T Nation

3 Day routine - please comment

I’ve been doing an upper/lower split (4 days per week for some time), but I find with the heavy complex aspect, I don’t recover in time. Recently switched to a 3 day routine. Rotating upper and lower (so AB1A, next week = B2AB3)

Other notes:

• All sets (except for those marked otherwise) are ramped with 6 reps per set. When I reach 6 rep max weight I add in a cluster set of 2,2,2.
  • When performing Lower Day just once per week, I do Squat and deadlift on the same day. I don’t aim for PR’s and reduce the ramped sets.
  • I have a rotator cuff injury and am avoiding pressing movements. For this reason I use the shoulder shocker , and add in some incline bench press.

Here’s the routine:

Routine A
Bench Press
Weighted Chin Ups
Barbell Row
Triceps Dips + 2 sets of higher rep tricep isolation work
Shoulder Shocker - 3 sets (7-10 rep range)
Supplementary : Full incline bench â?? 3 sets of 9-12 reps

Routine B1
Squat *
Deadlift *
Bicep Straight Bar + 1 set of preacher curl (high rep)
Standing Calve Raisers
Abs
Supplementary: Traps â?? 2/3 sets (10-15 reps)

Routine B2
Squat
Stiff-Leg Deadlift
Bicep Straight Bar + one high rep preacher curl set
Standing Calve Raisers
Abs
Supplementary: Traps â?? 2/3 sets

Routine B3
Deadlift
Squats â?? 4/5 sets (10 -15 reps)* Focus is in higher reps, and speed
Bicep Straight Bar + one high rep preacher curl set
Standing Calve Raisers
Abs
Supplementary: Traps â?? 2/3 sets

Of course my aim is to add weight and progress.

Some thoughts on the balance of the program would be great?

Thanks in advance!

Looks somewhat balanced. I would do another chest/pressing movement for reps after benching. Also if you have a shoulder injury can you really barbell bench? You should get that resolved.

Look up Westside for skinny bastards… your split is very similar to that. I’m not saying you should necessarily do that instead, but it will give you a good idea about rotating exercises.

Why don’t you go for PR’s on squats and deads?

If hypertrophy is your only goal, I would still recommend PR’s, but perhaps you would be better suited by a more bodybuilder-esque program

[quote]swhole milk wrote:
Looks somewhat balanced. I would do another chest/pressing movement for reps after benching. Also if you have a shoulder injury can you really barbell bench? You should get that resolved.

Look up Westside for skinny bastards… your split is very similar to that. I’m not saying you should necessarily do that instead, but it will give you a good idea about rotating exercises.

Why don’t you go for PR’s on squats and deads?

If hypertrophy is your only goal, I would still recommend PR’s, but perhaps you would be better suited by a more bodybuilder-esque program[/quote]

Hey man, that’s for the input!

Um. My shoulder injury is an old injury. It is only aggrivated when I do overhead presisng movements. SO I have thus eliminated those. Heavy barbell bench is not a problem, and the same with inlcine barbell press. I included the second chest movement (incline barbell, for reps, not ramped), to give some extra shoulder work and more chest work.

I always aim for PR’s on my ramped sets, that’s what I really like about ramping with sets of 6. I like challenging my previous best. And I find the cluster sets help make the transition between weights, more managable. The only time I don’t go for PR is when I do Deadlifts and squats in the same session (upper/lower/upper week). When it’s lower/ upper/lower week, then I deadlift and squat get their own day and I aim for PR’s.

I like this style of training where my ramped sets take care of hypertrophy, but I still have a PR focus at the end.

Any other minor adjustments that could be useful?

Nother note - I’ve incorporated the 50-100 reps of bodyweight calf raisers at home, everyday, as per the laging calve article posted on this website. I also use this principle for some additional forearm training on non workout days…

Thanks^^

Gotchya. Tough to PR on both lifts the same day… lol

I wouldn’t say that ramped sets take care of hypertrophy, in fact I would say the opposite. They have their place, certainly, in size building, but ramping sets is definitely more of a strength strategy. In any case, I think it is a good idea.

Overall things look pretty good. Just start lifting and adjust from there. The usual eat a lot and stuff… if you wanna get big… eat big…

At that volume I would be able to do 2 upper days per week without sacrificing strength. Our rates of recovery might be different though. Or perhaps you just eat a lot less than I do. If you were to do this, I would recommend changing a few exercises around, in particular heavy benching-- for that shoulder! lol. Either do 50-60% for reps, 50-70% for speed, or db’s for reps/speed.

Your biceps volume is especially low. I find that biceps, like calves, heal quite quickly.

Anyways, I put on 40ish pounds over the winter. Hindsight affords us the opportunity to learn from our experiences the painful way, the regretful way. If I were to do it again I would have done some form of cardio at least once a week, probably twice. Not to manage fat or anything, just for overall health. Up to you.

Thanks for the advice^

I felt that my biceps got quite a lot of work - especially with the heavy weighted chin ups, straight bar, and some additional supplementary work. I also do my bent over rows with a palms up grip. Do you still think I might be shy of some volume for biceps?

I used to run this program 4 days per week - but I just felt I couldn’t recover in time. I then tried keeping two upper/lower days as is and added in another two upper/lower days with high reps, and no sets close to failure. But that still didn’t give me enough time to recover. FOllowing the traiditional 5 day single body slip gave me enough recovery time, but it’s just not as enjoyable for me as a routine like I am running now. Hence, how I decided to listen to my body and drop to just 3 days a week (but still hitting each muscle group more often than on a 5 day split).

I must say that I’ve been consistently setting new PRS since I switched to the 3 day routine about a month and a half ago. I just wonder if I am using enough volume to see good growth?

Don’t worry, I know all about eating enough… When I started training I weighed just 120lbs, and managed to eat and train myself up to 205lbs! lol. I’m currently eating in a calorie defecit, getting prepared for my honeymoon :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

Anyone else ?

Thanks