3 Day Strength & Metcon Plan?

Hi,

Noob here looking for some inspiration. I find my clients get really good fat loss results from combining strength and met con in the same workout. Just curious if any of you know of any plans that fit this? Just need some help mixing things up a bit to avoid going stale.

Thanks,

Neil

How do you get stale from steady progress. Or, as you put it “Really good fat results”?

Also, isn’t fat loss results mostly from diet?

Lastly, if you can do two workouts in one, both work outs are suffering. Can you describe a typical day?

[quote]Stanthept wrote:
I find my clients get really good fat loss results from combining strength and met con in the same workout. Just curious if any of you know of any plans that fit this?[/quote]
Do we get a commission for helping you program your clients’ training?

If so, cool, be glad to help. If not, go read up on complexes and finishers.

Send your clients my way and I will gladly design their programming.

Are you a “noob” in the sense that you’re new to training, yourself?

Or a “noob” in the sense that you’re new to training other people?

I’m a little confused by “clients” - are you a physical therapist or a personal trainer? If you’re a personal trainer, and you have to come to a website to ask this question despite claiming that your clients are getting really good fat loss results (although you’re a “noob” so how can you already know this?)

Basically, nothing in your first post jibes with the rest of itself.

In conclusion:

1 Like

You don’t have to be a trainer to have clients who get good fat loss results. He could be an IT consultant, a lawyer, a chiropractor, or even something respectable like a prostitute or drug dealer.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
You Shall Not Pass, Dog - YouTube [/quote]
Holy crap, that’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time! I thought it was only my stupid adorable dog scared to walk past the cat.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
He could be an IT consultant, a lawyer, a chiropractor, or even something respectable like a prostitute or drug dealer. [/quote]
But then he’d have been Stantheit, Stantheesq, Stanthedc, Stantheho, or Stanthesupplier.

Use the search box, type in ‘metcon’.

That’ll be 50 bucks please.

Thanks for the input folks. To clarify, I am new to TNation, not training. I work on my own as a PT and was looking for inspiration on program design. Thought I would try and take a short cut and see if anyone had any advice on workouts that combine strength work at the start and metcon at the end. Suppose I should have used the search bar rather than ask! Sorry for the dumb post.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

You Shall Not Pass, Dog - YouTube [/quote]
Holy crap, that’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time! I thought it was only my stupid adorable dog scared to walk past the cat.
[/quote]

Always cheers me up.

I grew up in a cat family (my parents have always had 2-3 jet black cats). Sadly, my GF is allergic so I’ll probably never have one of my own (slightly soul-crushing, but I’ll deal). My brother & I dog-sat for neighbors frequently so I have plenty of affection for both the dog and the cat, but I’ve always considered the cat the superior of the two, so that video just cracks me up, seeing these 40-80 pound dogs scared to walk past a 9-pound cat.

[quote]Stanthept wrote:
I work on my own as a PT and was looking for inspiration on program design. Thought I would try and take a short cut and see if anyone had any advice on workouts that combine strength work at the start and metcon at the end.[/quote]

I think my biggest concern is that you’re advertising yourself as a PT and that you couldn’t figure this out on your own.

Forums are good for discussion. Plenty of very good trainers, coaches, etc have surely learned from one another via forum discussion. I’m certainly not opposed to the idea of intelligent discussion. But your question was so vague and so general that you come off as a “PT” (is there a legitimate certification behind this, or are you a self-advertised “PT” because you’re a random guy in good shape who thinks he can train other people?) that just strings together random shit and calls it a workout.

I mean, if you want an idea for how to “do strength work at the start and metcon at the end” - it seems pretty simple. The question is so vague that it’s pointless.

Here’s a better example:

"Hey guys, here’s a program I’ve been using with my clients to combine strength training with a MetCon finisher at the end.

Day 1

Strength: Work to Power Clean 3 RM
MetCon: 21-15-9 Thrusters / Pull-ups

Day 2

Strength: Work to Back Squat 3RM
MetCon: 50-40-30-20-10 WallBalls / Air Squats

Day 3

Strength: Work to Overhead Press 3RM
MetCon: 21-15-19 Clean-and-Jerks / 800-meter run

I chose this because (REASON) and I think (X) compliments (Y) really well on (Day Z). I’m not sure I like (EXERCISE) matched with (EXERCISE) because it seems like a lot of (SOMETHING) too close together, and I want to figure out how to program more of (EXERCISE) into the program. Any suggestions?"

(I’m not saying whether that’s a good or bad “program” - just saying that from a question like that, we can actually discuss the relative merits of each exercise choice, how they compliment one another, whether it’s a good idea to do X after Y)

that video just cracks me up, seeing these 40-80 pound dogs scared to walk past a 9-pound cat.[/quote]

Claws man. Claws.

[quote]Stanthept wrote:
I work on my own as a PT and was looking for inspiration on program design. Thought I would try and take a short cut and see if anyone had any advice on workouts that combine strength work at the start and metcon at the end.[/quote]

I think my biggest concern is that you’re advertising yourself as a PT and that you couldn’t figure this out on your own.

Forums are good for discussion. Plenty of very good trainers, coaches, etc have surely learned from one another via forum discussion. I’m certainly not opposed to the idea of intelligent discussion. But your question was so vague and so general that you come off as a “PT” (is there a legitimate certification behind this, or are you a self-advertised “PT” because you’re a random guy in good shape who thinks he can train other people?) that just strings together random shit and calls it a workout.

I mean, if you want an idea for how to “do strength work at the start and metcon at the end” - it seems pretty simple. The question is so vague that it’s pointless.

Here’s a better example:

"Hey guys, here’s a program I’ve been using with my clients to combine strength training with a MetCon finisher at the end.

Day 1

Strength: Work to Power Clean 3 RM
MetCon: 21-15-9 Thrusters / Pull-ups

Day 2

Strength: Work to Back Squat 3RM
MetCon: 50-40-30-20-10 WallBalls / Air Squats

Day 3

Strength: Work to Overhead Press 3RM
MetCon: 21-15-19 Clean-and-Jerks / 800-meter run

I chose this because (REASON) and I think (X) compliments (Y) really well on (Day Z). I’m not sure I like (EXERCISE) matched with (EXERCISE) because it seems like a lot of (SOMETHING) too close together, and I want to figure out how to program more of (EXERCISE) into the program. Any suggestions?"

(I’m not saying whether that’s a good or bad “program” - just saying that from a question like that, we can actually discuss the relative merits of each exercise choice, how they compliment one another, whether it’s a good idea to do X after Y)[/quote]

Thank you for the helpful advice. On reflection I realise my question was very vague and the only thing I managed to do was make myself look pretty stupid. However I have no shame in admitting that I am a PT (certified) and was looking for some inspiration (and maybe qualification) in program design. Though I now see I didn’t make that clear and my first ever forum post hasn’t done me any favours! Still, I’m sure people have recovered from worse!!

So, onto the plans. What I am trying to achieve is a 3 day strength & metcon program aimed at increasing strength and CV fitness, resulting in elevated EPOC.

What I have so far is:

Day 1

Squat 5 x 4 @ 80% of 1RM week 1 (working up to 3 x 3 @ 100% by week 10)
RDL 4 x 6 - 8
DB front squat 2 x 15

Metc con (as many rounds as possible in 15 mins)

Glute bridge x 10
Box jumps x 10 (20")
Sled push 2 x 10m
Air squats x 20

Day 2

Bench press 5 x 4 @ 80% of 1RM week 1 (working up to 3 x 3 @ 100% by week 10)

Incline DB press 4 x 6 - 8 (or possibly military press)

Met con

Press up burpee 21, 15, 9
Thrusters 21, 15, 9

Day 3

Deadlift 5 x 4 @ 80% of 1RM week 1 (working up to 3 x 3 @ 100% by week 10)

Pullups/Lat pulldown 4 x Max

Met con

Jump pullups 21, 15, 9 (maybe too much?)
Row 600m

My rationale for picking what I have is that 3 major lifts are covered (squat, bench, dead) and there is a progressive protocol to follow over a 10 week period. Following this I have added a bit of hypertrophy work and then the MetCons which I believe are all complementary to the previous strength element.

My concerns are: is there enough shoulder work and all together could there be too much?

Thanks in advance.

[quote]Stanthept wrote:

Glute bridge x 10
Box jumps x 10 (20")
Sled push 2 x 10m
Air squats x 20
[/quote]

This looks just awful. I can’t imagine why anyone would do box jumps or glute bridges under fatigue and for time. It’s several disasters waiting to happen.

I personally think trying to chase strength, hypertrophy and conditioning simultaneously in the same workout 3 times a week seems like a recipe to spin your wheels for months on end.

And why ask if there’s enough overhead work when there clearly isn’t any? But you’ve found space for two horizontal presses, plus plenty of push ups.

Maybe I’m just in a grumpy mood but there’s no way on this earth I would hire you as a PT. Even for free.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Stanthept wrote:

Glute bridge x 10
Box jumps x 10 (20")
Sled push 2 x 10m
Air squats x 20
[/quote]

This looks just awful. I can’t imagine why anyone would do box jumps or glute bridges under fatigue and for time. It’s several disasters waiting to happen.

I personally think trying to chase strength, hypertrophy and conditioning simultaneously in the same workout 3 times a week seems like a recipe to spin your wheels for months on end.

And why ask if there’s enough overhead work when there clearly isn’t any? But you’ve found space for two horizontal presses, plus plenty of push ups.

Maybe I’m just in a grumpy mood but there’s no way on this earth I would hire you as a PT. Even for free.[/quote]

Now I’ve had a cup of coffee, here’s the approximate template I’ve used with effect before, modified for 3 days a week:

5/3/1 FSL for the big 3 lifts followed by:
Squat day: 5x5 weighted pull-ups, 5/3/1 press immediately followed by 50 back squat reps with the weight used for the press (scale the reps used as appropriate)

Bench day: 5x5 dB clean and press, alternating sides, no rest between sets. Finish with 10 rounds of: 5 pull ups, 20 kB swings

Deadlift day: 10 minutes of “every minute on the minute”, 1 powerclean, 3 front squats. finish with 3 x 1min of farmers walks

This is slightly modified from how I ran it as I ran it 4 days a week, but this was the closest I came to a 3 day strength and met con plan that actually does everything it set out to. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Thank you for the input. Starting to realise this is the place to learn hard and fast! I’m glad you had your coffee and came back to me with the suggestions you did. Many thanks.

[quote]Stanthept wrote:
Thank you for the input. Starting to realise this is the place to learn hard and fast! I’m glad you had your coffee and came back to me with the suggestions you did. Many thanks. [/quote]

No worries. The take home point for me is that if you’re going to do a basic strength template, 5/3/1 is the way to go, then add metcons as you see fit after without interfering with the main 5/3/1 sets.

[quote]Stanthept wrote:
Thank you for the input. Starting to realise this is the place to learn hard and fast! I’m glad you had your coffee and came back to me with the suggestions you did. Many thanks. [/quote]

Kudos for your open-mindedness. Sorry to jump on you at first but a common problem in these parts is the Really Vague Question (“Hi guys, I want to get big and strong, can anyone recommend a program?”) that sorta implies laziness and/or unwillingness to do one’s own research. When you combine that with an asserion that you’re a personal trainer, it gets really bad because it looks like you don’t have a goddamn clue and have no business training people.

Anybody can string together a bunch of random shit that will get someone sweaty and call themselves a personal trainer.

Your follow-up post, although your program got critiqued, is a good thing because you’ve given some material for others with expertise in the area to actually help you beyond saying “Use the search bar and read some articles.”

Please, stay around and contribute your experiences.

Hey thanks for that. I was thinking about leaving but will hang around now. I will be a bit more specific about the questions I ask in future! You’re right, I looked lazy AND made it seem I didn’t have a clue. Didn’t do myself any favours. The hard way is the best way sometimes. See you around.

Thanks again and point totally taken on the leg day. Appreciate your help in steering me in the right direction.