T Nation

3 Day Size and Strength Routine Ideas?

G’day just getting back into training after a lay off and was after some ideas for a 3 day routine for size and strength, I understand questions like this are very common but I would really appreciate feed back from some of the experienced guys around the board .

I have a relitively physical job theses days and a young family, starting my calories off around 3200 with a 40%30%30% p,c,f just goning to see how my body respond to that because I’ve been eating total crap for a while and inconsistently
Thanks

What do you have in mind? It’s easier if you throw some ideas out there first, so we have a better idea of your priorities…how much volume you wanna start with…stuff like that.

push/pull/legs…?

To be honest JSK mate I’m not really sure that’s why I thought I’d put a post up here and try and get a range of opinions

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
push/pull/legs…?[/quote]
Ok so just something simple mate and work the fuck out of it?

unless youre 320lbs you dont need 320g of protein. after about 1g/lbs its basically expensive, less good (imo) tasting carbs.
try 1g/lbs protein (for bulking), less than half that amount in fat and the rest carbs

the rest is pretty much try and error (amount of total calories as far as weight gain goes). if youd like to bulk, go for about 1-2lbs/month in weightgain. 2lbs might even be a little too much, 1lbs is good.

you may want to provide some more info on yourself tho because youre leaving us pretty much with nothing. weight, height, length of “training career”, length of not training, maybe some strength data so we can approximate how experienced you are. since we are in the bb-section, pics wouldnt hurt, either :slight_smile:

[quote]tryn2gain wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
push/pull/legs…?[/quote]
Ok so just something simple mate and work the fuck out of it?[/quote]

also depends very much on how experienced you are. the approach you just came up with will work for beginners but sure as shit wont do much after a certain point.

full body 3x a week?

DC?

Um weigh round 100kgs at bout 20%bf 6ft tall

[quote]Kooopa wrote:

[quote]tryn2gain wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
push/pull/legs…?[/quote]
Ok so just something simple mate and work the fuck out of it?[/quote]

also depends very much on how experienced you are. the approach you just came up with will work for beginners but sure as shit wont do much after a certain point.[/quote]

I actually just made this thread for posters just like you Kooopa: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/jskrabac#myForums/thread/5312471/

This looks fun. I have no idea if it’s appropriate for your situation, I’m just throwing it out there. :slight_smile:

LH?s Powerbuilding Routine: (LH is Mike Ruggierra)

Mondays

Bench Press 3 working sets(not including warm ups) 5-7reps for 2-3weeks then switch to 3-5reps

Incline Bench Press 3sets of 6-8, no need for warm up sets(throw in db’s in place of barbells once in awhile for something different)

Flat Bench Db Presses or Flyes 3sets of 10

Lat pulldowns, bent rows, low pully rows, db rows, and so on and so on. Pick two or three exercises, vary your reps. Obviously the lower the reps scheme the more weight you should use. Train it hard, you’re only training it once a week.

Abs-you decide.

Wednesday

Squats 3-4 working sets(not including warm ups) 5-7 and 3-5 reps schemes work best

Deadlifts can be done if desired or in substituteof another exercise. 3sets of 3-5

Leg Curls 3sets of 8-10(stiff legs can be used instead of leg curls but not with regular deadlifts

Leg Ext. 3sets of 8-10( I don’t care too much for these but some people do)

Bicep work- pick a couple of exercises, 3sets of whatever.

Abs-again you decide

Train hard, remember, your only hitting these muscle groups once a week.

Fridays

Close Grip Bench 3sets of 5-7(not including warmups)

Front Presses 3sets of 3-5 reps

Tricep extensions(two handed with either e-z curl bar or db’s) 3sets of 8-10

Dips or pushdowns 3sets of whatever

Side Laterals 3sets of 10-12

Abs- you got it, you decide

Last time… train these muscle groups hard. Once a week means hard and heavy(according to rep schemes).

[quote]hastalles wrote:
This looks fun. I have no idea if it’s appropriate for your situation, I’m just throwing it out there. :slight_smile:

Mondays

Bench Press 3 working sets(not including warm ups) 5-7reps for 2-3weeks then switch to 3-5reps

Incline Bench Press 3sets of 6-8, no need for warm up sets(throw in db’s in place of barbells once in awhile for something different)

Lat pulldowns, bent rows, low pully rows, db rows, and so on and so on. Pick two or three exercises, vary your reps. Obviously the lower the reps scheme the more weight you should use. Train it hard, you’re only training it once a week.

Abs-you decide.

Wednesday

Squats 3-4 working sets(not including warm ups) 5-7 and 3-5 reps schemes work best

Deadlifts can be done if desired or in substituteof another exercise. 3sets of 3-5

Leg Curls 3sets of 8-10(stiff legs can be used instead of leg curls but not with regular deadlifts

Abs-again you decide

Fridays

Last time… train these muscle groups hard. Once a week means hard and heavy(according to rep schemes).
[/quote]

Classic routine, Ruggiera is a beast.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]hastalles wrote:

Mondays

Abs-you decide.

Wednesday

Abs-again you decide

Fridays

[/quote]

Classic routine, Ruggiera is a beast.
[/quote]

When I grow up, I wanna be a Ruggiera.

Check this out. First pic is age 15, 135 lb. Second pic is a fucking animal.

i wrote this awhile ago

day1 push
bench variation to 6rm
DB press - 2x40seconds
tricep work - 3x40seconds
pushups 2xf
accessory shoulder work 2x12

day3 pull
c&j 5x1
pullup/variation as many as you can in 10 minutes (beat each week)
barbell row - 4-5x15
upperback (face pull, shrug, etc. use a bar + different grips to engage different parts of the upper back) 100 reps
rear delt fly - 3x30seconds
biceps 3x15

day5 squat
squat/dead/good morning variation to 6rm
romanian deadlift - 3x20
leg press - 3x8-10
kettlebell swing (use dumbbell if you have to) - 15 swings, 1 minute rest, 15 swings, etc. repeat till you die

if you can only get to the gym 3 days a week, you could easily add in a bodyweight session at home. It would be small, but aid in recovery, work capacity, and muscle size.

"When I grow up, I wanna be a Ruggiera.

Check this out. First pic is age 15, 135 lb. Second pic is a fucking animal. "

Pic 1 is normal, atheletic 15 yr old.

Pic 2 is fat looking, overweight looking, poorly balanced man, look slike he’d collapse if he ran a mileand who will probably have a heart attack at between the ages of 55 - 65. Oh and your honest opinion - you think roids were never in the picture…?

[quote]leon36 wrote:
"When I grow up, I wanna be a Ruggiera.

Check this out. First pic is age 15, 135 lb. Second pic is a fucking animal. "

Pic 1 is normal, atheletic 15 yr old.

Pic 2 is fat looking, overweight looking, poorly balanced man, look slike he’d collapse if he ran a mileand who will probably have a heart attack at between the ages of 55 - 65. Oh and your honest opinion - you think roids were never in the picture…?[/quote]

you feel better about yourself now there big guy…heh? heh?

No offence but that’s how he looks, doubt he keep pace for a 15 min decent paced run.

BTW on other site’s I’ve read that this site is mostly for those on Anabolic Steroids hence the T in the title. Is that true or an urban legend?

If that is the case, I was not aware of that. I have found other sites much much friendlier.

[quote]hastalles wrote:

Mondays

Abs-you decide.

Wednesday

Abs-again you decide

Fridays

[/quote]

Yeah that looks solid I was thinking along similar lines

I had in mind
Monday chest arms
Incline press 4x6 ramping up to top set
Dips 4x8-10
Flys 3x10-12
Super set 4x 8 ramping to top set
Close grip press
Curls
Super set 4x10-12
Incline curls