T Nation

3 Day Workout vs 5 Day

Okay, I’m a bit confused. Again.

Two years ago when I use to lift in School, we would lift 5 days a week doing an A-B-A-B-A Plan, A being bench clean squat, B being Curls/tri ext, High pulls, Militaries etc. I gain’ed 25 ibs in 15 weeks doing it, however I always read never to workout 2 consecutive days in a row. Am I missing something, because I noticed a lot of those lifts I was doing was infact working the same muscle 2 days in a row VIA, Military/Bench.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

When you’re young, recovery abilities are amazing. Many coaches push the limits of the young guys. Young people can work out more often, still recover, and grow.

So, at 20 years old, would a 5 day workout be okay?

The progress on the 3 day workout I’m doing seems to be. Low. Granted I’v only been back to lifting for 2 weeks, after 2 years. But, I havn’t even gained one pound and I’m eating correctly.

I would always say to try it out and see how you progress. I can’t say anything about your recovery abilities, nutritional habits, or outside stress.

Just make sure you are eating enough. You may have not progressed on the 3 day workouts because of not eating enough, even if you think you are. It has only been two weeks, so it may be too early to tell.

I loved weightlifting in highschool gym, i recovered so quickly and gained so quick it was great and so much fun. Wish I had a gym class now that im in university lol

3 days a week is pretty failsafe. If doing 5 days make sure you sleep well, can focus on eating a lot and are not going to be faced with a lot of stress.

I like to work out 5 to 6 times a week eat a lot sleep good amount have fun

I only lift 3 or 4 days a week depending on the routine. I can’t go at the intensity I want and recover doing more then that.

Lifting 5 days a week shouldn’t be a problem as long as your eating and resting enough. If you feel like you would make more progress lifting 5 days a week then try it. Make sure to track your progress.