sequence with the first term, a1, and common ratio, r.

a1 = -3000, r = .01

aN = a1r^N-1

n = the “nth” number

A6 = -3000 * .01^6-1

but A1 is -3000 if you multiply by .01 to check it you get a totally different answer.

for an example heres a solved one out of the book. if you look at the end you’ll notice that if you divide the Nth number (final number of set) by the Ratio (R) however many times the list is (the Nth amount) you will end up back at A1 (which is the name for the first number in a set)

Determine the twelfth term of the geometric sequence whose first term is -4 and whose ratio is 2

an = a1r^n-1
a12 = -42^12-1
= -4
2^11
= -4*2048
= -8192

-4,-8,-16,-32,-64,-128,-256,-512…and it goes on[/quote]

You seem to have it right. Be very careful with parenthesis. I assume that you are entering this into a calculator. Try it like this:

A6 = -3000 * (r^(6-1))

Are you using a simple scientific calculator? I hate those because you generally cannot evaluate anything with any control over parenthesis.

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

a1 = -3000, r = .01

aN = a1r^N-1

n = the “nth” number

A6 = -3000 * .01^6-1

an = a1r^n-1
a12 = -42^12-1
= -4
2^11
= -4*2048
= -8192

-4,-8,-16,-32,-64,-128,-256,-512…and it goes on

You seem to have it right. Be very careful with parenthesis. I assume that you are entering this into a calculator. Try it like this:

A6 = -3000 * (r^(6-1))

Are you using a simple scientific calculator? I hate those because you generally cannot evaluate anything with any control over parenthesis.[/quote]

im using the calculator on Microsoft, lol. it has an exponet feature though so its kinda like a scientific calculator, but it cant graph or anything.

so i do the exponets first. PEMDAS, 6-1 ^ R * -3000

my problem is multiplying -3000 by .01 because it gives you
1 -3000
2 -30
3 -.3
4 -.003
5 -.0003
6 -.00003

that A6 is not equal to -3000 so im obviously doing something fundamentally wrong.

1 -3000
2 -30
3 -.3
4 -.003
5 -.0003
6 -.00003

that A6 is not equal to -3000 so im obviously doing something fundamentally wrong. [/quote]

No, you’re not “fundamentally wrong.” But I don’t know why you think A6 should be equal to -3000 … ?

-3000 (first term)
-3000 * .01 = -30 (second term)
-30 * .01 = -.3 (third term)
-.03 * .01 = .003 (fourth)
-.003 * .01 = .00003 (fifth)
-.00003 * .01 = .0000003 (sixth)

Right? Isn’t this what the equation gives you?

A_6 = -3000 * (.01^5) = .0000003 … ?

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
Discrete Mathematics… Shudder. I had that at 8AM following hockey practice that didn’t end until 1 AM the night before, an hour from campus. Needless to say, I was a very infrequent visitor to that class. Somehow crammed enough to pass the final, no idea how.
[/quote]

I loved every minute of discrete math. My discrete math classes (That’s right: classes. I’ve taken 3.) were the best courses I’ve ever taken. Loved 'em. I thought they were all tough, full of proofs, but oh so fun. Nth dimensional cubes. Error correcting codes. Transitive closures. Homomorphisms & Isomorphisms. Graph planarity. Fun stuff.

What kills me is, I can’t help but think that a proper math major would fall asleep from boredom during these type of courses. :-/

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:

I loved every minute of discrete math. My discrete math classes (That’s right: classes. I’ve taken 3.) were the best courses I’ve ever taken. Loved 'em. I thought they were all tough, full of proofs, but oh so fun. Nth dimensional cubes. Error correcting codes. Transitive closures. Homomorphisms & Isomorphisms. Graph planarity. Fun stuff.

What kills me is, I can’t help but think that a proper math major would fall asleep from boredom during these type of courses. :-/

[/quote]

I know I did. :slight_smile:

If you want some really interesting stuff, the history of mathematics course I took was my favorite math course thus far though I imagine that was more due to the professor and the way he put together the course.

He assigned a creative writing math term paper.

[quote]
im using the calculator on Microsoft, lol. it has an exponet feature though so its kinda like a scientific calculator, but it cant graph or anything.

so i do the exponets first. PEMDAS, 6-1 ^ R * -3000

1 -3000
2 -30
3 -.3
4 -.003
5 -.0003
6 -.00003

that A6 is not equal to -3000 so im obviously doing something fundamentally wrong. [/quote]

You are having calculator problems. The equation you are using is correct.

Two options:

1. Google calculator. Just type that shit, with proper parenthesis, into google. It will calculate for you.

2. Get a real calculator.

Ok, three options:

1. Just multiply .01 by itself, five times. Then multiply by -3000. That is the same thing.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:

[/quote]
Not so fun with no sleep! Also, not so fun trying to figure out after having ditched it for most of the semester. Actually, I’m a computer eng., 2 classes away from a math minor just because of the math required for my major. I thought Linear Alg. was probably the most fun, followed by applied computational mathematics, but that one was taught by a Russian dude, and he got a little hard to understand. I always enjoyed proofs and logical problems vs. shit like advanced integrations, etc. which always seemed like rote work instead of thinking.

so for my math HW there is a problem

“their are three errers in this item. See if you can find all three”

my conjecture is

their = there

errers = errors

and

the third error is the statement “there are three errors in this item” because there are only two.

amirite?[/quote]

Well… there is no such thing as a mathematical “item”, it would be considered a “statement” or and “object”.

I would just say. Integrals are the bitch.

aN = -3000*r^(N-1)

r=.01

a1 = -3000(.01^0) = -3000

a2 = -3000(.01^1) = -30

a3 = -3000(.01^2) = -.3

a4 = -3000(.01^3) = -.003

a5 = -3000(.01^4) = -.00003

a6 = -3000(.01^5) = -.0000003

oh my goodness! it’s a geometric series.

See the pattern…? you should be able to guess what the N++ term is going to be from there.